2013 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by soxxx, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I like this signing a lot for the reasons soxx mentions. I wish somehow Knicks could get rid of Amare

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Idk why Smith didn't wait longer to possibly get a better deal.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I wonder the same about Al Jefferson and Charlotte, certainly when the Mavs don't get Dwight you'd have to think they would have gone after him. I've always been a big Paul Millsap fan. He's a very underrated guy and could help a team that is close get closer. I think maybe the Jazz offer him a big contract because losing both he and Jefferson would be a huge setback for a team that was close to the playoffs.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jefferson is a solid player and you'd think Charlotte would have to pay him extra to go play there, but then again I haven't even heard the terms yet besides it's a 3 year deal.

I don't think the Mavs are close to being a contender. They needed probably more than 1 solid signing going into the off-season, and now they're losing OJ Mayo to my rompin stompin take no prisoners Bucs.

5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

The Jazz have reportedly leaned Millsap for at least a few months now, it would be a shocker to see Utah lose both of them.

6. Barry the Baptist

I think Millsap is from the Dallas area so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mavs make a push for him. BTW can somebody explain to me what the F the Pelicans are thinking? Giving that much money to Tyreke Evans?

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

That's very possible (assuming they don't get Dwight). Utah is probably better off retaining neither anyways.

As for Tyreke, I understand why they expressed interest in him specifically, but I have no idea why they were so willing to get rid of Robin Lopez to get him.

8. Barry the Baptist

They also gave up Vasquez who while not a star by any means is a decent PG who plays hard. He's a good role guy.

BTW apparently from what I've heard from people who I have no idea how they would know is that Kobe's little "pep talk" to Dwight didn't go over very well. I guess Kobe's message to Dwight was to grow up and listen to me and I can make you a winner. I guess this was a point of contention all season between them as Dwight doesn't feel he should listen to Kobe even though IMO Kobe probably knows what he is talking about.

I've felt all along Houston would be where he goes but I still have this feeling the Lakers will be in it until he actually signs with the Rockets. The question than becomes do the Rockets have the ability to attract another player? I still think Josh Smith will wait and see because I think he could also go to Houston. That would be a pretty good lineup and an awesome front court.

PG - Lin
    SG- Harden
    SF - Parsons
    PF - Smith
    C - Howard

That being said they have absolutely no bench and will struggle if any of those guys get hurt.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Someone reported on twitter that Kobe said he would teach Dwight how to win, and that rubbed Dwight the wrong way. Granted it was sources who spoke to sources close to Dwight so who knows if that's even true, but wouldn't surprise if it was.

The Warriors have been trying to clear cap space earlier today (haven't checked into it to see if it happened or wasn't successful) in what attempts to be a chance to receive Dwight in a sign and trade.

10. displacedfan

Pablo Prigioni resigned with the Knicks for 3 years, option on the 3rd. Key signing for NY, and it leaves some MLE room left for them to try and get Copeland back.

I read Prigs was the 5th older player on the Knicks roster last year, now he's the oldest.

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Ya know the Knicks got a good bargain with the JR contract, but a 4 year deal for a streaky player that tanks in the playoffs? I really hope they signed him strictly because of the money and they intend to shop him around. That would be the smartest move, IMO since he does have some value and his contract is a bargain.

Also, none of this is official yet. I believe they have to wait until mid July before any of these deals becomes official, so I wouldn't be surprised if JR turned his back on the Knicks and went elsewhere.

Resigning Prigs was a crucial move, now I just hope they have enough for Copes. Why is ESPN radio acting like the Knicks are exactly the same? They are pretending the Bargs deal didn't happen. It's funny the guy filling in for Kay keeps repeating that the Knicks are exactly the same, despite getting a lot younger and adding another offensive option. It's head scratching.

Resign Copes, sign Brand then trade JR Smith + Felton and some 1st rounders for Rondo (throw in Tyson if needed). Yeah a man can dream, can't he? I wish.

#211 Barcs, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That's a good starting lineup. If the Rockets can pull that off they will be scary, but drama queen Howard will probably find some way to fuck it up.

13. displacedfan

July 10th I think.

the Knicks are similar as of right now because they are returning their starting lineup of

Felton, Prigs, Shump, Melo, Chandler. When is the last time you could say the Knicks were returning a starting lineup? Then they are also returning JR Smith. 6 players. It's a lot for the Knicks based on recent history.

I believe I read JR's deal has a play opt out after 3 years if he wants to chase money. I'm not certain and we can't be certain until he signs.

Haha I doubt the Celtics trade us Rondo, and more 1st rounders? We wouldn't have back to back first rounders until like 2020-2021 :breakdance: I would love Rondo on this team though.

Saw this tweet:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m
    Golden State has reached agreement with Utah on a trade to unload salary, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 6m
    Also, @daldridgetnt reports Andris Biedrins will join Jefferson with the Jazz.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m
    Andre Igoudala has reached agreement with Golden State on a four year, $48 million deal with the Warriors, league source tells Y! Sports.

Warriors still have pieces to trade for Dwight if LAL wants to S&T. If they can land Iggy and Dwight without giving up both Klay and Barnes, impressive to say the least.

And now supposedly Dwight has chosen where he is going and will say so on twitter, maybe sometime this weekend. I think this is being played worse than Lebron's decision. Lebron gave us a date and time, Dwight is just leading us on making his Twitter count go higher.

14. displacedfan

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 23s
    So far, no teams pursuing Dwight Howard have been informed that he's made a decision.

I hope Woj breaks where Dwight is going before Dwight can say so on Twitter. Would be hilarious for Dwight to build it up, and then it leaks beforehand ruining his tweet

EDIT: David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 6m
    FWIW, Iguodala says he does not know what Howard is going to do: "If he comes to Golden State as well, it's going to be even scarier."

#214 displacedfan, Jul 5, 2013
  15. displacedfan

So a Curry, Klay, Iggy, Lee, Bogut roster with Barnes off the bench is pretty good. I like that. They have a smart defensive player in Iggy who just played in an up tempo offense in Denver and knew when to take his shots and drive and stuff.

I like GS without Dwight. If they manage to get him, whoa. I just don't know enough about their bench and who they kept and let go

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Howard is such a clown. He didn't even give LA a full season and he already wants out. WTF is wrong with that guy? Injuries and other problems killed the Lakers. How could he not even give 2 seasons? Dude's a joke and is going to go from team to team to team his entire career. You don't just bail after 1 year. Imagine if Lebron bailed on Miami after that first season where they lost in the finals? Give the team some time to gel, don't hold em hostage after 1 season. Howard's a joke. The only way he'll ever stay with any team is if they win the title that year.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Barnes shouldn't be coming off the bench... Not sure why they would do this. They need a PF and C.

18. displacedfan

Anyway, here's a list of recent Woj tweets. As most people on basketball twitter I follow call them, #Wojbomb

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 10m
    Before Golden State deals, Dwight Howard had narrowed his choices to the Lakers and Rockets, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 9m
    Golden State hasn't been informed that Howard has eliminated them, nor given up hope of landing him. Unclear how their deals impact his plan

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8m
    As ESPN reported, Dallas owner Mark Cuban was informed that the Mavericks are out of the running for Howard.

19. displacedfan

DWIGHT HOWARD ROCKETS EDIT EDIT EDIT -> See post 221

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 3m
    Dwight Howard has chosen to sign with the Houston Rockets, @USATODAYSports has learned. Story to come. - http://ow.ly/mH7dN

Let's see if Dwight flip flops, or sticks with this. I think Houston can sign Dwight outright, so no sign and trade.

#219 displacedfan, Jul 5, 2013
  20. displacedfan

Congrats to the many people here who called it.

Heh, this is being passed along twitter:

[​IMG]