2013 UFA QB's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 3, 2013.

1. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

Campbell or Moore. I don't like anybody else on that list. I don't really like Campbell or Moore either. I'd rather ride the Sanchez train for one year and get a solid draft pick next year.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Norv Turner and a running game could say his career. The WRs are here, if somehow the kid can get his confidence back who knows, I don't see this happening, but it is a scenario. The kid is still very much young in this league, he's hit rock bottom this season.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets brought Joe Walton in as OC in 1981 and 1982. That saved Todd's career but it didn't change the fact that he was burnt by that point as the 5 int's in the AFC championship game in '82 showed.

I think the Norv-Sanchez axis might well do exactly what the Walton-Todd one did, which was to recover the QB enough for the team to do well but ultimately falter when the fact that he was burnt resurfaced.

4. 101GangGreen101

History doesn't have to follow the same exact path though, and didn't the Jets offensive philosophy change once Walton became HC? I wasn't even born yet lol, but you have to know your team's history. That could of led to a regression for Todd also. I understand that Todd threw 5 INTs, but players bounce back.

I do want to see a competition between Sanchez, Matt Moore / Jason Campbell, McElroy though see who comes out

5. Br4d

History often walks a closely parallel path though. There's no doubt that better coaching and personnel would make Mark Sanchez a better QB, The problem though is that we'd never as a group be a lot more comfortable with him than we are right now.

I lived through this once with Todd. I know what it is like to have a QB playing at a fairly high level while simultaneously worrying that he is the primary point of failure likely to occur in the future.

That's not where an NFL franchise should be. How have the Bears done since Jay Cutler took over?

6. Realistic Jets Fan

Beyond salvation IMO. But I agree. Sign Matt Moore...Campbell not needed. Draft a mid round development QB in April..Let Moore and McElroy compete for the starting job with the draft kid #3 and the turnover machine the inactivated scout team #4 occupying the #53 spot on the roster in his final season with the Jets

7. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

How bout Tavaris Jackson? He never got a real chance in Minnesota becuase of the farve fiasco and still has some upside. I say trade for flynn and sign Jackson.

8. Petey

Petey Active Member

If the Jets are going to acquire Matt Flynn, they also better acquire Green Bay's offensive weapons and their playcaller.

9. Realistic Jets Fan

Not for either choice. Not for Tannenblows style pissing away precious draft picks for Flynn's expensive contract. ...seen it enough already for the turnover.machine, Greene, the useless Teblow and others and never been much of a Jackson fan

You could be right and me wrong of course. I used to think Turnover Machine was an NFL QB once

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Like I said earlier, Jackson, Moore and Campbell are the best options.

Jackson probably has the most upside. I certainly wouldn't love it if he were the starter next season.

11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Matt Moore or Tarvaris Jackson would beat out Sanchez by the third Preseason game. The others? Probably not. I'd like to see either signed and given the job. They're both upgrades over Sanchez.

12. 101GangGreen101

I don't think we've seen the best out of Mark Sanchez at all - he's played at a high level only in such short spurts -We will have to see what OC comes in first and foremost. Careers can turn around, like Rich Gannon - players can flourish under the right system. Look at the 49ers right now for example. Alex freaking Smith is worse than Mark Sanchez and these guys were having career years.

13. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

Alex Smith is our starting QB for 2013 after we eat $6.5mm of Sanchez's contract...

14. Br4d

Ok, so let's say a new OC who really knows what he is doing comes in next season. Let's say that the Jets find a couple more weapons on offense. So Sanchez raises his completion percentage to 58.9% and he throws 28 TD passes and he only throws 15 picks. The Jets win 10 games and make the playoffs and somehow we wind up in Houston for the AFC championship game.

And every fan who seriously follows the Jets has this gnawing worry that it's going to break down when Sanchez is put under pressure as the Texans are sure to do.

Richard Todd.

15. 101GangGreen101

Sanchez didn't play all that bad against the Texans this season. J.J. Watt is the DPOTY. If you said Ravens with Ngata, Reed, and Lewis then by all means I would take a step back in this. Or even Von Miller of the Broncos. Those guys put fear into the heart of Mark Sanchez, one big hit from them and it's all over for his psyche. You do have a point in that regards, he would be instantly cooked. Opponents shouldn't matter

Do you really have confidence that Jason Campbell or Matt Moore could beat Mark in a competition? Sanchez understands the game, but when it comes to Sundays he just completely goes numb - during practice he seems to give the staff a reason to start him. Moore is a tough guy I like him, Jason Campbell I'm not so sure he would make any plays to really make you feel comfortable as a starter.

16. Br4d

Yeah, he's cooked as soon as he takes real contact. That's an issue.

No, I have no confidence that any guy the Jets are likely to be able to bring in can beat out Mark Sanchez in an open competition. I'm very worried that the Jets will draft a rookie and put him out there because they don't want Sanchez on the field. I don't want him on the field either so I would understand their decision but I think it would be terrible for the rookie and the Jets.

They really need to find a way to make Mark Sanchez a non-issue for the Jets next season. This likely involves signing a vet to go behind center for the season, possibly drafting a rookie to develop and getting Sanchez off the roster somehow.

17. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Out of all those players on Defense you Mentioned I think Brandon Moore's backside scares Sanchez the most...

18. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

It's hard to fault Cutler when his line is made of Swiss Cheese. How they hell they spend THAT much on bringing in their franchise QB and then dont put a half decent line in front of him is simply mind-boggling.

19. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Yeah, we keep forgetting about the O-Line. If we don't fix that first, it won't matter who we have as QB.

20. Br4d

The entire offense needs to be reconstructed, starting with a re-envisioning of its purpose and function.

That's the most depressing thing about the failure last season. It highlighted exactly how far away the Jets are from having a championship caliber offense. Nothing works right and most of the players are either exiting, aging or just not good enough.