2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I don't agree on Carr. He plays a different style corner completely. He is a slot guy, not an outside corner.

Cro fits better in Rex' system easily.

Let's hope with the moving of money today, we can grab braylon and cro.

It's funny, we know money was moved but we don't know exactly what it did for us.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Didn't Floyd have some injuries last year? I'd still prefer Edwards out of that group. The other two are downgrades.

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Cromartie has horrible technique, which we saw last year, and in this defense that leads to a lot of penalties, as we also saw last year. Carr's a smart player who worked hard to become a starter in Baltimore and thrived once he got it. He has the type of mentality you want in a football player. He had to develop the rest of his game to make up for not having the natural talent that someone like Cromartie has.

I also think if Kyle Wilson fulfills his potential it'll be on the outside, so it would be great to have a strong slot corner like Carr.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/07/nnamdi_asomugha_goes_to_philad.html

The synopsis of the article is basically that after losing out on the "Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes" our focus is now on Cromartie. Our main competition for his services are the 49ers. If we lose out on him then we could potentially turn our attention to Ravens free agent Chris Carr.

Other needs listed are wide receiver and safety (pass rusher noticeably absent). Options at wide receiver include Braylon Edwards, James Jones, and Malcom Floyd (in order of likely preference). No potential safety acquisitions are mentioned (although possibly re-signing Eric Smith is).

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

if we don't re-sign Braylon, we don't need to sign a guy just to say we did. Cotch is a good #2, McKnight/Kerely can handle the slot, and next years wr class is deep ... The way the new cba is setup (1 franchise tag per players career, ufa after 4 years) there will be plenty of great fa's hitting the market in future years, no need to handcuff yourself

I think we should bring cro back, but we should not break the bank for him or braylon ... No need to be shortsighted about this, we will still compete. We have a ton of young players that are only getting better

6. Donutking30

Donutking30 New Member

No way we need Edwards back i dont want to see Cotch back at #2

7. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Did you post this from a chalkboard?

8. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

That sounds pretty good to me, quite frankly.

9. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

We just signed Eric Smith to three years.

10. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I don't buy these beat writers being privy to who the Jets are interested in and who they aren't. Just go back and read the articles written by the Eagle beat writers before today . . . how many of them mentioned Aso, even once?

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

They're not (at least in most cases) they're just usually the first to hear about it. Unless they have a person inside the war room they don't know shit. It's just what gets reported to them.

12. Coach K

Coach K New Member

glenn beck?

13. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

we should go after ty warren if ellis leaves

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If we cannot get Cro and decide to start Wilson, Carr would be perfect for this team.

#1994 CatoTheElder, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    I've been told that the #Jets have been in contact with Antonio Cromartie's camp tonight. Serious interest from three teams. #nyj

16. bibigon

bibigon Member

Ty Warren and Shaun Ellis are totally different types of DEs. Warren also hasn't played since 2009, and has failed conditioning tests in both 2010 and 2011. I've seen better fits.

17. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Dwight Freeney and Shaun Ellis are totally different types of defensive ends. Ty Warren and Shaun Ellis have similarities.

Warren has stated that he'll sign for the veteran minimum if he can play for a contender. Granted, he's probably saying that because he's desperate, but if the physical checks out and Ellis wants more than we can afford, I see no reason why bringing him in to spell Wilks wouldn't be a good idea.

18. bibigon

bibigon Member

Got a link to him saying that? I didn't see it.

19. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that's the Jets, 49ers, and Raiders, based on what we've heard (though after the Nnamdi fiasco, going based on what we've heard probably would not be the most accurate approach).

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Cro's demands shouldn't shock anyone.

Highest contract wins.