2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Well RT Im assuming we sign the Seahawks old RT Giacomini who is basically a wash of Howard. CB or secondary in general is a need but I dont think we should have given Vontae the money he got and apparently Verner is a bad fit scheme wise.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Still some nice players out there:

Revis, Clemons, Cromartie, Streif, Pettigrew, Golden Tate, Decker, Sanders, James Jones, Sproles, McCluster

3. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

How much did Talib sign for in DEN again? I highly doubt NE will pay more for Revis than they were willing to pay for Talib, and Revis is going to want to make more than whatever Talib is getting.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Y'all are still complaining about over paying... We have alotta money and not many options left to use it on... It's really no big deal. The way idzik acts were only gonna get old one yr stop gap vets until next year anyway .. Honestly will one reach or two really hurt? We have the cheapest roster in the entire league.. And that's a fact.

5. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

McCluster is gone, he signed yesterday, can't remember where.

6. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Maurice Jones Drew.

7. NyJ 7n7

NyJ 7n7 Member

Does Tampa have till 4 pm et or 7 pm et to trade or cut revis?

8. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

4PM today EST

9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

The draft is completely stocked at WR and TE besides. It's probably 80%+ that Idzik could go Ebron 1st/best available WR 2nd or best WR 1st (possibly Evans or Lee)/ASJ 2nd. Adding 1 mid tier WR/TE was the way to go since that's all that was available anyway then adding a premiere safety or maybe CB and ideally Asamoah too. Failing to add a big defensive piece Asamoah was a must, meanwhile Idzik whiffed on both.

10. BacktoQueens

Giacomini in my opinion is a bit of a stiff, and would be a downgrade from Howard.
    Streif is the guy i'm really hoping we pursue. He's going to be 31, but he is at least an upgrade on pass pro (although prob a downgrade on run blocking).
    With either guy, considering their age and body of work, drafting an OT needs to be high on the radar as well.

In the secondary, well Revis and Clemons are out there. I'd have to check to see what other CB's still available at this point.
    i know Cro and Captain....not sure who else.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh! This thread is highly amusing even if FA for the Jets is not so much.

So, what FA IS worth overpaying for?

I love it.

You can't compare a potential contract price for an FA candidate with players currently under contract. A player's cost to a team is a combination of their contract cost and what it took to draft or trade for them. In FA you don't use a pick or a trade to get the player. So comparing their overall price to some other player under contract, where you have not taken into account other costs, is apples and oranges.

Shouldn't this be obvious to anyone who wants to post here and sound at least minimally like they know what they are talking about???

The Jets need at least two quality wideouts this off season. They are unlikely to get them both in the draft. That means they should get at least one in FA.

Who is a better option at wideout than Decker? Who is going to be picked up in FA at a bargain price compared to Decker?

If Decker in FA gets more than some arguably comparable guy under contract to a team right now, so what? The Jets can sign Decker. They can't sign someone under contract to another team, unless of course that team trades such person. Oh yeah, the Jets would have to give them something in a trade!

Too funny.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  12. NyJ 7n7

NyJ 7n7 Member

Ohh ok ... As much as some of us might want revis back ... I have not heard anything about any sort of interest from us besides Rex obviously wanting him ... So I think our chances are pretty slim barring a surprise

13. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I'd rank them like this:

1) REVIS!!!
    2) Cromartie
    3) Emmanuel Sanders
    4) James Jones

....what about Captain Munnerlyn? Isn't he available too?

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Or pay him the 1.5M roster bonus and keep him until somebody gets hurt in camp and then try to trade him.

15. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Does anyone else think the NFL is doing it backwards by having Free Agency open before the draft? I'd much rather draft and THEN fill in holes through FA.

Did the NFLPA fight to have FA before the draft as part of the CBA?

16. BacktoQueens

Ah, thx did not know that. strike another from the list..

17. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Apparently Revis wants to come back here too. The question is whether Idzik or Woody want him back.
    "Revis also "loves" Rex Ryan, Rapoport reported, per a person close to Revis, and is open to a Jets return."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...revis-trade-from-bucs-now-considered-unlikely

18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Talking like that will definitely get you fired as a GM. No, it is NEVER a good idea to reach if you do not have to...and certainly never on more than one guy! It is a big deal and if you look at what is out there from an offensive stand point MOST of those guys can be replaced...not a one of them is a "wow" kind of guy. Good, yes...wow...no. We may have overachieved last year but 8-8 is still 8-8 and Geno will have another year under his belt...and we have a ton of draft picks. I do NOT want to be 2 years from now listening to a bunch of "message board coaches" bitching about how Idzik overpaid for this or that guy and that he should be fired. I'd rather we do something the NY Jets have been NEVER know to do...use our freakin' heads!

19. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

This just in per Scheftter: Talib and Welker reportedly ran into each other at the Denver complex where Talib was going to make the deal official. Talib immediately grabbed at his knee and Denver security removed him from the building.

mezzavo likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe he's in town to see the Giants.