2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Wisconsin should've had a huge edge on the boards against Oregon. They somehow got outrebounded and won anyway.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Neither team from the state of Iowa came to play today.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

UVa killed me, I don't know why I believed in them. they look so damn good never missing a shot every time they play Carolina. they are a modern day Wake Forest and kept the ACC from making history.

Kansas flopped as usual, they were so overrated it was ridiculous. bogus computer #s in an overrated conference. typical KU in March too.

5. nyjunc

as for the Heels, obviously I am very happy. I wish they were in the East this weekend but happy to still be alive. They can play w/ anyone, I think Wisconsin will win but I think Carolina has a chance. The last time the Heels lost in the sweet 16 was 1992 so let's hope that streak continues.

also, need Meeks to be able to play. it's a knee sprain as of now.

6. nyjunc

UNC extended their lead in all time Sweet 16 apps and Roy Williams tied Dean Smith for 2nd place in most Tourney wins. K has coached 13 more seasons than Roy and Dean coached half his career when only team per conf made Tourney or the top of this list would look a little different.

7. HackettSuxTNG

I apologize for taking conversation time away from teams that are still... oh... PLAYING basketball, but I'm still stunned by this loss. What on earth do you do about Jay Wright? Here you have a guy who is an absolute Gem of a representative of the university, runs as clean a program as anyone in the country (And these days that apparently means something), and genuinely has an interest in the well-being of his players. He dominates the regular season, and even gets over the hump of conference tournament play...

Only to lay another massive, embarrassment of an egg in the NCAA Tournament. And again, I am taking nothing away from NC State: The better team won that game. But a one seed should be able to beat an 8 seed. I made no such excuses for Wichita State last year (unlike the media), and I am not about to do the same here.

Jay Wright has a serious problem. He is on the verge of becoming the modern day Lute Olson, or Bobby Huggins when he was at Cincinnati. He simply has no success in the NCAA tournament for a coach who commands as much attention he acquires through the regular season (Naismith Finalist?!?!)

For years, junc called Jim Boeheim one of the most overrated coaches in NCAA history. I certainly would not equate Wright to him on a moral or ethical level, but when gauging basketball success, you could actually say that Wright is flat out inferior. How could you compare the two?

I'm torn. I really don't want Jay Wright fired, again, especially considering the amount of corruption in college sports. But what he is doing flat out does not work.

Any one sitting on the outside wanna take a stab at this?

8. HackettSuxTNG

I wish they were too. A game against MSU would be VERY interesting. Let's find out who is better, Roy or Izzo, WITHOUT top-notch talent.

9. nyjunc

Roy owns Izzo. Last year Izzo had much more talent and Roy and UNC beat them at MSU. In the 2010 NIT season when MSU made the FF again Roy and UNC beat Izzo and MSU.

Izzo is a GREAT coach but his teams do not fare well against Roy's teams.

10. nyjunc

You post all year, you can talk about 'Nova all you want. Losing early in the Tourney sucks.

Wright is a very good coach but he does have March issues. State played great and when you are a 3 pt shooting team and they aren't falling you can be picked off.

11. HackettSuxTNG

I agree with everything you say, BUT.... Izzo is not Izzo in the NCAA Tournament. He has over achieved more than any coach I know of. He is a different kind of coach in that Tournament.

12. HackettSuxTNG

Thanks

But isn't that what it is all about? For years, your measuring stick has been National Titles and Final fours. Given the talent, and regular season success, wright should have many more of both than he has.

LOL. You sound like you are making excuses for Villanova and I know you aren't. The better team flat out won. There is no excuse for a 1-Seed to lose to an 8-Seed. Zero.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Well if Nova decides to fire Wright wait until next year when UNLV fires Dave Rice as some of boosters decided they wanted Rice over Ben Howland this year (fucking ingrates destroying this once proud program) so we can hire him. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

14. HackettSuxTNG

Why would you? Is a lack of post-season success really not an issue when determining your coach?

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think he can get better players at UNLV than he can at Nova (no offense) I also don't know if I'd say he's had a lack of postseason success... he does have a FF appearance.

16. nyjunc

when people try to tell me a coach is great you have to have March success to back that up. there are people that talked about Boeheim in a Williams/K/Izzo category and he is nowhere near those types of coaches. No one has called Wright an all time great.

they should have won but the Tourney is crazy.

17. HackettSuxTNG

So you think that is this issue? A lack of talent being recruited?

18. nyjunc

he is still a fairly young coach. he puts teams in position w/o the top notch talent other programs may get. his issue may be more recruiting than coaching.

19. nyjunc

and some S16's along w/ elite 8s. but it has been since 2009 when he last made a Sweet 16.

20. HackettSuxTNG

So, that brings me back to the original question. By your standards, isn't Jay Wright overrated?