2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

It would appear you might have missed the entire point of my post.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So Geno according to you, will complete 50% of his passes? About 123.5 passing yards per game?

What are you smoking.

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

worked out for us pretty well last time. got all-pro season with revis and traded him for a kings ransom

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There are times when the TGG board has the remarkable knack of beating a particular subject way, and I mean waaaaay beyond reasonable death. IMHO the current position by many on the subject of Decker is rapidly approaching that.

I would like to make the following observations ( none of them original as I think most have been provided and supported by this board)

1) There is no true Tier #1 WR in this free agency, in fact there seldom ever IS one....teams protect them till the end. When a so called Tier #1 hits free agency is because either he has tremendous amount of baggage along with his talent or his salary is exorbitant. We all recognize that the likes of Decker do not commensurate to a Tier #1 but it does rapidly provide us with someone close to our own #1/2 at least until Hill either gets it or moves on. If there is someone better, then discuss that.
    2) Who said anything about paying Decker Tier #1 money. If anyone think 6-7M is tier one money you are hugely misinformed.
    3) Is insanely "jet fan like" to get pissed off at Idzik for overpaying someone that has not yet signed, might not sign, never mind giving us any hint of what the terms of the contract could be.
    4) Going into the draft without strengthening our receiving core is beyond irresponsible, and Decker is a far and away better player than most people give him credit for. He is a creditable and solid WR
    5) The biggest overused phrase - He is a product of Manning. Really? And Welker is a product of Brady and Nicks a product of Eli and so on and so forth. Great QBs make your receivers better, no shit. Yet let us completely ignore the fact that Decker proved himself before Manning, when essentially he had no QB at all to speak of. Let us also ignore the fact that if he is targeted as #1 at least the opposition recognizes him as the best the Jets have to offer which in an of itself is a large improvement, since last year it did not much matter and Kerley was overwhelmed.

In my view betting strictly on the draft is crazy. There are 3 and only three potentials to become a Tier #1 position in this draft. The rest at best can be the #2 vintage alas Decker. We might have a shot at one or may be not. If the answer is no then we might target an OT, TE, S or CB and go WR in the subsequent rounds.

So the time has come for Idzik to beef up our WR core thru free agency. If the fair value is there then lets jump on it. Decker is only part of the solution, but a combination of him and Jones could be the answer. Hell I'm out of excuses and ready to give him a chance. He is the only one right now probably with his head on straight and not acting on emotion. Thank God

NCJetsfan and DMarsh6 like this.
  5. NyJ 7n7

NyJ 7n7 Member

@MMehtaNYDN: Source: Jets have expressed interest in reinstated cornerback Brandon Browner. At this point, it's appears unlikely he ends up w/ #NYJ ... We aren't even thinkin bout revis lol

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. Just because they are looking at Browner does not mean we are not interested in Revis.

7. jerseyjay14

55ish % and 180ish yards per game. 20 td 18 int

8. jerseyjay14

dont see the need for decker and jones. get jones he is a big play guy and then get lee or evans in the draft.

9. NyJ 7n7

NyJ 7n7 Member

I know haha ... I just don't think we are at this moment ... At least it doesn't feel like it

10. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I could see us not discussing Revis, but not just because we are interested in browner. We all have to Remember how Revis left, it was a messy break up, and on top of that you have all the hold out drama there was. It's entirely possible Woddy put his foot down the minute it became a possibility that we could get Revis.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He completed 55% last season, so you believe he will not get better? Geno this season average 190 passing yards a game, so with better weapons it will drop?

20TDs to 18INts that to me could occur, but that is the only thing that could occur.

Idk man, sounds like someone is talking out of their ass.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

why not sign both guys then draft Evans or Lee too? Idzik is all about competition.

13. jerseyjay14

tate got more then he was worth. decker is going to as well. im glad we wont get either at those price tags. i dont want to tie up money on average players when we can get as good or better guys in the draft for far less. decker is the definition of an average player.

14. jerseyjay14

because we need 3 offensive lineman and that extra 7-8M goes a long way towards that

15. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Any update on a Decker/anyone else?

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Browner would be perfect for a depth move. He is suspended 4 games but can play and will be there week 5. Im not against it at all and actually recommended it when he was reinstated.

17. jerseyjay14

no need to scream and curse pal.

40 million is alot. we also have to fill the following in addition to WR:

CB
    S
    RT
    RG
    LG
    RB
    Backup QB

not to mention reserve the cash to extend and keep our pending free agents next season. your talking 25-30+ million easily to fill everything outside of our need at WR.

also, just having the money isnt an excuse to overpay an average player

18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The point is we could have, but Johhny I refuses to overpay and find value. This is a great approach as it will allow us to lock up our own players before they hit the open market (again getting value by controlling the market). I have a feeling we will be signing 4-5 mid level FA's in the upcoming days and build through the draft for the long term.

It's a totally different approach then we jets fans are used to. What's the definition of insanity....

19. jerseyjay14

as a depth move i like it. as a cromartie replacement im not a fan

20. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

Prepare to be very disappointed by this offseason.