2013 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by soxxx, Jun 22, 2013.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Nets starting lineup:

1-Deron
    2-Joe Johnson
    3-Paul Pierce
    4-Garnett
    5-Lopez

Pierce and Johnson might have trouble playing together, Terry off the bench to.

2. Drew

Drew Active Member

I'm absolutely hyped... let's bring a title to Brooklyn!

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

The Nets lineup is quite sick now, and holy shit I can't believe the ..Pelicans (ugh I hate saying that) got Jrue! Damn I think that team is going to shock a lot of people this year. Anderson, Davis, Gordon, Vasquez, and now Holiday? The whole year last year I kept thinking they were going to turn it around, but now I think for sure they will..I mean how can they not?

On another note, not sure what the Bucks were doing with that pick, but what do I know as a casual basketball fan I guess? I understand OKC going for the future as well, but I was hoping for more polished players...well at least at #12.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Lets see if Jason Kidd can coach this team and manage KG and pierces minutes who were limited all of last year.

The nets have a one year window, 2 if managed correctly and they can't have any injuries obviously. If they miss though, they are stuck with no cap room. They are paying ridiculous amounts of luxury tax.

The nets have made all their moves for headlines right now. Lets see if it works now. I have my hesitance. I had the nets being very good this past year and was way off.

Knicks wise hardaway JR probably spells the end for JR Smith. Copeland and prigioni would be nice to resign. This was a crazy nba draft

Oh and pierce and KG to Brooklyn probably jump starts that Knicks/nets rivalry because of Knicks fans and kg and pierce.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Thank God they got rid of Wallace, still hate that they gave up a 1st for him. I liked Humphries, he was a good minutes guy but this trade is ridiculous. I always hated Pierce but I guess I've gotta pull for him now. I'd still like to see J Kidd as a player coach...lol.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Haha, imagine the Nets pulling this all-in move and then Jason Kidd just destroys the short term potential because of inexperience at the coaching position.

For once, I am very interested to see the Spurs play the Nets.

Very strange day for the NBA.

7. displacedfan

Jason Kidd is a smart player. Can he coach a team and crate a system for them while not wearing out pierce or KG? I'm waiting to see. I could see the nets being good just because their talented than most of the weaker east teams, but I don't see them gelling enough to best the current heat, pacers, or bulls.

I still have no idea what to expect from the Knicks. They overshot my expectations last year and I see them not being as good as this past year

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its funny, Pierce and Garnett prolly will jump the popularity chart in Brooklyn. I think those 2 will draw more interest and crowds over Deron and Joe Johnson.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am one of the few who is a die hard Knicks fan, but also loves the Nets. I guess growing up with a family of half Knicks and half Nets fans did it for me LOL

I'm loving this move for Brooklyn. Win now, which seems to be the way everyone is gearing towards.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wow this trade will show who the real Knicks fans are this summer and midway through the season

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The Nets were in win now mode with a huge payroll before this trade. Only difference was they had no shot at winning which now they do have.
    It's a small window for sure but it was a small window before and we got to unload Wallace in the process.

KG is exactly what this team needed and they should have enough front court depth to limit his reg season minutes. The fact that they could get him while unloading Wallace who had no fit with team and replace him with one of best shooters in game is mind boggling.

The only asset they gave up that could end up hurting them in future is the 18 1st rounder, doubt it though. They still also have a few Euros with potential and you know they will be able to bring in some useful vets with MML and vet mins.

I don't know if they will win but they are certainly contenders for next two years at least, that alone makes it a huge win for Nets.

12. displacedfan

If the nets miss the title though, they have no 1st rounders, huge luxury tax, and no future. This is a move for now, not the future. If they don't win now, they are stuck

13. displacedfan

It would have been funny if KG or especially pierce landed on the Knicks. I think Knicks fans would still boo pierce the first couple games

14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the luxury tax means nothing to the nets

and the nets still have first rounders every other year ... the '14 fourth rounder will be in the 20s and they can easily buy another one of those

the '16 probably wont be in the lottery but the right to swap in '17 and the '18 will likely be lottery picks but they should have tons of cap room by then

15. displacedfan

They're stupid if the luxury tax means nothing. It doubles and triples if you're over multiple years and it limits sign and trades, mle, and I think bird rights. Being over the cap and in the tax severely limits moves you can make. You also get money to buy a pick and its usually only a second rounder you can buy if you aren't over the cap and haven't used the money. That's why the tax is a big deal especially if repeated.

That's why this is a short window buy with a rookie head coach. It will be interesting to see how it works. I got tricked by the lakers and nets last year thinking they would both be better than they were because of their paper lineups. That's why I'm not rushing to say the nets are the best in the east. They'll easily find their way in the playoffs and probably the top half though because the east is weak.

16. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Who cares about the future? honestly, if you have chance to build a Championship team in the NBA, you do it. What did you expect? the Nets to sit around and draft players and never make it to the finals?

The Nets have a window, something most NBA teams dont have, including the Knicks. The Knicks never had a window because they were never getting through the Heat I love the Nets plan more, go all in, and if it fails then they will be at the bottom of the league picking #1.

The Nets proved they arent here to sell tickets and just be a playoff team, I mean they coulda sat and been an average playoff team like the Hawks have been, It sells tickets but its hopeless for winning a championship. They want it all, and it could payoff.

17. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This move also likely kills any chance of D12 and CP3 going to Atlanta. The East now has an array of teams that could win the east, Im sure both guys will stay in the West.

Lastly my only beef is when was the last time a rookie headcoach took over a stacked team like the Nets in NBA History? Wheres Phil lol?

#97 soxxx, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is what Prokhorov said last October.

Q: Is marriage something you would consider some day?
    A: I have said that if the Nets don't win the NBA championship within five years, I will punish myself by getting married. We are in year three. So no one is more interested in winning a championship than yours truly.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Prokorov has said title since the day he arrived, he said within 5 years.

20. displacedfan

But if you're going all in for a two year window and taking yourself out of the 2014 FA market, why the rookie head coach? Why not Karl or other experienced coaches? The two strategies don't match.

I just need to watch this team first before crowning them the champs to dethrone the heat. Yeah they look good on paper but the teams that give the heat the most problems are great defensive teams. Is Kidd or frank known as a defensive coach?

Since the east is so weak the nets were fine getting to the playoffs with or without this move. I just think they could have done better moves without creating such a short window.