2011 Around the Majors Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by devilonthetownhallroof, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Kershaw vs Lincecum tonight, one more time. Going for win #20.

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yeah, repeat of last week.

Taking Kershaw 5 Ks to keep my streak alive.

Cliff Lee pitching Game 2 of a doubleheader for the second start in a row, which is relevant for that game, because they only allow you to choose from Game 1.

Also, I posted all the night games for vBetting.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I think I'll change my pick to Ellsbury to get a hit.

The two ahead of me will likely take Kershaw, and if I take Kershaw, it'd be a no win situation.

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Amazing stat of the day:

Matt Kemp is in the top 5 in the majors in RBI.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

In 6 starts this season, Tim Lincecum is 0-5 with a no-decision against opposing starters with a first name of Clayton (and the Giants have lost all 6 of those games). (Clayton Richard: 1-0, Clayton Mortensen: 1-0, Clayton Kershaw: 4-0)

6. Italian Seafood

Kemp is around top 3-5 in the NL in average, hits, home runs, RBI, stolen bases and outfield assists. Now that we're over 500 it may help his MVP chances.

I was stoked last night, Kershaw gets his 20th win vs SF, cripples their playoff chances a bit more and put us over 500 for the first time since very early.

Amazing we could have legit MVP and Cy Young winners and we've been out of the running since May. I wonder if that's ever been done.

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I knew Kemp was the best hitter in the NL this year, but it's amazing that he's up there in RBI.

He plays in a pitcher's park, in a pretty weak lineup. He also gets walked a lot because no one else in that lineup really scares you (Juan Rivera?).

Compare to the other guys up there in RBI, like Granderson and Teixeira and Adrian Gonzalez, who play in hitter's parks, in the American League, in vastly stronger lineups, which means they get more ABs (less walks and also more plate appearances because the lineups rollover more) and a ton more runners on base for them when they come to bat.

8. IATA

IATA Trolls

Fuck Kershaw.

9. Italian Seafood

Once Furcal was replaced by Dee Gordon, there were actually guys on base for him a lot of the time. The team was about 15 games under at one point this summer, so they've actually been playing really good ball the past two months.

Andre Ethier was behind Kemp for part of the season, sometimes in front of him with different guys behind him, lately Loney is hitting a lot better and has moved back up in the lineup.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Ethier and Loney would be the two best hitters aside from Kemp and they haven't been that good this season. Loney even became a platoon guy at one point, because he was struggling so much.

Gordon has a .309 OBP, so he's not getting on base.

Ethier is an above average hitter, and that's with him being in front of Kemp for most of the season.

Loney's stats are average in general, and quite poor for a first baseman (108 OPS+, .337 OBP). When you consider that he wasn't even playing against lefties for a period, that's not good.

I stand by what I said about Kemp carrying this lineup. Take him out and you have a Padres or Mariners lineup.

11. Italian Seafood

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but watching most of the games, there have been different guys helping out Kemp at different times.

Loney's overall numbers probably aren't good, but the last two months he's been productive. Ethier is now done for the year, played hurt a lot, but posed a threat when he was in there. Gordon has been in and out, up and down to the majors/minors, so I'm not sure about his numbers, but he has games where he's all over the bases. Then you get the random other guys like Rivera, Barajas, etc who pitch in at different times.

Regarding Kemp, going strictly from watching (not a big numbers guy), it seems like most of his HRs come with guys on, which helps the RBI total. Some guys hit a lot of solo shots when you're down 6-1, Kemp isn't one of those guys.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Well, Gordon might have the worst OBP of all regular leadoff hitters at this point, so he isn't helping.

I don't know where I can find stats on how the different spots in the order perform for each team, or how I can see how many runners have been on when Kemp has come up, but I'd be able to back up what I'm saying with that.

It's simply amazing that he's keeping pace with the Boston and Yankees hitters.

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Took Pujols, changed to Ichiro, and then switched back to Pujols.

Ichiro got a single to lead off the game, while Pujols made out in his first two ABs before crushing the first pitch of his third AB.

Leader has 42. (no pick made thus far)
    Second has 41. (also took Pujols today)
    I have 40.
    4th had 38, but he lost today, so it's really down to the top 3.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Per rotoworld:

Juan Carlos Oviedo isn't Leo Nunez's real name either - it's Danny Almonte.

16. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Good shit, man, keep it going.

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Thanks. I'm leaning Milwaukee pitchers the next two days.

Anyway, Matt Kemp just about finished the Giants on Thursday night.

Dodgers 1st
    Madison Bumgarner pitching:
    Dee Gordon : Strike looking, Gordon fouled out to third.
    Jerry Sands : Ball, Sands flied out to center.
    Matt Kemp : Strike looking, Strike swinging, Foul, Ball, Foul, Kemp doubled to left.
    Juan Rivera : Foul, Ball, Rivera homered to left, Kemp scored.

Dodgers 5th
    Steve Edlefsen pitching:
    Matt Kemp : Kemp doubled to deep center.
    Juan Rivera : Ball, Ball, Rivera flied out to left.
    Aaron Miles : Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Miles walked.
    James Loney : Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Foul, Loney walked, Kemp to third, Miles to second.
    Waldis Joaquin relieved Steve Edlefsen.
    Rod Barajas : Ball, Ball, Ball, Barajas walked, Kemp scored, Miles to third, Loney to second.

Dodgers 6th
    Waldis Joaquin pitching:
    Dee Gordon : Ball, Ball, Ball, Gordon walked.
    Jerry Sands : Strike looking, Ball, Pickoff attempt to first, Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Pickoff attempt to first, Ball, Gordon caught stealing,catcher to second, Sands grounded out to second.
    Matt Kemp : Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Strike looking, Kemp doubled to deep left.

Dodgers 8th
    Russ Mitchell hit for Kenley Jansen
    Barry Zito pitching:
    Russ Mitchell : Strike looking, Mitchell grounded out to shortstop.
    Dee Gordon : Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Gordon walked.
    Jerry Sands : Ball, Ball, Sands flied out to center.
    Matt Kemp : Pickoff attempt to first, Ball, Ball, Kemp homered to center, Gordon scored.

======

Giants 4 games back of the Braves and 2 back of St. Louis now. They failed to take advantage of an epic implosion by the St. Louis bullpen.

Kemp is third in BA, second in homers, and first in RBI (NL).

18. mbsantos15

mbsantos15 Banned

A

just replying to get my post count up.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I bet you are a Royals fan.

Am I right?

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Crusher today. Had Greinke, the two ahead of me had Verlander. Greinke got his quickly, but Verlander got his 5th K as he was hitting 100 pitches.

Reynolds and Davis killed me with their Ks.