2009 1st, 2009 3rd, & 2010 1st is too much???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SackXchange, Apr 2, 2009.

1. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

I tried to keep this in the Cutler thread but everyone ignored the question. Why are these draft picks being talked about like we are giving away gold? If we obtained Cutler you can easily say the Jets would be in the thick of the playoffs so next years pick would probably be somewhere late like in the 20s. Knowing that the Jets #1 priority is a QB doesnt it make sense to say we would be targeting a QB which one of these picks? So trading those three for Cutler is a no-brainer.

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that wasn't the asking price.

Cutler was traded for all the picks you mention in addition to a starting QB.

Do you wear a helmet at home?

3. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

Orton is not a starting QB. He is a backup and has always been a backup. He started by default in Chicago because they had nobody else. Didnt he lose a competiton to Grossman? LOL Do you even watch football? You are a joke buddy.

4. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Apparently Tannenbaum has a brain and decided the price was way too high. Not like the Jets are set for life in all aspects ya know.

5. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

Mr. T talks a good game but in reality he's in over his head with his GM job. He should go back to just doing the numbers because thats what hes obviously best at.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

New thread! Awesome!

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahahahaha.....nice shot, moosey.....top corner.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Listen guys.....obviously Tanny felt the deal wasn't there...and i'm glad he refrained...because given what Chicago gave up....the deal Tanny could've made might've crippled this team for the forseeable future.

And that was a tough pill to swallow....cause I was on the "Get Cutler" bandwagon.

All in all...smart move by the Jets FO.

9. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

If 3 or 4 draft picks cripple a team, then everyone running that team should be fired.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Since you apparently can't read in the other threads...

Orton is 21 - 12 as a starter and has a TD/INT ratio over .500. We don't have anyone on our roster with more than 3 wins, let alone a winning record. Denver wasn't about to start watching tape to measure the offered QBs against each other.

We play in the AFC. Denver clearly expressed an interest in sending him out of the AFC, hence why Cleveland couldn't get a deal done with Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn.

Without those two pieces, we were looking at a much higher asking price. If I had to guess, I'd guess you remove the QB from the equation and add a #2 before Denver deals with us. Too much.

11. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

Can you please explain how it would cripple us? Would it be his contract as opposed to the 3 draft picks? Would it be the potential players given up in the deal? I dont think it was too much to give up. As I asked in the opening....is giving up two late 1st Round pick really gonna cripple your team when you are probably gonna have to use one of them on a QB anyway?

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

A) we still would have had to give them a player like Orton which we don't have.

B) If you want a dominant defense and a strong running game why the hell break the on a QB?

C) Like Rhodes said, half of the Jets personnel doesn't like Cutler much (the D), and you don't play with team chemistry. (PS my guess is Cutler will never have the character to be a leader, but that's only IMHO).

D) He would be throwing the ball to nobody good since we don't have a good crop of recievers.

E) Our offensive line is really good in run blocking but isn't that good in pass blocking (unlike Denver), and if you have a QB like Cutler you throw A LOT.

F) If things go well on offense this will be Schotty's last year as OC. YOu might as well give a chance to someone who already knows the system rather than having a new (albeit talented) guy coming in, learning a system and then having to learn a new one next year.

G) Giving a chance to KC and Ratliff sends the players a message that if they play to their max they will have their shot to become starters. Motivation goes a long way in professional sports.

H) Having an unproven QB in a run first-strong defense team is the perfect fit because if he becomes at least a serviceable starter you haven't wasted a pick/trade. And if he sucks well it's not like he'll throw the ball 100 times per game so he's not going to screw it up THAT bad.

These are my reasons for not giving away two 1st a 3rd and a player for Cutler :)

oh.. point I) He is an enormous dick-head, immature and arrogant (and this opinion doesn't only come after all this Denver-Cutler mess)!!!!!

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

they do when you have depth problems on defense, on the oline and other holes to fill...like at Wideout and Safety.

Hey...I think Chicago got raped in the deal.....they got their franchise QB....but who's he gonna throw the ball to? Hester??....he's not even a natural wideout.

14. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Funny, he has brought in some quality FA's and drafted Leon, Revis, etc. I think he is doing just fine. Now that we are apparently keeping our picks, let's see what he has in store during the draft.

15. SackXchange

SackXchange New Member

As per rotoworld...
    Orton is hardly anyone's idea of a franchise quarterback, but he should see an uptick in 2009 production as a system quarterback under Josh McDaniels. Orton's contract is up after the season, however, and McDaniels will want to acquire his own quarterback to groom as Cutler's successor.

So in otherwords Denver is drafting a QB. So you mean to tell me Orton was the dealbreaker here?

16. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, and I'm a big fan, but Rhodes runs his mouth way to god damn much, he's becoming the Jets version of Curt Shilling, another one who has not been as good as he thinks he is.

17. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Orton is more of a starting QB than Clemens has ever been.

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Actually, Orton beat out Grossman last year to TAKE the starting job in Chicago. He responded by playing at an average to above average level until he got hurt, all with a less than stellar supporting cast.

There is no argument, Orton was a starter last year...that's a fact.

Regardless of Orton's value, however, is the fact that you started this thread insinuating that we could have paid less than what Chicago paid, which is ridiculous considering that we would have had to pay more due to the fact that we are in the same conference as Denver.

Translation:

Ooh, ooh, ahhh, ahhh, ahhh. Ooh ahh, ahh. Ooh, ooh ooh, ahh ahh. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiy.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

too late first round picks?? where do you get the 2nd late first round pick from??

oh right...you're assuming we go 16-0 because Cutler is in the green/white......well, here's a little dose of reality.....sometimes, life doesn't work out the way we like it....what if Cutler gets injured in week 1...and your "2nd late first rounder" turns into a top 10 pick?

nothing is cut and dried.

20. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Anxiously awaiting a sign Michael Vick thread to start tonight........:eek:hmy: