2012 Week 7 - New York Jets at New England Patriots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RutgersJET, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

How can you make that statement, When Hill,Kerley,Keller, and Hill have been on the field...together....once since the new offense was implemented.

Without Mark forcing balls to Holmes, and a stable WR corps, I think you'll see some improvement in his game.

I'm more worrried about our Defense then our offense in this game.

2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think it's mostly just the lack of respect that bothers me. I know the Jets never get any respect (from anyone) but they were talking about the Jets like they are a high school football team. Are we a great team? No. Do I think we'll win the division? No. Do I think we have a shot at the playoffs? Yes. Showing some degree of respect for your opponent's abilities, especially considering the team they are backing is struggling as well, isn't too much to ask.

Maybe I'm wrong and the Pats will completely blow out the Jets, it's not impossible, but like you said it can be a close game on the field but not necessarily on the score sheet. The way they were talking about it in their descriptions was that it was going to cake walk and just plain funny to watch these flawless invincible Pats taking on a weak and pathetic Jets.

I don't see it that way. And I would really, really love to see them back-peddle if the Jets did pull out a win. Although I just generall love it when people who are paid "experts" have mediocre or just plain bad results from their predictions.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Setting aside the fact that you are talking about ESPN Boston.. (what do u expect?)

The whole "Jets get NO respect thing" is pretty much a joke and way, way, way over-used on here. Frankly it pisses me off a little when Jets fans say this.

Overall, the New York Jets get a tremendous amount of media coverage, positive or negative, that's a sign of respect. Try rooting for a team that plays in Jacksonville, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cleveland, Seattle, etc. etc. and tell me the Jets get no respect.

Atlanta is 6-0 right now, but you would hardly know it. Turn on your favorite National sports media outlet and compare how many times they mention Atlanta vs. the Jets backup QB alone...

Sure, at this moment in time that coverage hasn't been overtly positive, but its not like they certainly deserve it either. If the Jets won anything of merit, that coverage would be very positive. The Jets organization has both a recent and long past history of failures, close calls, disappointments.. how the hell do you expect positive publicity all the time? In the instance you are referring to, they are playing against the defending AFC Champs, who have won the conference 5 times in the last decade and the division virtually every single year in this decade- on the road. Of course people are going to pick the Pats in a blowout, considering both this history and the Jets underwealming play in the present!

In 2010 when the Jets knocked off the Patriots and were 1 game from returning to the SB, they were the talk of the league. Incredibly positive... They weren't being disrespected what-so-ever. They were everywhere! In true Jets fashion though they lost the following week. That goes to show that there's no "agenda" to tear down the Jets or anything, in fact to the opposite, I think the media goes out of its way to cover the Jets more than most, in not any other franchise. The Jets and Woody cater to this, even though they really don't have too. Win something if you want positive coverage!!!

4. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

As far as the media is concerned, Belichick and the Patriots are playing with house money. But that's true of many teams across all sports. Remember, the key to success in media is being right about your prognostications. While an "expert" may have more to gain by predicting an upset win, the safer play is to go with the favorite.

I think the game will be fairly close, but NE cannot afford another loss right now, and usually when the team is playing under those circumstances, they don't lose.

Respect is overrated anyway, again as far as the media is concerned. I'm sure that the players and coaches in New England have a very healthy respect for the Jets. That tends to happen when another team beats you on a big stage like that playoff game.

:beer:

5. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

The Pats are 4th in the league against the run, so I don't see the Jets doing it unless they really come out smashmouthing from start to finish. The Pats can be thrown on, so I think Belichick forces Sanchez to beat him through the air with his limited (or percieved limited) passing game. Of course beating the Pats at their own game will very difficult to near impossible up at Gillette.

I think it all comes down to the Giants game plan here... GET TO BRADY! Put him on his back, harrass him, make him come up limping, that is the only way to beat them up at Gillette.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I think thats the complete opposite of reality. They are a team that is favored to win the AFC in the preseason. Now they are 3-3 and looking at mediocrity for the first time in the last decade. You don't play with house money when the expectations are high. Thats not how it works.

The Jets if anything are playing with house money this week at least. Going into New England expected to lose. Lower expectations and riddled with injures. Not that its a trap game for the Pats or anything just that no one is going to be going nuts if the Jets lose because most expect it. If the Jets win there will be a lot of pressure and scrutiny on the Pats.

7. NewYorkEveryThing

I hope the jets win.. But the pats are gonna take us...There home and coming off a lose bye a small margin... The pats are gonna blow us out 34-13. Mark will get his garbage time touchdown and maybe 2 FG's by folk ...

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

You guys were saying it was all over for the Pats last year when they fell to 5-3, now they're flirting with mediocrityonly 6 games in? The 2nd half of the will tell the story.

If they were getting outplayed every week I'd maybe say that it might be true, but they have been the dominant team in every game except the Cardinals game. They gaveaway Sunday's game on a defensive blunder and lost to the Ravens on a PI.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Media coverage does not equal respect. It means we make more money covering a NY team instead of a small market team. What a surprise

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I also disagree on the house money comment. The Jets are playing with house money. They lose, they were supposed to everyone sucks. They win, what a surprise, nobody thought it would happen, how did it happen, how did the Pats not cover, etc etc.

Unless we have different meanings of house money?

11. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

It's never a bad time for the tale of Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat..

[youtube]0EU1O-hGxgg[/youtube]

12. NYJETS Fan

NYJETS Fan New Member

First Play of the Game

Ok, so Tebow starts at RB and is in the game for the first play from scrimmage. Hand off to Tebow but it is a flea flicker and Sanchez hits Hill, (either one), for a quick six! Ground and Pound from there. Jets hang on to win 24-21.

13. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Hill gets a TD, Keller gets a TD, Tebow gets a TD.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to tell the Jets this.:breakdance:

15. Clifton59

Clifton59 Banned

I think we need 14 pts scored between special teams and the D if we want to come out with the W

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We're gonna need 25+ pts to win. NE offense gets 3 TDs on their worst fuckin day.

17. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Jets win 27-23. Fuck you all

18. PhatRex

PhatRex Banned

Who cares if NE every game from here on in. They have owned us and the div. over the past 12 years. They have done more in those 12 years than we've ever done. If we lose these next two games this era is over. The pressure is on us here. Doesn't matter what happens in this game. Brady and BB will be there next year. Depending on how bad we lose this game could end this whole shit show.

On another note , people actually think we deserve respect? Really?

19. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

This game has the weirdest feel to it that I can remember any Jets Patriots game being.

Jets rank in the top 10 vs the pass, Pats rank in the bottom 5 defending the pass
    Pats rank in the top 10 vs the run, Jets are in the bottom 5 defending the run.
    Pats have a top 5 Passing attack, Jets have a bottom 5 passing attack.
    Pats have a top 5 rushing attack, Jets have a middle of the pack rushing attack.

Strange as this sounds, we actually want to force the Pats to throw, which means trying to exploit their secondary early and often. Ground and pound isn't going to carry the day. All Told I think the Pats are the favorite for the game, but this is the NFL and any team can beat any other team on any given day....My prediction, if we can force the Pats to abandon the run game and go to the air the jets can win the game, if it turns in to a ground and pound game on both sides I don't like the Jets chances.

20. Combustible Rextible

Thats an interesting take. On the ground and pound point, I'm not entirely convinced the Pats run D is as good as their ranking would indicate. Half of their opponents (Titans, Cardinals and Broncos) are in the bottom 5 in the league in yards per carry. The Jets have played some very good run defenses and been able to run on the weaker ones. I know Greene has some limitations but he could have a decent game here. I'm not saying don't try to see if the Jets can have the same success other teams have had throwing on the Pats but I'm not willing to concede the Jets cannot run on the Pats.