2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

Why are people so stupid?

We aren't signing NA and us not signing Cromartie doesnt necessarily mean the FO has faith in Wilson.

Wilson wasn't drafted to play nickleback. He might not be our definite starter as we will be picking up a cb in Free Agency. But Tannenbaum isn't about to spend 30-40mil on another cb leading to Wilson playing out the rest of his contract as the 3rd cb on the depth chart.

That would be a waste of a draft pick and money.

There is no reason to spend a lot of money on a great #2.

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Holmes, Braylon, and a FA CB would seem more plausible.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

if all this works, and we cut Thomas, we could have like 30million to play with. the dead money thing is huge if true.

4. True. And for a team that is in the middle of its window being open, I could see them getting very aggressive with that kind of money. NA would be a possibility, with the eventual hope that Wilson slid in and was right there with those two, though that's asking a lot.

If there's anything people should have learned about watching Rex, it's how much emphasis he puts on DBs.

5. And yes, I forgot about cutting Thomas, which unto itself is more than $3MM in cap savings.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If Cromartie leaves, what becomes a bigger need? CB or a safety?

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Santonio's agent just on 1050. Basically said his client(Santonio) really likes Rex, and wants to stay in New York.

He also didn't rule out taking less money, but also said "Santonio is the boss" so.... who knows. Just a PR interview probably.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Santonio's agent is on the Kay show right now and he says Santonio's preference is to come back to the Jets after talking about it all offseason and wouldn't rule out a hometown discount although didn't say he WOULD give one.

9. CB, I would think. Leonhard and Pool, with Dig, would at least be decent at safety. The concern would be Wilson. If he steps up, great. If not, there's a gaping hole across from Revis.

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

think Damien Woody is planning/hoping to return to the Jets?

damienwoody Damien Woody
    #Cowboys/ #Jets Week 1...... #Bananas!!!

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Woody or Ellis are the two likely candidates for that veteran roster exemption in my mind.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

he may already have heard through the pipeline that he is going to be resigned.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

maybe Tomlinson too?

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

he saying that to make the 'skins go big

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

True. Wasn't thinking of him because he is under contract but it would make sense to cut him and resign him using that.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right but he doesn't need to say anything to make dopey Dan Snyder go big.

Question... at what number do you cut off talks with Holmes? If he comes back and says the Skins offered me $x million a year, what does that x have to be over for you to say see ya?

17. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

The skins could fuck us over and raise the price on both our WRs. I'd let them just over bid for Holmes and let him live in misery.

It's clear Braylon wants to be here. He will take a slight discount.

#337 JohnnyThaJet, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

18. 6-10 would be the first number I mention to Holmes if he brings back an offer from the Skins.

19. bibigon

bibigon Member

It's $8.8M I believe.

Some teams (Jets, Colts) were very aggressive in cutting players last year, basically assuming that dead money wouldn't count. Other teams (Redskins among others) were quite conservative, and declined to cut dead weight like Haynesworth for instance.

It's a huge difference. I'm guessing this was genuinely unknown how it would shake out, and ended up being a concession to the players in order to get overall league cash payments up to 99% of the cap (as the new CBA requires). With teams like the Jets carrying $8.8M in dead money they couldn't spend, reaching that target would have been awfully difficult (but not impossible).

Anyways - it's Christmas. I'm going to guess however we don't use all $30M+ however. Some of this money is going to go towards a smaller restructure for Sanchez for instance, so that we save cap money in future years. Pace, Scott, D'Brick, and Revis only have bigger cap values going forward, so every dollar we spend on Sanchez now is one dollar less we spend in the future.

20. bibigon

bibigon Member