2011 New York Jets Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mr Electric, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

After an incredibly long off-season, free agency's almost here.

As NYJ fans, we got some important news today about one of our biggest free agents.
    Antonio Cromartie will likely end up on another team in 2011. The Jets clearly do not have the cap room to support the type of contract he seems to want.

I've decided to compile a list of AFFORDABLE free agents that should fit in well with the Jets.

The players aren't ranked. I tried to keep them listed in team order.

This is sort of a rough draft...so if you guys know if any of these players are restricted or if they re-signed in 2010, let me know. Also, if you want to add someone, do it.

I'm gonna start out with defense and then add an offensive list after.

DEFENSIVE FREE AGENTS:

We're more than likely going to lose our #2 corner, but last year's first rounder, Kyle Wilson, can slide into that spot.

With limited practice time, it may be smart to bring in someone that's already familiar with this scheme. Baltimore may potentially lose three of their corners - all three would be smart signings. Lito Sheppard's a seasoned veteran that's already played here.

As much as a lot of us hate Drew Coleman, his play improved dramatically last season. Re-signing him to a cheap deal would be a smart move, mainly for continuity on defense.

Signing a safety this off-season for depth at the position is a very underrated need.

Upgrading the position with someone like Dawan Landry would be an exciting move for the future of this team, but as of right now, I'm not sure what kind of contract he'll demand.

Re-signing guys like Pool, Smith, and Ihedigbo may be the Jets best option - once again, defensive continuity will be huge with a shortened off-season.

For the first time in a while, the front office drafted some big bodied defenders to give our front seven some youth. This team has a solid group of young linemen in Mo Wilkerson, Mike DeVito, and Kenrick Ellis. Sione Pouha is arguably the most underrated defensive lineman in the NFL.

Adding a little more depth is key. Shaun Ellis is up there in age, but he may play for pennies if he wants to remain in New York. The old vet would be a solid rotational defender behind DeVito and Wilkerson.

Dallas is losing a trio of intriguing 3-4 lineman. Spears has always underachieved, but he may give the Jets more production than Shaun Ellis.

With Jamaal Westerman's ability to play both inside and outside, the Jets are set at inside linebacker for the time being. Baltimore's Tavares Gooden would be a nice, developmental signing though.

It'd be nice if the Jets would get rid of Bryan Thomas to get a little bit of cap room. A little youth at OLB wouldn't hurt.

Matt Roth will probably be overpaid by a team that desperately wants to rejuvenate it's pass rush, but there's always hope. It'd be nice to see Jason Trusnik come back to New York - he was always a force on special teams.

Antwan Barnes played for Rex Ryan in Baltimore. Epic underachiever.

OFFENSIVE LIST COMING SOON

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Nice breakdown, Mr. E.

The great thing about this list is that I see a lot of Ravens, Jets, Browns and Cowboys here. The Ryan brothers have probably been watching film on a lot of these guys all summer, if not coaching them directly for years prior. You take a guy like Eric Wright, for example- is he as poor a player as his 2010 would lead you to believe? Rex can call his dear bro and find out. That's valuable.

Continuity is key. We need Ryan players.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Get Eric Wright. He'll bounce back on this team.

Pool and Smith need to return. Smith is perfect for this scheme and team. He's a great role player that had an amazing game against the pats in January.

Roth makes he most sense at OLB. Spears I'm lukewarm on.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not too high on Marcus Spears either. ...but getting a little bit younger at the position would allow this team to focus on other positions next off-season.

It seems like we keep reloading certain spots, especially the front seven, with older players.

That will eventually hurt this team.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...appreciate it, man.

Listing guys from certain teams was done on purpose, because those are probably the guys we'll target.

I agree with you on continuity being key. It will be huge this season.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I wouldn't mind seeing Eric Wright in the Green/White. Especially if guys like J.Joseph or C.Rogers get too expensive for Tanny's liking.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jonathan Joseph is going to make more money than Antonio Cromartie. He'll probably make more money than every CB except Asomugha.

The Jets don't need to sign a #2 corner. I believe we have that in Kyle Wilson. The Jets need to sign a guy that can play nickel and possibly #2 if there's an injury.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I agree, I think Wilson is ready too.

Tanny should take a look at that Josh Wilson kid from the Ravens....he's got some skills and should do well in the nickel package. Plus, he's in the middle tier of CB Free Agents....shouldn't be too expensive.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Josh Wilson and Chris Carr should be our top CB targets now that Cromartie's all but walked away.

10. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Things are going to get a little crazy around here in a few day,

Can't wait!

11. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I feel the same. I think we can get him at a discount because he underperformed last season, and I think his best days are definitely ahead of him.

You give me Pool, Wright, Coleman and Eric Smith for under $10 million and I'm totally satisfied. Coupled with the guys we already have, that's a competent defensive unit with a lot of untapped potential. Would I prefer adding Dawan Landry and Matt Roth and Nnamdi Asomugha as well? Of course I would, but the majority of our money needs to go to wide receivers. Rex can make due; Schotty can't.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Revis-Wilson-Coleman-Lowery-Cole wouldn't be the worst CB combination in the league would it? However bringing in another would certainly be helpful to our cause...

It all depends on where they want to play Lowery... I think he should be a full time FS and thus we should go after a CB, If the CS thinks he's more of a CB than we should look for a FS.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Bringing in another veteran corner would be a smart move.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Yeah, I'm not prepared to watch Coleman fuck up in coverage this season, the guy is excellent in blitz packages but stinks in pass coverage. Lowery is too slow, and Cole is still unproven.

Another vet CB would be a wise move.

I like the Chris Carr suggestion...he could fill a KR role as well as CB.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Carr is on my 2nd tier list. I have no problem with what he did in BAL. He'd be just as good here, if not better.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Coleman was great on the outside. The only nickel corner I saw that did it really well was Donald Strickland, but he missed considerable time.

I'll go as far as saying Colemans best year was last year, but he does get burned too quickly for a guy with his agility and speed.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's a philosophy that needs to be shared throughout the fanbase.

Clearly the priorities will be on the offense. Sanchez is this franchise. He has to be protected and have people to throw to. The running game will always be strong, as well as the defense.

Its really does come down to passing offense and pass rush right now.... but that RT issue bothers me too.

Hey E, can you get a quick list of FA Tackles that might be able to fill Woody's role as a stopgap?

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm working on an offensive list right now...shouldn't be too much longer.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

OFFENSIVE FREE AGENTS

I'm a big believer in that we need to bring back both Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards for Mark Sanchez's growth.

...but if we lose one of the two, we're gonna have to bring in at least two veteran wideouts.

Ben Hartsock is gone, so this team clearly lacks a blocking tight end. All of these guys listed are big bodied, solid run blocking tight ends.

Vladimir Ducasse's development may be affected by this lockout.

Bringing back Damien Woody is a definite option, but there's quite a few stop-gaps available in FA.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Green Hurricane wants Khalif Barnes!!!