2012 NY JET'S 1st ROUND SELECTION

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Jul 13, 2011.

1. SuperNova

SuperNova New Member

If we could walk away with Josh Wilson for less than it would cost us to resign Cro, which would allow us to match Holmes offer sheet AND get back Braylon, that would be outstanding. Wilson shined when he finally got a starting role.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sione Pouha will be 33 years old next off-season. He's not going to get big money - he'll stay in New York.

We do know what we have in Kenrick Ellis: a developmental nose tackle. I doubt Pouha will ever play for anyone else, but if it happens, the Jets will just sign a veteran nose to rotate with Ellis.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Getting to watch Lindsey in a 3-4 defense is going to be my favorite part of Pitt football next season(need something to distract from Sunseri fumbling through the first few games trying to pick up the spread). As Magilla said, he knows his way around the OLB position form prior experience. He should excel in this role.

4. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

As who the Jets would be more inclined to take I would say Courtney Upshaw, on personal preference I would say Brandon Jenkins. And in the hopefully and unlikely event Kyle Wilson under-performs Mo Claiborne

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

fyp... would much rather have that in the 1st round, especially if Housley can bulk up a bit.

If not Claiborne in the late second would be a nice piece.

6. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Ok sure, but I expect both to be off the board when the Jets are picking. So I go with Claiborne who is going to replace Peterson quite well

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

^ You're forgetting about CB prospects like Chase Minnifield, Stephon Gilmore, and Cliff Harris.

Claiborne isn't on the same level as these guys.

8. JohnnyThaJet

Alfonzo Dennard must be a dark horse than, he could have very similar production to what Prince had last season. I could see him going late first round.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No, that's not going to happen.

He could go late in the first round though, but as of right now, I doubt it.

10. JohnnyThaJet

Thats still one hell of a defense, not saying I would want him in the late first for the Jets but I believe he will be more productive than last season, resulting in a higher grade, which would be late first round.

He will have to prove a lot this year and imo if he can get off blocks better and get a bit more physical he will get drafted fairly easily.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Lindsey was very impressive last season. I was watching Pitt mainly to see Sheard and Lindsey was, IMO, the best defensive player. I love his roots from Aliquippa and he seems to be a very intelligent player and a perfect fit in a 3-4.

It's very plausible Lindsey will be a late rd 1 target.

12. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Thats true, Claiborne isnt the athlete some of the higher ranked corners are. But I still think Claiborne can start at the next level. Next years corner class is going to be loaded

13. NCJet312

NCJet312 New Member

I'm a lifelong UNC fan, and hold season football tickets, now. Coples is a beast. If he stays healthy, he will be a very high draft pick, but he's not a player that fits with Rex's system. He's a 4-3 DE. Last season, with all of our defections because of suspensions and injuries, he moved inside and played DT. He's A LOT bigger than Quinn is, too. However, Donte Paige-Moss fits the 3-4 OLB perfectly. He's got speed to burn and is relentless when rushing. He plays with his hand down in our 4-3, but he will play standing up in the NFL. Last season in the bowl game, his helmet got ripped off and hit his head on Coples' helmet. He was back in 2 or 3 plays later. He's a terror.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I agree with you that Coples is more of a 4-3 guy as of right now, I was just saying it was wishful thinking that he'd be around when the Jets finally get a chance to pick.

With his experience inside at tackle, it'd be really interesting to see how'd he fair at end in the 3-4. I think with his basketball background, he's got enough athleticism to play some 3-4 end and a little bit of 3-4 OLB. ...kinda like what Wade Phillips is doing with Mario Williams in Houston.

15. bibigon

bibigon Member

Do we have any idea that Wade Phillips knows what he's doing with this?

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Wade Phillips is a hell of a defensive coordinator.

His 3-4 defenses in San Diego and Dallas were damn good.

17. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

How quickly ppl forget...

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Something tells me that bibigon didn't forget. He never knew to begin with.

19. bibigon

bibigon Member

I'm quite familiar with Wade's history as a coordinator. I'm asking whether we have any reason to think he knows what he's doing moving Mario Williams to OLB. I know a number of analysts have questioned this move, and their rationale seems solid to me.

I don't know, but I don't think the move is a lock to be a success either.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think it's pretty funny that you're questioning a coach that's had tons of success coaching defenders in the NFL. Phillips has earned the right to experiment with his new defense's best player.

Mario Williams played receiver and safety in high school. He also returned kicks and punts.

He's a physical freak that's a proven top-level defender.

I think it's safe to say he's athletic enough to pass rush standing up.