2009 Draft, one at a time

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Green Hurricane, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I had an idea for something that could prove to be really beneficial a year from now when Draft Time rolls around. One at a time, just post a player that you like from next year's draft, just make it clear what year he's in (ie Senior or Underclassmen).

You can talk about why you think he'll be a good prospect, something about his team, a picture of the guy, whatever you like. I'm going to include pics in mine just because it'll help everyone remember when the season rolls around. Hopefully this will stay alive long enough so that during the season it can be referenced/added to.

2. Green Hurricane

Cullen Harper, QB Clemson. Senior

[​IMG]

This picture is a pretty good illustration of how Cullen Harper plays the QB position. Tough, mature, and really cool under pressure, I think that Harper has the tools to emerge as a very good prospect in 2009. He's actually set himself up for a Matt Ryan like rise up the charts when you consider the impressive talent that he has around him at Clemson, with 2 of the best 5 RBs in the country, and a quality receiving corps. He almost beat the comeback kid Ryan at his own game, but a pair of horrible drops by his best wideout set them back (go find the video of Harper's last drive in that BC game, included a clutch 4th down pass).

In my opinion, he'll end up as the 2nd or 3rd QB in this class depending on Underclassmen, but still a top 20 guy.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Bear Pascoe TIGHT END Fresno State Senior

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/00WRewU2Rch15/610x.jpg

In the picture, you'll see it takes 4 players, including GT's stud linebacker Phillip Wheeler, to take Fresno's 6'5 266 TE Bear Pascoe down. Pascoe is the 2nd best all-around tight end in 2008 behind Brandon Pettigrew of Oklahoma State. He's not flashy like Jermaine Gresham, but he brings more to the table. Pascoe, a converted QB, is extremely athletic for his size. He'll probably be the best blocking tight end available in next year's draft. With a banged up offensive line, Fresno's running game was ranked 14th in the nation in 2007 and Pascoe was a big part of their success. With Pascoe on the field, it was almost like the Bulldogs had an extra offensive lineman out there. He has great hands and he's a huge weapon in the redzone. Look at his stats from the Texas A&M game and you'll see what I mean: 7 catches for 70 yards and 3 TDs.

Now that Fresno State's quarterback Tommy Brandstater has more experience, Pascoe should emerge as one of the best tight ends in the nation. If he doesn't go in the first two rounds I will be shocked.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

LeSean McCoy

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejI-gUG_rhA&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=LeSean%20McCoy&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&[/YOUTUBE]

McCoy ran for 1328 yards on 276 carries (4.8 YPC) while being the only real scoring threat for Pitt last year.

He's a real smooth runner who almost never takes a big hit. He's better at running the ball outside than inside, but he's not scared to run it inside either. Once he hits the corner he really sees the field well, but his vision inside needs a little more polish. He's got some power to him, and I think he's got room to put on another 10 pounds on his 5'11 210 frame.

McCoy's my favorite RB from this class. He's got a very similar style of play to Tomlinson. Not saying he's the next LT, but I do think this guy with a bit more weight to him is the best RB in this class. I like CJ Spiller alot too, but I think McCoy is closer to ideal pro size and running style.

#4 JetsLookingforDWare, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

6. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech Sophomore(RS)

6'3 208 4.54

In a 2007 Draft class void of a 1st round receiver, it was clear that Michael Crabtree would've been the first taken off the board. He snagged 3 NCAA Freshman records for Yds(1962), touchdowns (22), and receptions(134) in the pass-happy Texas Tech offense. Make no mistake about it, he is not a product of the system. I believe Crabtree to be an elite wide-receiver prospect similar to Calvin Johnson with his overall combination of physicality, speed, and athleticism. I can't remember the last time we had a truly elite wide-receiver that an opposing defense would be fearful of(Keyshawn being the closest thing). We could also extend the career of Laveranues Coles a few more seasons by moving him into a slot to better utilize his diminuitive attributes.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Crabtree reminds me so much of Andre Johnson...he's got good game speed, runs great routes, and is sick after the catch.

8. Green Hurricane

Derek Pegues, S Mississippi St. Senior.

[​IMG]

One of the top safety prospects, played cornerback early on in his Bulldog career, and was also DMVP of the Army AA game after his senior year at CB. Not prototypical safety size, but we've seen a move towards smaller safeties as it is in recent years, as teams are looking for guys that have the versatility to play corner and man up in addition to their safety duties (see Meriweather, Weddle, Whitner, etc). The kid's a pure ballhawk and makes plays on the ball, unless he doesn't workout well, can't see him not being a first rounder.

9. Rocinante

Rocinante New Member

I agree, I don't think his timed speed will disappoint ala Jarrett or Mike Williams, but I don't see it being in a lower 4.4 registry. Nevertheless, his game speed is extraordinary in what I've seen in the Oklahoma St/Texas games.

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Crabtree really stands out. I know its early, but I'm willing to bet he is top 5 pick and I hope the JETS DO NOT have a shot at him because that would mean our 2008 season sucked as well.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Beat me to it! He just needs a little more weight and a little more eagerness when going up the middle. This would be the perfect guy to take over for Thomas Jones when he leaves and a great compliment to Leon in the backfield if got his turn on this team. I'd love to see him in green and white.

#11 CatoTheElder, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  12. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

actually strangely enough my math teacher taught him in high school, I would have put him on my list as considerations but not as the one player I would want

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Taylor Mays will probably get converted to linebacker in the NFL...He's a damn good safety, but imagine him playing in LB in the Cover 2.

14. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

if not Crabtree then I would have to say Wells I mean he is a power runner with speed considering his running style, his hands are below average but I mean washington is really the more receiving back of the bunch. I understand the need for a middle linebacker or corner or saftey but our offense is so stale I would rather wait for something good to come around in the second round to address our defensive needs and get something great in the first round to address our offensive needs

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Courtney Greene, S, Rutgers..............will most likely play FS in the NFL. Greene's intelligence and leadership skills make him a better football player. I'm really looking forward to Greene's performance in 2008. I don't get to see many Rutgers games, but the 2 or 3 I saw last season, Greene really stood out from the pack. A player that I wasn't keying on in 2007, but his play made me take notice of his skills.

Probably the leader on defense for the Scarlet Knights last year. If Greene has a solid 2008 season, which I anticipate, Courtney shouldbe a slam dunk Mid Rd 2 pick next April. I would like to see Courtney add10 Lbs to his frame, which shouldn't hurt his quickness.

#15 WW85, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

MARK PARSON

[​IMG]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFJAUJ3VMg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The nations top corner resides in Ohio but it might not be who u think Malcolm Jenkins is a great corner, but as far as one on one skills there might not be another corner better. The guy has shut down ability.He lacks great height but but he just never gets beat. Wen its all siad and done #24 might be the closest thing we have seen to Champ Bailey in a while.

Some notes i just found

* Parson ranks third in the nation in career pass breakups with 26.
    * He also has never been beat for a touchdown or a reception of more than 30 yards in his career.

#16 Nesquik, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  17. JetsLookingforDWare

You mean our #24, right?

18. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

ye him too

19. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I watched every Clemson game last year, believe me, Harper is nasty. He won over Clemson fans, which is impossible to do, because they criticize their qbs as much as we do, if not more.

Also, from my friends that go to Clemson, he's apparently the nicest, most down-to-earth person you'll ever meet. Very mature, extremely hard-working.

20. The GM

The GM New Member

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State.

He has the size (6'1 240 lbs) and the speed (4.4 40) to be very successful in the NFL. Is a great runner in between the tackles and can break away on the outside as well. Considered a Jim Brown type of back with his combination of speed and power. Not the best receiver out of the backfield but has capable hands. Will be able to carry the load.