2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yeah, the Jets have nothing better at RT at the moment. Woody is the best option.

RT is a glaring issue. It can't be overlooked.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Woody and Shaun Ellis would make for VERY solid depth... I hope they're willing to come back on the cheap for one more go at it.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Yeah, I thought so. That's awesome. I hate to say it because he's obviously more than just a returner, but that makes a guy like Brad Smith real expendable. Especially with the shorter kickoffs...

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I hate to say it, but I can see a team with a lot of cap space (such as Tampa) throwing a contract Ellis' way that would price us out. That would be unfortunate, he makes his biggest plays in our biggest games.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Tampa has a bunch of young guys on their defensive line. I think they'll stick with what they have.

They need defensive backs and linebackers.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If he was 29, I could see him leave.

But at 34, and in a lockout year, he might take a 1 year deal to stay with the system and teams he knows. No coach is better to play for right now either.

He's from South Carolina, so to go home means to play for the Panthers.... he'll pass :grin:

7. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

God I love Ellis and I hope he is playing for the Jets this season. He was a beast in the ne playoff game and has been a Jet for life. It would suck to see him playing in any other uniform.

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Just throwing it out there...you take a shot on a guy like Talib if he's released by Tampa? I know the "Jets sign thugs" story would get beaten to a pulp, but this guy could really prosper opposite Revis.
    I know it's a hypothetical, so be nice. lol.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Sorry to keep using Rich fucking Cimini as a source, but he feels that a long term deal for David Harris will get done quickly.

The quicker, the better.

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

No doubt. I want Ellis back for sure. He is one of the most underappreciated Jets of the last 30 years. I just hope some team doesn't make him an offer he can't refuse just to get to the cap floor. He wants that ring though, so that's huge and, yes, the Rex factor is huge too.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Definitely. ...but I've seen some reports saying that Tampa will stick with him.

Talib's a talented kid, just very troubled. If he becomes available, he could be a steal depending on if he gets his act together or not.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

The guy from jetsblog was saying the same thing. Within the week, supposedly.
    I agree 100 percent. Having him and Scott signed for a while is very fucking important.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Yeah...checked a couple of articles since I put that post up, and Tampa seems to be backpedaling on "maybe" releasing him. He's definitely Top 10-15 material at his position, and if this whole scenario unfolds (which it probably won't), he could be had cheaper than a Cro, or a Joseph, etc.

14. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Harris deserves to get his deal done. He has been consistent on the field and has never complained about his contract situation. It would be nice to see this get done.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. Ellis is still chasing his first ring, one would assume he'd prefer a contender. We are that. Then again, money talks...

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

hahahaha....imagine a guy like Ray Edwards on our defense?

Atari Bigby is another intriguing candidate, but he's another injury-prone safety. It sucks because when he plays, he's not bad at all.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You think Ray Edwards can play OLB in the 3-4? I've always seen him as a 4-3 end.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Woody would start.

19. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Yeah, imagine a player that doesn't fit our scheme who plays off the talent of others in our defense...

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

yeah...but he's still a game changer on the field. I know Frazier is a great defensive mind, but coaches like Rex and Pettine could make it happen.

I know we're pretty rock solid when it comes to our core of players, but it feels like Christmas Eve to me. I was gonna go to sleep an hour and a half ago!