2012 NY JET'S 1st ROUND SELECTION

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Jul 13, 2011.

1. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

all i did was list the guys we drafted over the time Tanny has been GM. I wasnt insinuating any of those guys are a reason we shouldnt draft somebody early on next year. Just proving that Tanny hasnt ever taken a WR early in a draft.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I've said this numerous times.." you have to let the board come to the Jet's pick". Who knows what player is going to be available when the Jets select in Rd 1.

I understand the need for a pass rusher, but to say it's a must in Rd 1 is shortsighted. Chances are the Jets will be in a good position to get a good rush OLB in Rd 1, the depth at the position in 2012 is crazy, but there are no guarantees.

For example, 2010's draft the Jet's had many needs, especially DE and OLB. The Jet's didn't reach for DE or OLB, they took the best player on the board that filled a "Middle" need...Kyle Wilson.

When we drafted Mo Wilk he was clearly the best player on the board and filled a huge need. Kiper even said "Wilkerson was a Top 12 player" on his board and "the Jets got one of the best 1st Rd picks of the draft".

Let's not be myopic and understand how the draft works. You take the BPA with common sense. Even though the Jets could use a rush OLB in 2012's 1st Round, if another outstanding player, like a RT or WR, is available when the Jets are OTC ...it's a no brainer.

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Id like to see the Jets get a RT in the second and prime Duccasse for the guard position, a guy like Matt Reynolds out of BYU would be a great RT, solid run blocker, and could eventually replace Wayne Hunter.

But in the first I think there will be a run on WRs almost like how there was on QBs last year, teams like the Pats, Panthers, Browns, Jags, and Bears will all be taking the likes of Jeffery, Blackmon, Fuller, Flyod, and Broyles. If this happens we could get a steal at OLB with players that could drop like Brandon Jenkins ( who I think/hope could be there)

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Vlad will have to impove this year, or he might not be on 2012's roster. There is virtually no way one of the 5 starting lineman won't get banged up and Vlad may need to step in and prove himself, let's hope not at Sanchez' expense.

I'm hoping one of these new guys is going to surprise.

It's too early to tell what's going to happen in 2012's draft. I think we're in a good postion since there's a lot of talent at WR & OLB on the high end.

BTW, Broyles is one of my can't miss players, he's one of the most NFL ready WRs.

5. JohnnyThaJet

always wanted to ask you this question , just giving a scenario:

Jets are picking and somehow Broyles, Jenkins, and Fuller are left who do you take?

I could see arguments for all three and would like to hear what you think.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It's difficult to decide in September.

Depends if we re-sign Plax, if we do, Jenkins and never look back.

If we don't resign Plax, I'd take Broyles.

7. JohnnyThaJet

I would hafta agree on both standpoints the only big argument I can make for Fuller is if Sanchez does great with Plax but he signs elsewhere Fuller provides exactly what Burress sort of brings to the table , and also we kind of have a Broyles in Holmes, a big catch guy who can take it to the house as well as make some spectacular catches. Broyles is obviously can't miss but sometimes coaching staffs go with what the QB has produced the best with but you are right only time will tell who the overall better prospect would be come draft time.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm not one that believes you need a 6"4" WR to be successful, even in the red zone. Broyles is going to be a solid #2 WR in the NFL and could be an outstanding occasional returner. Also, I like Cumberland's potential as a red zone target and Logan Payne (6'2") appears to have a future with the Jets.

I like Broyle's production, who wouldn't? Broyles is on pace to be one of NCAA's all-time leading receivers.

Fuller is a good player that is very athletic for his size, but his productivity pales compared to Broyles.

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I would take Michael Floyd in that mid-late 20's area but I am starting to think he is going to play himself into a top 20 position despite his off the field concerns...

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

WOW! What a surprise.

11. BakerMaker

Just saying haha. :smile:

Harrison Smith if he keeps doing stupid face mask penalties will play himself out of being a Jet though!

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

What's up with that???

Smith is a very smart player, commiting stupid penalities isn't like him.

13. BakerMaker

Back to back personal fouls, very shocking. Can't put the blame on him though, the entire team was making stupid penalties and turnovers to a beatable squad.

Still I'd take him with a 4th or 5th round pick.

14. JohnnyThaJet

Id make this bet anyday that Manti Te'O will go higher than Floyd in this draft.

15. BakerMaker

I think Te'o has a shot at being a top 15 pick so I would not go against that bet at all JTJ.

Would need a 4-3 team to take him though IMO. Don't think he can transition so well to a 3-4 team. NY Giants are a match made in heaven.

16. JohnnyThaJet

I think he can play all three positions in a 4-3 at LB or ILB in a 3-4 but yeah no way he goes as an OLB in a 3-4 . He reminds me of Ray Maualuga a destined ILB who could be a stud right out of the gate.

Just wanted too see how much you REALLY loved Floyd hahahahaa. :smile:

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I strongly disagree with this.

I think Te'o has the ability to dominate a David Harris type role.

Vontaze Burfict is a much better prospect though.

18. BakerMaker

I can't argue on that Mr. E when it comes to which system Te'o could excel in. I am very curious as to how he'd do in a 3-4 pro system likewise in a 4-3 but I think he can do either one.

However he is a better player than Burfict. Burfict has the tools to do well but Te'O is a MUCH more level headed player and smarter player than Burfict. Biggest knock on Burfict is immaturity and lack of smarts on the field and I don't know if that can be teached by an NFL team. Dude is a magnet when it comes to personal fouls and yellow flags its ridiculous. Now he got into an altercation a month ago in the locker room where he punched a teammate....he's just so out of control and undisciplined on and now off the field that I think it will come back to bite him come April.

#78 BakerMaker, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Oh, the irony.

I don't like Vontaze Burfict! He play angry too much.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Vontaze Burfict is a beast. I don't care who he punched in the face or if he hits players late - he's a better prospect than Manti Te'o.

You have to play that position with an attitude. He's arguably the most intimidating player in all of college football.

The kid's led his team in tackles for two straight years, but he doesn't have football smarts? Whatever you say.

#80 Mr Electric, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011