2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Cimini can also die in a fire.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

This is part of thejetsblog article that mick just posted:

Apparently, Harris' tender amount is included.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yeah I got that part.. I meant if dead money had counted towards the cap, how much dead money were the Jets on the hook for based on previous cuts.. I couldn't find that info. It doesn't really matter now that it doesn't count, I was just curious.. thanks though.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Well, yes...that too.

6. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

yeah....I was pointing out the same article says it's "expected" Harris will sign a multi-year deal within the next "4 days." That's certainly not perfectly inevitable, but I think that's a good sign and would make that 7.8 mil number even higher.

7. Boss Revis

Boss Revis Active Member

Im pretty decent with the cap in the NHL but I have no real clue in the NFL..

What is our actual cap room..

Do we really have enough room to bring back Holmes and a big guy on D? CB or Roth..

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm not sure this is true, but I'm almost sure they were right at the cap with the quote-unquote dead money counting.

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

So we're 7.8 million under..

The 2 obvious ways to get more free money is to restructure Sanchez off his huge cap number, and to extend Harris long-term and get him down to 4 or 5 million for this year.

Then hopefully B.Thomas and LT can take pay cuts and help our cap situation even more. I have plenty of confidence in Mr. T to take care of business.

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm guessing Bryan Thomas is a cap causality possibility. That would open up some money....

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I hate to say it, but I'm assuming LT already thinks he's playing for crackers. In regards to Thomas, see my previous post.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think Thomas will be back on a reduced deal.. he's a versatile player and we need someone out there. It's going to be hard to bring in free agents and have them learn the whole system, so I think a compromise will definitely be reached with Thomas that benefits both parties. If he gets cut, it's not like he'll make a ton of money on the market.. he's better off taking the pay cut from the Jets and staying on for another year.

Same goes for LT.. teams won't be banging down his door to give him big money to play for them and he knows that. He'll take a pay cut rather than get the axe so he gets another shot at a ring here.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I hope you're right and I hope he realizes what you wrote is true. He knows the system and has played a lot better for Ryan than he had for either of his other 2 coaches.

14. casman02

casman02 New Member

I am assuming that 7.8 million does not include the extra 3 million we can use on a veteran. We could be basically be about 10 million below the cap.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Jets could easily be 17 mil under by the next week. Sweet

16. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm just happy, and I'm sure this will rile up the Same ol' Jets fans, we're solid at a lot of our "power positions," ala O-line, RB, QB and most of our key defensive players are signed. Very, very positive thing a lot of other teams cannot say.
    Anybody who thinks we're not playing in January hasn't been paying attention. I'm excited for football again for the first time in a while and we have such a powerful base to have another great season I'm ecstatic.
    With Tanny at thew helm and a coach like Rex, how the fuck can you not be excited.
    This week will be very exciting, but, we have all the right pieces already. I have the utmost confidence in our decision makers. It's a good feeling.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

to add to that, the Jets will have the room to bolster the playmaking positions. A WR will be resigned. A situational rusher will be signed. Hopefully a safety with some dynamic ability will be signed.

With those players in place, this defense should continue its top 5 reign and the offense should at worst be what it was last year. But with Sanchez's progression its only going to get better.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Damien Woody said it's either "the Jets or nobody" this year on ESPN radio.

I think he's another veteran who will be brought back at a reduced salary this year.. obviously he was already released, but I think he will be brought back for a pretty cheap with maybe some bonuses based on games played and whatnot. He's a great guy to have back to groom Ducasse and play 1 more year while Vlad really gets his shit together. Woody was really good for us last year.. if he's close to healthy it's a no-brainer to have him back if the price is right.

19. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

This is a little off-topic, but is Westoff coaching one more season? With the shortened period of time to get ready for Week 1, I certainly hope so. Call me a naive follower, but I think I could line up for a kickoff and get 30 yards a return with his schemes....

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Yeah he's back for 1 more year before retiring