2012 Week 2 New York Jets vs Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets actually have an incredibly easy schedule all things considered.

We lucked out in drawing both the NFC West and AFC South... neither of those divisions are particularly intimidating.

Further, would you rather play Pittsburgh or Baltimore? I'm glad we've got Pittsburgh. Save Baltimore for the playoffs.

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Exactly. The the Pats 2x, Steelers, Houston, and SF are the most challenging games on the schedule. That's only 5 real tough opponents. 4 in the next 6 weeks looks daunting, but SF and HOU are at MetLife stadium which is a plus.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

From a Steelers fan

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That sounds like a former Jets fan turned Steelers front runner.

5. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Smart fan right there lol

6. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

The Steelers look ripe for the taking imo. It's a good test for the Jets to see if the 1st game was an abberation or not. (Same for a lot of teams that did well Week 1.) Especially if the Steelers can put some pressure on Sanchez.

7. Spike

Spike New Member

Steelers D should be better with Ryan Clark back and Harrison playing...and the starting O-line back together

Good news on the injury front

The Steelers lost two offensive linemen during Sunday night’s game against the Denver Broncos, but it appears both of them should be ready to go this Sunday against the New York Jets at Heinz Field.

Coach Mike Tomlin said guard Ramon Foster and tackle Marcus Gilbert, who hyper-extended his knee, should play on Sunday. Gilbert might be limited in practice early in the week, but Tomlin said that won’t impact his ability to play.

In addition, linebacker James Harrison worked out on Monday and will run on Wednesday and they will evaluate his status based on how he responds.

“We will see where he is,” said Tomlin. ‘We will follow the same protocol we did with him last week. We will work him up to activity and see how his knee responds to that activity and let that be our guide in terms of his participation.”

In addition, safety Troy Polamalu has a calf strain that could limit him in practice early in the week, but he is expected to play.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/11/...-injury-front/

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

The Jets from the AFCCG better be fuckin hungry for revenge.

talking points

-I dont care about sack numbers, I care about pressure. Except, I care more about sacks when Roethlisberger is throwing. Pressure doesnt mean much to Big Rape since he can make throws on the run, keep his eyes down field, or just truck people and run for 1st downs.

-The OL better show up in a big way. Loved how our passing game looked, if the OL can withstand the zone blitzing from the steelers and use their aggressiveness against them. big plays will happen in both the run and pass game. If they dont......well I think we know how that plays out. 3 and outs and potential turnovers.

-Landry needs to be less agressive when the balls in the air. Instead of trying to annihilate people he needs to put himself in position to fight for jump balls and get a turnover. Big Ben is elite but once he starts turning the ball over he hesitates more before forcing the throws he usually succeeds at fitting into tight spots.

-Keller needs to be a part of this gameplan in a big way. my guess is the steelers respect Hill and Holmes alot in their game plan and try to force errant throws outside the hashes. their aggressiveness in committing to run support can make Keller dangerous on play action in the middle of the field.

-I know I just said be wary of throws downfield and focus on the middle, but dont be afraid to take shots. the Steelers safety play is still good, but not close to what it used to be. I dont want to see them discouraged at going for the big play.

-Dont give up on Greene. Greene looked great in the AFCCG and they shyed away from feeding him the ball. he was delivering punishment and his YPC was increasing very well by the second half and they abaondoned ship. I know the teams are different but the players are mostly the same.

-LBers, be ready for Heath Miller. enough said. theyre dangerous enough at WR I'd like some of our S play to double their WR's putting more responsibility on the LBers. Maybe more Demario Davis on the field and less Bart Scott can put this plan into motion.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I hope he's right!

10. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

pittsburgh has been an unforgiving place for the jets, it's just one of those places where you have to play as mistake free as possible. here's to going in there with attitude,
    execution, ball control, and a lack of seeing Ben complete those 3rd and 13's that we see so often from that guy. C'mon Jets!!

11. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

Gonna be bold and ballsy. 31-17 Jets. Sanchez stats: 3 TDs, 1 to holmes, 2 to hill. 273 passing yards. Turnover on a forced fumble. Tebow will have a wildcat touchdown at the goaline.
    Maybin and Coples will each get to Roethlisberger. Revis gets a pick.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

WOW

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF
    Vikings and Redskins O-lines allowed just 2 total pressures each in Wk 1. Steelers OL allowed 22 to lead NFL.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Von Miller and Dumervil seemed like they were in the Steelers backfield all day. The Steelers did lose 2 OL during the game that they expect back for the Jets game though. I think one had a hyper extended knee and the other an eye injury.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Erik Frenz ‏@ErikFrenz
    The #Jets blitzed 14 times, according to @PFF, and gave up completions on 11 of those. 19 plays they didn't blitz, allowed 7 completions.
    Retweeted by Pro Football Focus

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF
    C.J. Spiller forced 8 missed tackles in just 16 touches against the Jets. No other player forced more than 6 in any number of touches

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

What's the status on Pouha for Sunday?

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

From an article I just read:

17. joejamfootball

This game would be a hugh victory for our Jets. I mean anybody looking at the schedule automatically gives the Jets a loss here. A win and the Jets are most likely looking at 3-0 in the face. Nobody expected that. A win here catapults this team towards a playoff berth. A win here means alot more than an expected loss. Go out there and get this win New York!

18. BleedgreenIII

BleedgreenIII Member

We always play Pittsburgh close...I think this weekend will be no different.

I didn’t think the Steelers looked all that bad against the Broncos, they were in that game for most of it...and they were missing three of their best players...also the whole Peyton 1st game thing....

We will see for sure what the season portends...Sanchez, Hill & Howard...if they pass this test then watch out....I have a feeling last weekend was no fluke (the way we played not the margin of victory) & sending Pittsburgh to a 2-0 hole in their own house will be proof enough...

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

For the first time in a long long time, I am not so worried about matching up against Pittsburgh's Defense.

They seem to be a shell of themselves, aging and slow. I wouldn't put to much stock in their secondary stuggles though vs. Denver, not having Clark back there really hurts that defense. (that's probably why Tebow/Manning both had big days). But I do think the Jets can run consistently/play action pass on them, which is what they are going to have to do.

I'm worried about stopping their Passing Offense though. Particularly their WRs. They have a lot of SPEED on offense. And the Jets Defense, which is normally awesome, does get beat against faster teams (Eagles last year, Oakland, Giants(Cruz), etc.) If Revis can't play, that's an even bigger challenge. I wouldn't blitz Big Ben as much as Rex loves too though, because he's tough for DBs to bring down anyway and he can elude and beat blitzes with big plays anyway. The front four should be able to get some pressure on him alone and I would stay conservative on the back end trying to limit big plays. I'm not scared of their offense sustaining long drives on the Jets, just worried about big plays which is their M.O.

I don't see the Jets winning, because any time you go into Pittsburgh its a struggle, but especially when its their home opener and they are trying to avoid 0-2. IF the Jets can limit the big plays and slow the game down with a good running game/time of possession on offense I do think they have a shot though.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

jets vs steelers

lets discuss the game. this game could leapfrog the jets toward the upper echelon of teams (pats, 49ers, ravens, texans, pack) or bring them down to earth from the exciting win last week.

very, very tough game in pitt. it will definitely be a better measure of the team compared with the bills.

enjoy