2014 Week 2- New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Colts vs. Eagles should be interesting.

- Both QB's are in the mid-tier and trying to get up to that upper tier of elite QB's.
    - Both offensive lines give up alot of sacks and negative plays.
    - Both defenses are pretty average.
    - Colts have zero running game / Eagles have a really strong one with Shady and Sproles.
    - Colts are at a home.

This one is a tough call. My gut feeling is that the 100 or so yard difference between the running games will make all the difference and the Eagles pull out a really close one.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Aaron Rodgers is a damn good QB, definitely elite, but the Packers are going through some injury issues. They lost their starting nose tackle and 2 of their better offensive linesmen. If we can exploit them, it will be with the pass rush and running the ball down their throats. Lynch had a field day with them and their secondary didn't seem all that great either. It will probably be a very close game, considering our secondary isn't that great. If Milliner is back, our chances increase greatly. The Jets absolutely have to limit turnovers and penalties to win this one.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

I still think letting Greg Jennings walk was the biggest mistake the Packers made in recent years. Here's his numbers with Rodgers starting from 2008 - 2011. He was injured in 2012.

2008 - 80 receptions, 1292 yards, 9 TD's.
    2009 - 68 receptions, 1113 yards, 4 TD's.
    2010 - 76 receptions, 1265 yards, 12 TD's.
    2011 - 67 receptions, 949 yards, 9 TD's.

If you are going to primarily be a passing team and plan on winning alot of games then you need 2 great receivers. At the moment that have 1. This is also why the Lions are a sleeper Super-Bowl team this year. Calvin Johnson on his own is good but if that's all they have then whatever. Calvin + Tate though is scary and we saw that tonight.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

One minute you're all foaming at the mouth at the thought of signing cobb in fa next year, the next he sucks.

5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

We must get the same highlights package on TV over here. I was fuming. Totally brushed aside him completing over 80%. Even the shovel pass TD was mentioned more in the light of Tuck had a chance to make a play on it. Look on the bright side, the more that people underestimate us, the more we can surprise them.

#185 MoWilkBeast, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

His peak was 2011, yes. That was a ridiculous MVP type season. It's unrealistic to expect that to continually happen though. I think he'll stay in this top 4 category for a few more years easily. He won't be dominating the league like that just because it's so hard to do.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Exactly. Dude wants to say he is declining, yet he is still putting up all world numbers any jet fan could only dream of. It's like Kevin Durant averaging 25 ppg next year, and calling him on the downside of his career.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im not trying to take away from his 2011 season, but the lockout helped all the offenses. We had Stafford, Brady, Brees, Rodgers all throwing for 5000+ yards I believe, and Eli fell 70 yards short of 5000.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It seems that GB is vulnerable against the run. I think that big days from Chris and Chris (and maybe Bilal) could put the Jets in a decent position for a W.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Blitz them up the middle. They are young and green on the OL in the middle.

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I know it is a tall order but one can dream, right?

Shaky Pats going against Peterson and company in the Vikings season opener and losing?

On the other hand Jets maybe stealing one from the Pack and going 2-0?

What are the chances for Jets to be up 2 games over Pats and if this were to happen what would this mean for the division race?

Seriously, can't wait!!

74 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would worry about rodgers rolling out and making plays.
    Outside pressure and hope snacks can get enough push to not allow rodgers to step up.

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I believe its more likely that the Pats lose on the road in Minny than our Jets pull off a win in Lambeau.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

and those QBs were sit at home guys. Rogers uses his legs a fair amount

15. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Thank for clarifying that for me.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We may get our asses kicked big time in Green Bay. That is the realist in me, but as a NFL fan this early in the season anything can happen.

Who know, Green Bay can become the Falcons of 2013...One never knows

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

18. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Is anyone else worried that we don't have a true deep threat on the outside? That worries me more than anything else ( I am confident in our cornerbacks) but we need to put points up these next few weeks and we may be playing from behind at some points which negates our running game.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Check out the Jets on the road in 2013:

-13-10 LOSS to Patriots: Geno played AWFUL.

-38-13 LOSS at Titans: Another terrible Geno performance.

-30-28 WIN over Falcons: Definite bright spot of the road season. Geno looked very good.

-49-9 LOSS at Bengals: Worst game of the season for the whole team.

-37-14 LOSS at Bills: Another really bad performance.

-19-3 LOSS at Ravens: Could not do much at all vs. Ravens D.

-30-20 LOSS at Panthers: Not terrible, but not great either.

-20-7 WIN at Dolphins: Geno finished pretty decent, with a nice win in Miami to knock them out.

(2-6) will not get it done on the road this year though, if the Jets want to make the playoffs. And the games are not easy either. Starting this week at Green Bay, then at San Diego, New England, Kansas City, Buffalo, Minnesota, Tennessee and Miami. Now, obviously it is not easy to win on the road, but I think the Jets will need to go (4-4) to make it to the playoffs.

Hopefully Geno is more comfortable in his second year, as crowd noise can rattle a rookie QB I am sure. The Jets' Defense needs to help and they will. I expect a big improvement on the road.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Yes, I am to a degree. We certainly have the ability to a very proficient short passing game (as exhibited in week 1), but it remains to be seen whether or not we can make big plays when we need them. It may be possible that most of our big plays will be coming from our running game (we have two very explosive running backs), which excites me quite a bit.

NYJetsO12 likes this.