2015 - Draft Strategy and Needs, Let the argument begin

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I find it interesting how people can say what specific position they want in Rd 1 right now, when the draft is over 7 months away. We have no clue where the Jets will be be drafting, who will be available and what happens in free agency.

2. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

These are some of the positions I think we should be looking at (in no order):

ILB: I'd like to see them draft Denzel Perryman. Perryman is so versatile... Another person who could be gotten in the middle rounds if they declare is Amarlo Herrera.

WR: Not too familiar with a lot of wide receivers, but maybe Rashad Greene? He runs crisp routes and has made his fair share of clutch plays. His numbers would be better but he plays in an offense that concentrates on spreading the ball. A late round guy could be DeAndrew White.

OLB: Hopefully for our sanity we won't be picking high enough to get him but Shilique Calhoun. Noah Spence can be had either later in the draft or as a UDFA, but I'm sure he'll be going back to boost his stock. Who knows though, look at the honeybadger.

G: Not too familiar again, but Josue Matias? Depending on the growth of Aboushi, Dozier, and Winters.

S: I don't think we'll be able to get Landon Collins who reminds me of a mini me Kam Chancellor with his size (6'0 222lbs). Sam Carter could be a solid middle round option. If the Antonio Allen at CB experiment doesn't work out then move him back to SS.

CB: Personally I feel the Jets should look at Byron Maxwell in the offseason. He's a Rex kind of guy, plays solid man 2 man, and is still relatively young (27). Anyway I've liked Jalen Collins from LSU for a while now. These last couple of games have been somewhat of a breakout for him. He's a long (6'2) and physical guy as well.

RB: I feel with running backs you can never have enough of them. The average life of a running backs prime years is very low. CJ2K is a just short term option and Ivory has some injury history. I don't know of many Sprole type backs in the draft but two solid power guys are Tra Carson and Michael Dyer.

TE: This isn't a glaring hole but it doesn't hurt to have depth there. Should Sudfeld have a another quiet year I say look at Jeff Heureman. His stock could take a bit of a hit with Braxton Miller not under center for the year.

P: Spencer Roth if Quigley shows no improvement.

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

It's week 2 and y'all talking bout what we need.. Lol

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

We need Cooper. Trade everything for him.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about either Zach Hodges or Jake Ryan? Ryan's ACL injury does scare me a bit, but I'd think both will make a fine OLB for this team.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Thats just stupid

Put him in a position to succeed unlike how we did Marky Mark

Geno has taken some strides this year we've already seen

7. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

I think Jake Ryan could be a solid player for depth. Could definitely get in on special teams. Hodges definitely has a lot of potential. He could certainly benefit from putting on a little more weight if he plans on going in the trenches with the big uglies every Sunday.

#47 Geno Da Meano_, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno has played 1 week. So far he has 2 TOs to 1 TD. Geno has not yet proved himself to be the Jets franchise QB, obviously my answer can change 10 weeks later, but right now I am not wasting a first rounder on a receiver.

We have put Geno in the position to succeed, we got him the coaching, we got Decker - Amaro - Kerley - CJ pretty decent weapons. This isn't like the MS era at all.

9. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Even if Geno flames out, and we need to draft a new QB two years from now, wouldn't it be better to have a stud 2nd year receiver to grow with our new QB?

Anyway, I think we'll sign a WR this offseason. It's a very good offseason for WRs, with guys like Dez, DT, Maclin, Crabtree, Cobb, and a few others set to be FAs. Obviously, not all of these guys will make it to FA (I think Dez and DT will definitely be reupped, and the other three will hit the market) but I think a Maclin/Crabtree/Cobb would be tremendous for our offense.

If you look at the CB market, it's barren. You have Revis, and then nothing. Even if Idzik/Woody would be able to get over themselves and put personal vendettas aside to bring Revis back, there is no guarantee that Idzik would believe that signing a ~14-16M CB is the best use of cap space, and I would agree with him. I'd rather sign another 7-10M WR for a stud then either 16M for a stud CB or 7-10M for an average CB.

I definitely think CB could be one of the positions we look at round 1. I'm also intrigued (depending on how late we're picking) by Melvin Gordon III. He could be the CJ2K-type RB we're looking for in our offense, since CJ2K just looks slow. I don't think he'll be with us next year.

We also need to look at our LB corps and OL. We need a pass-rusher on the other side of Coples, and we need to begin grooming an ILB to replace Harris. Our starting guards suck (we have lots of young guards with "promise", but we need to see something from them soon. I have faith in Dozier), and our tackles are getting up there in age.

We have a ton of options in our first few rounds. I think we'll end up going CB or OL in round 1.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

CB could be a strong possibility, it's still early. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon & Trea Waynes, Michigan State would be good options. IMO, both players will be better than the top 3 CBs (Gilbert, Fuller & Dennard) that went in Rd 1 last May. Waynes is more raw than Ifo, but I like his potential.

#50 WW85, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What's the chance of Mannion hanging around in round 2 or 3?

If he could be had in round 3, I'd like to see Jets start off with CB in 1st/OLB in 2nd then QB in 3rd. [CB/OLB can be swapped.]

If Geno fucks up again, I'll start "DRAFT A QB" campaign.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

If Geno doesn't pan out we should be taking a QB in the first or second round

Jeremiah George.

Gurley is the closest thing to the next AP. If a RB going in the first is a thing of the past, Gurley is the exception. I would definitely take him in the first, you have to.

From a scouting report: "Gurley is the rarest of rare combinations of high-end speed and agility at a 'big boy' NFL size... I almost cannot believe the tape. How a guy so big can move like that is true poetry in motion. He bounces off tacklers like they are not there, but you don't see that as much on tape because he rarely gets tackled in the open field. He finds a seam...and he is gone".

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think if I was going to compare Gurley to someone, it's Robert Smith, even though Gurley is 20lbs heavier than Smith was in his playing days. Their running styles are almost identical. Very deceptive speed.

14. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

It's the lines it's the lines it's the lines. Our biggest mistake was not having a top flight line in place for a young QB. They take longer to get rid of the ball and need the time. Having them be a piƱata or run to early because things break down hurts their development. A great running back, without holes to run thru, is a luxury and ineffective. Keeping TJ Barnes, a third nose, shows we get it on the D line. O line, we recently keep trying to get a player by finding one out of quantity. The team has big decisions coming that most are unaware of. In 2016, Ferguson has a cap # of 14 million and Mangold 8.6. If Ferguson goes you save nine and all of Mangolds 8.6 if he goes. Our guard play is awful (penalties put young QBs in down and distance you don't want) and our best two lineman are very expensive. If F &orM slip in 2015, you need to be ready to move on. I think round one or two you have to get one O lineman capable of being your LT of the future. He can play one of the guard spots until you have to make a decision on Brick. By the end of this year you should have an idea if any of the quantity you brought in can man the other guard spot. I think Geno gets 15 and maybe 16 to show if he can be the man. If not shoring up the line best helps him or his replacement.

15. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Gurley is a beast. If he drops in the draft its a shame but some team in the late 1st would be getting a steal. IMO he's a top 15 pick.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Eddie George is also a good comparison.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I like the BPA within reason menatlity. And right now, I think almost every position is in play in the first round. RB/DL/TE arent, but all 3 can be addressed later. QB is a big question mark, but I'm a Geno supporter so I'll assume he improves and solidifies himself as the starter.

WR/OT/OG/MLB/OLB/CB are all in play for me. Best player at any of those positions I'd be fine with. I havent done much research yet on prospects so this is just what positions we could look at.

18. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Huge CFB fan (Clemson Alum)..I'll say this Todd Gurley is a STUD. Honestly, think he is our best bet..

If we get Gurley and sign a WR..say Crabtree, that changes the O. Gurley/Ivory/Powell Combo with Decker+Crabtree+Kerley+Amaro. Very solid.

OL and CB needs to be shored up too. But this team wont be good until we get an offense.

19. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

A lot of offensive talent in this draft and FA class...we cant mess this up, again..

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That ain't gonna happen.