2013 Week 3- Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Sep 13, 2013.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Should be an ugly, low scoring, defense dominated game. Hope the Jets can generate enough on O to get the win.

2. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

It's hard to get a read on this game as there are so many variables on both ends ... EJ for sure has much more to work with on offense but Rex will forever be one of the top defensive minds in today's NFL. Pettine will be sure to bring the fire right back too.

It will probably be the biggest defensive challenge to date for both QBs ... I will look for a score of 17-13 or something along those lines, though I am not confident yet in saying who picks up the win

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Hopefully Geno can play with a lead this time.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Agree with the bold. Should be interesting.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think the Bucs have a better D. The Bills are better coached, but I think the Bucs can compete with anyone talent-wise on defense.

Both should be top 10 though.

6. EJ3

EJ3 New Member

Surprised nobody has called you out yet on your made up QB ratings. I immediately knew they were way off when every single statistic for RGIII in his first game was as good or better than EJ's first game stats yet somehow he had a 94 QB rating? 10 points lower then EJ?

RGIIIs first game QB rating was about 140 and his second game was in the 80's not 70.0

7. foreboding

foreboding Member

Watch out for Kiko Alonzo. Not being mentioned much here.

This kid looks really, really good so far. Very young, but he makes plays all over the field and he is a good cover LB as well.

He is a play-making LB, very exciting player.

8. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

spot on.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14875/year/2012/robert-griffin-iii

Robert Griffin III
    Game 1: 139.9 passer rating (93.5 QBR, ESPNs rating)
    Game 2: 86.3 passer rating (70.0 QBR)​

EJ Manuel
    Game 1: 105.5 passer rating (70.8 QBR)
    Game 2: 89.3 passer rating (51.6 QBR)​

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

So whoever originally posted the ratings compared passer rating (NFL) to QBR (ESPN) and they grade on different scales. I see that as a common error, it's very easy to make.

10. EJ3

EJ3 New Member

I guess I could see that. I just thought it was odd that cval didn't catch himself typing 19-26 320 yds... 94 rating and then 18-27 150 yds 105 rating. Oh wait something doesn't add up.

11. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Why are we talking about RGIII vs EJ Manuel? I don't give a shit about either of those guys, only Geno Smith or anybody else that plays for the Jets.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a Mark Sanchez thread. I see progress. People are actually talking about our starting quarterback

13. timekills

timekills Member

Neither does

Robert Griffin III
    Game 2: 86.3 passer rating = 70.0 QBR

EJ Manuel
    Game 2: 89.3 passer rating = 51.6 QBR

Everyone tries to reinvent quarterback ratings. Much like evaluating other positions in football it's FOOTBALL not baseball. It's not a sport of 11 athletes its a sport of one team. QBR, no matter whose calculations, is so dependent on so many other factors as to make it almost worthless.

Who would rather have EJ3 or Geno over (last year's) RGIII? QBR be damned.

This game will be interesting for Geno to see if he tries to use his feet more. The Bills are notoriously bad at QB contain and got lucky that Newton didn't try to run on them. They constantly overpursue on the edge. Geno could take advantage of that.

#233 timekills, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Thanks! :)

Here are the links for Week 2:
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/13/refo-nyj-ne-week-2/
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/16/refo-car-buf-week-2/

EJ had -3.2 and Geno was -1.9 for Week 2. EJ was about +1.4 for Week 1 and Geno was -0.8. The overall tone seemed more favorable to Geno in Week 2, but in Week 2 Geno had a better rating. Neither one is a world beater right now, but both are showing potential.

Hopefully with a long week to prepare, the Jets will be ready to rock on Sunday and Geno can have a great game. Just have to have enough Bowsers on the offensive line to stop Super Mario.

15. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Shhhh...... Don't make people remember.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I was called out and it was corrected. The point remains the same it has not been night and day between the three rooks last year and Ejs performance thus far.

RW got better as the season went along RGIII relies on his legs and Luck threw a lot of picks but had several comebacks. None of them are elite Qbs as of yet.

Personally I think RW will be the best of the lot I just like the kid. Luck looks like the real deal but is on a not so good team and RGIII has to come back from an injury and prove he can be an effective QB playing from the pocket.

EJ and Geno have not proven anything

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mario Williams has 4 sacks in just 2 games, he looks like old Mario so if we don't contain him he could ruin the game for Geno

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The Mario of old was never that good of a pass rusher. he was always good but not great, he's better than anyone we have and a serious threat to the QB but he's not JJ Watt.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Most Bills fans are more excited about Alonso than they are Manuel. He's all over the place. Last game he had 10 tackles, a sack, an interception, a few passes defensed, it was unreal. He also makes all the calls on defense as a rookie. He's dramatically upgraded our LB corps.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Alonzo is a good player. I think he will turn out to be your best draft pick this year.. (even though I also like Woods) He's a new-style ILB that's better at coverage and blitzing than run stuffing. Honestly, and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Jets fan, but he reminds me of Demario Davis, our ILB... although Alonzo's ceiling may be higher as a playmaker.. makes sense that they are similar with Pettine running the show for you guys.