2015 - Draft Strategy and Needs, Let the argument begin

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LAJet, Aug 26, 2014.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For sure I'm jumping the gun and I accept that. We don't really know how the 2014 season will unfold for the Jets so to establish priorities for the 2015 draft at this stage is presumptions to say the least.

I get all that, but I very much enjoy reading inputs from some of you gurus on the draft, players to watch in college that could fit our needs and so forth. If nothing else it will help us keep an eye out for some studs while we are watching College football.

So I'll throw this out there for you guys to consider. Unless something miraculous happens, we somehow know painfully well where the draft focus and priority at least in the 1st 3 rounds needs to be in 2015. How do you guys see it?

IMHO BPA within the following priority
    1- WR
    2- CB
    3- OT
    4-OLB
    5-QB

I cannot phantom another year without going top dog WR unless Geno turns out to be a disappointment and we must go QB. Seems to me a pretty cut and dry choice, with a stud CB as the only variable.

What are the top dogs you would be thrilled with in the early rounds?

May our draft continue to move us upwards and closer to a SB.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I would switch WR with CB personally... There will be a lot of top WR's in free agency next year so I feel like we may get someone there...

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jumping the gun, yeah. If the current path continues, I'm seeing the Jets actually spend a large amount of cap space on CB and WR, draft OL early and maybe OLB as well.

Assuming QB isn't the huge question mark it was this year.

Mr. Rabbit likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree, and I suspect that MoWilk and Kerley will be under long term contracts by mid season, so the GM knows exactly where he is cap wise for 2015.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking best player available among WR/LB/OL/DB. Obviously if Geno bombs, QB jumps up to the front. If not, I'd be fine with any of those positions.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

WR and CB would be top priority. I'd love to have Revis back, albeit not a popular opinion. Drafting either Stefon Diggs, Sammie Coates, Jaelen Strong or Amari Cooper.

Or we could draft a corner and receiver. I'd also address OL, got Peat, Ogbuehi and Collins at the top. Shilique Calhoun is also an option for OLB.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

like a broken record year after year after year - WR, OLB, OL - and now CB.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's really early for this. Areas of concern at the moment won't be by next February. Other areas will open themselves up to scrutiny based on the play of veteran players as they hit and pass late prime.

In terms of the long-term structure of the team the offensive line and the linebackers are the most important areas that will likely require strengthening over the next few years. The best aging players on the team play in those two position groups in Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes/Jason Babin, etc. The next areas to look at are CB and WR, both groups having less talent than you'd like to have at the moment.

QB is an open question.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

CB depends on the play of our current group. Inside Linebacker, Wide Receiver, OL, OLB as of right now. We may have to replace David Harris. We should not wait until it's too late to look at replacements for Brick and Mangold as well.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Have a strange feeling when we do this thread one year from now, for the 2016 season, we will be chirping about the same positions. LOL.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There will be a thread about this for 2016. But the guys posting regularly will just be bitter that their binky is on another team, and they will be complaining that free agents aren't the answer.

jilozzo likes this.
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Looks like our needs prior to the 2014 draft even after 12 picks.

jilozzo likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Jets won't draft WR high, if there's anything I learned about this regime is they won't draft any WR high. More than likely we go after a Denarius Moore via FA and look at potentially the offensive line or linebackers corps and upgrade that first.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally, I kind of like this approach. You are probably right on, they might go free agency for WR and target the OL or LB

15. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

1- ILB
    2- CB
    3- OT
    4- QB
    5- OLB
    6- RB

I think the mass drafting approach is paying off at guard and will prove effective at receiver. Meanwhile, Demario Davis and Jeremiah George are the only Inside Linebackers on contract for next year.

#15 Sloup, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's not like you're trying to project 3-5 years down the road. I think this thread is perfectly acceptable.

edit: I will give my own opinion I guess. My guess, is that next off-season our main needs will be this:

1. CB
    2. WR
    3. OLB
    4. Depth everywhere else..

#16 NYJalltheway, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Draft heavy on OL. Address and CB/WR needs in FA.

18. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Very true. But its mainly because we got nothing from high draft picks like Stephen Hill, Vernon Gholston, Vlad Ducasse and ended up with an average (at best) starter in 1st rounder Kyle Wilson.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

QB
    RB
    WR
    TE
    C
    G
    T
    OLB
    ILB
    DL
    DE
    CB
    DB
    SS
    FS
    K
    P

Yeah, that's about right.

This is what I forsee us needing. You know, because Idzik signed no one worth a damn these last two years. He supposedly helped build Seattle, but hell if he's done anything worth a shit here.

legler82 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At this point, I agree with the draft priorities, although they could change. The Jets still won't know what they have in Shaq Evans and I doubt Enunwa or Salas are going to be able to do enough to change the Jets' needs for a topflight WR.

At CB, hopefully Milliner develops and has a solid year. The Jets seemed to be high on McDougle before he was injured, so CB may not be as big of a need. It will be interesting to see how Allen fares as a CB. If he succeeds, then CB definitely may move down the list of needs. I think it could probably be moved down to at least #3 if not number #4 or #5 on the list. Of course, if Milliner doesn't develop, that all changes. If they've decided to part ways with Wilson (and at this point, I hope they will), then that will certainly keep it higher on the list, but McDougle might be able to replace Wilson.

I think OT could certainly move up the list. Brick's getting older, and if he has another bad season in 2014, then next year could be his last with the team. In that case, it would be helpful to bring the guy in and let him sit for a year and learn from Brick. Additionally, we'll have to see how Giacomini plays this year. If he has a rough year, then the Jets could look to draft his replacement.

I would think that Pace probably won't be back in 2015, but if Coples plays at least at a solid level and Babin, Barnes and the DL can provide consistently excellent pressure, the need for an OLB could possibly be lowered or pushed off for another year, although I still think that they need to draft and begin grooming a young pass-rushing OLB since they can take a year or two to develop. I think Reilly will never be anything more than depth and a STs player.

I believe that Geno will prove to be the long term answer as the starting QB, but don't think Vick will be back in 2015, so at a minimum, I think the Jets will need to draft a backup QB. That would probably have to happen in the 2nd - 4th rounds,

Even though this may be David Harris's last season on the team, I think the Jets may be set at ILB. Enemkpali has shown a lot in flashes and George has as well, although to a lesser degree.

S could be an issue if Pryor doesn't produce as expected or due to his style of play, concussions/injuries become an issue. Additionally, if Allen is moved to CB permanently, then I think there will be a need at S.

I think the only positions where the team is definitely set are NT, DE, C, LT and RB. If Demario Davis continues to develop and has a breakout year, then you could add one ILB spot to that list. The same goes at QB if Geno has a breakout year. TE looks pretty good at the moment. It could also join the list. OG is still iffy. Both Winters and Aboushi have shown improvement and they have Dozier in the wings, so hopefully, it will prove to be solid.

At this point I think I'd rate the needs as follows:

WR, OT, QB, CB and perhaps FS as tossups for the most important spots.