2011 - 12 Bowl Games Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Murrell2878, Dec 17, 2011.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I disagree. LSU had a shitty offense and there is no indication that they could beat Oklahoma St. that seems like a pretty close game as far as I am concerned.

same with Alabama. great defense, but suspect offense. can they outscore a high-scoring offense? don't know.

the idea that they are clearly the best two teams simply because they had great defenses is a bias toward whether defense should be a more important factor than offense when forming an opinion of the teams.

is Alabama better than LSU? absolutely. are they better than Oklahoma State? don't know, and bias kept us from finding out whether Oklahoma could beat LSU and the BCS system from finding out of they could beat Alabama.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I do not know if it was "BCS bullshit" but it was wrong that a conference loser (Alabama) played in the national title game.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Bama did pretty well vs LSU's Defense.

We will never know since OK St lost to Iowa State. OK state had their chance to win it all and they lose to the Cyclones.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That's your opinion, I undertand how you feel. There wasn't too much disagreement that Bama was #2, even coming from the same conference as LSU. Conference loser to the #1 team by a 3 point margin.

Clearly, Bama was the second best team going into the BCS title game.

OK State lost to an inferior opponent. Stanford also faded.

I really wish the Cowboys went undefeated.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

and that is where the bias comes in. OK St had to be undefeated to earn a shot at the title but not Alabama.

my point is that although there is no doubt that Alabama, LSU and OK St were likely the three best teams, Alabama and LSU being the two best isn't so absolute.

what we know is that LSU and Alabama each beat each other once. how does that really make Alabama the best team just because they won the second time around?

now, I agree that Alabama was better even in the first game, but they did lose it and that loss should count for something. and Alabama getting a rematch didn't answer the question of whether Ok St is better than either of them, and they were excluded because of SEC bias IMO.