2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that would rather lock up Holmes and Edwards both and let Wilson or Coleman fill the 2nd CB void? An Aso/Revis combo is sexy as hell, but I would think that continuity and development for your franchise QB in his third year is a lot more important than a ridiculous corner combo.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

uhhh...if Drew Coleman became our #2 CB, the season would be over before it began.

3. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Admittedly, I'm no cap expert. I hope they are able to keep Holmes and hopefully Braylon too. But it would be fun to see Aso in NY. Free agency is definitely going to be crazy.

If the Jets signed Aso,

[​IMG]

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No doubt he is a great player but I don't think we need Aso when there are other options that are very good players can be had for a lot le$$.

5. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

I like Braylon but we can find a very productive WR in the draft in the upcoming years. Holmes + Cotch + Keller is enough weapons.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Were talking about putting too much money into one position (CB), but essentially what about the WR position? Holmes and Braylon could both command big cash - I do think Braylon would take less to stay with the Jets and is absolutely a #1 WR in the league, with Keller, Cotch and potentially our 2 latest draftees - do we really need him back THAT much? I think having these 4 to 5 weapons (not including Holmes) would do just fine for Sanchez at the end of the day

If Aso is actually interested in coming we could make a decent run at this guy and have the greatest CB tandem ever to play the game - similar to the Raiders back in the day

If on day 1 Snyder throws out a huge 80 million or whatever contract to Holmes, and Holmes wants us to match that, then were better off putting that cash towards more depth players or make a run at Aso, as well as resigning Braylon (whose more important all around to the team anyway)

7. 101GangGreen101

Whose going to block and help out the running game for those long yards? Keller isn't that good of a blocker ... we don't have that big WR that Sanchez can go to, we all know the dude tends to throw really high at times

8. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Our defense has kept us contenders for the past 2 seasons - It is what makes this team a real threat. If there is an opportunity to strengthen the D even further, then I don't see a reason why that option shouldn't be explored. Nobody ever says, "Hey, that Jet offense is really something special."

We can win when our offense has a bad game but we cannot win when our defense does.

Right now, the only player who can make our offense better is the person wearing the #6, it all starts with him. As we have witnessed last season, there is potential to have one hell of a QB and leader.

The best way to help Mark? Make sure we have the best defense in the league.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

If Snyder throws the financial kitchen sink at Holmes...let him go. I want guys on this roster that are hungry for a championship. Aso certainly fits that criteria....like I stated in an earlier post, Aso had his huge payday, he wants to WIN a championship.

Holmes is a great wideout and makes clutch plays. But once he gets that FA contract, I bet his motivation starts to wane as the season progresses, especially if he's got Rex Grossman throwing to him.

10. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

Sign Plax. Don't know what he's asking for though. If we signed Holmes and Aso, not sure what we'd have left to spend.

11. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I have to post this photo - I leisurely cruised over to CNN.com and this gem of a photo was on the front page....

Startin' em young.

[​IMG]

Sorry let's carry on about Aso and others.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

we're not signing both Holmes and Aso.....that's a pipe dream.

Remember when Nate Clements signed that ridiculous deal with the Niners back in 2007 (i think it was an 8 yr, 80 million dollar deal), that's the type of deal Holmes is looking to cash in on. Something with a shitload of money, because this will probably be the contract he retires on. Someone like [insert idiot GM here] will severely overpay for this guy.

13. 101GangGreen101

Or even worse, John Beck :rofl: Holmes will regret taking that cash just like Coles did previously - it kind of reminds me of that situation

Braylon is giving us the 3 day FA period to renegotiate and ultimately sign with us, yes he had his big payday and all that but the man simply wants to win at this point in his career just as Aso does, those 2 fit this criteria which is why I think Braylon is the perfect fit for this team

Were not getting Holmes and Aso no way in hell, and I don't even think Plax is interested at this point with us, he likes Chicago, and you best believe the Rams are highly interested as well, I'd rather have the guy that's already in shape, YOUNGER, and still can improve as a player

To me it's either Braylon and pipe-dream Aso, or Braylon, Eric Wright / Carr / Lawson (for coverage purposes as a outside linebacker)

Not to mention we need Ellis, Woody, Pool, Eric Smith, Digz back as well

14. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Chicago said they had no interest in Plax, not that it means I want him in green, but it doesn't matter how much he likes Chicago. But I agree with your list of other players.

15. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Would be cool to have Santana Moss back

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Well Holmes is The Foreskins top FA,

Redskins...F**K them.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

peter king says Aso wants to be a Jet....What does that mean in terms of money? Im sure he and Revis have been talking and dreaming as well, but will Aso want something that can allow us to sign our guys along with him (excluding one of the WRs, prob holmes in this scenario). I know he wants a championship, but would he take that much of a discount?

18. Pick6Revis

Pick6Revis New Member

Brad Smith said he'd be willing to give a Hometown discount to return

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

where u see dat?????

20. Pick6Revis

Pick6Revis New Member

He was on one of the shows on SNY and was asked, Cro said he wouldn't give a Hometown discount, how about you?

and he said he loves the Organization and his teammates to give a hometown discount, but he also said he doesn't know what his value is, since it's 1st time being a FA