2008-2009 Yankees Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by dwalsh, Oct 1, 2008.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Jake Peavy?

I'm not so sure I'd want him. A 3.25 ERA in the NL West would translate to a 4.50+ in the AL East.

I'm looking over his stats and they're pretty nice, but I'm not sure he'd be a top-of-the-rotation guy here. If you're going to give up two young ballplayers with potential (one of which, when not lollygagging, has already shown MLB talent) you should get a quality vet in return.

I'm always leery of bringing a NL starter into the AL, but especially the new-look East now.

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

This thread is no fun without Don's angry Steinbrenner input.

3. Sundayjack

Appreciating that I could probably Google the answer quickly enough and just won't, are the dimensions of the new Yankee Stadium the same as the old? Does the new park change the type of player you're looking for this off-season?

4. Sundayjack

I. Love. Hank. Steinbrenner. He never leaves an interview without at least one blue-letter quote.

He doesn't go into any particular details, but he does mention a few very general goals and priorities. My favorite parts in blue.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Especially in the pitcher haven that is known as PETCO park. I dont think he'd be a 4.50, but he'd be a step down from what Josh Beckett is and would take at least 1 year to adjust properly to the AL.

Probably like 17-8 and a 3.78 ERA, solid No.2 guy for an AL team.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Peavy would be the best starter on the Yanks but I can't see the Padres dealing him for just Cano and Kennedy both of whom killed any value they had last year.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Team W - L
    Los Angeles Angels 100 62
    Chicago Cubs 97 64
    Tampa Bay Rays 97 65
    Boston Red Sox 95 67
    Philadelphia Phillies 92 70
    Milwaukee Brewers 90 72
    New York Yankees 89 73
    New York Mets 89 73
    Chicago White Sox 89 74
    Minnesota Twins 88 75
    Houston Astros 86 75
    St. Louis Cardinals 86 76
    Toronto Blue Jays 86 76
    Florida Marlins 84 77
    Los Angeles Dodgers 84 78

Anyone who still thinks Torre deserves "Credit" for this year is a fool!

And in Typical Joe Torre fashion....He kills his team because he fuks up pitching decisions.

I'm sooo glad he's gone.

Sorry, had to reflect...

Onto the future Yankees.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3645977

As the New York Yankees began a round of scouting meetings this week to discuss the future of the team, they know that veteran left-hander Andy Pettitte intends to pitch in 2009, and his intention is to pitch for them.

Pettitte

Sources said on Wednesday that Pettitte's agent, Randy Hendricks, has informed the Yankees of this recently.

No contract for 2009 has been negotiated between the pitcher and the team, but he has made it clear that he wants to play for the Yankees and the Yankees have made it clear that they want Pettitte, who went 14-14 with a 4.54 ERA for New York this season. Pettitte made $16 million last season.

Pettitte, 36, has sometimes felt the pull of retirement, but late this season, as the Yankees played their final games in their home of more than eight decades, he spoke wistfully of wanting to play in the new Yankee Stadium in 2009.

Pettitte is 215-127 in his career, most of which has been played with the Yankees.

Buster Olney is a senior writer at ESPN The Magazine.

He can blow it out his ass if you ask me

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

At anything near $16M, I agree with you.

If he's willing to take $8-10M, I'd be willing to bring him back, but even that is a lot. He's back-of-the-rotation guy now. It's hard to justify that kind of money. Sure, the Yankees have no problem throwing away money, but if you're going to throw away that much money, "waste" it on Burnett, Sabathia, and Sheets. It's not like Andy doesn't go on the DL.

Personally, I'd rather bring back Moose if I had to choose between the two. If they both come back, then maybe we only pursue one of the Sheets/Sabathia/Burnett/Lowe group.

Damn it. I just don't know. Part of me says guys like Andy, Moose, and Abreu should return. Then part of me says "Well, that shit hasn't worked yet, so what makes you think it will now?" Of the three though, I am most comfortable giving multiple years to Abreu. Next would be Moose, and Pettitte I doubt I would give a multi-year at all.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

scrap the entire team and start from scratch.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

12. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Thats one hell of a left centerfield. Death Valley returns......

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Hank said Joba will return to the rotation next season.

14. IATA

IATA Trolls

Why even build a new stadium if it looks identical to the old one(for the most part)?

15. jonnyd

cuz it has more luxury boxes and wont smell like ostrich pussy for at least two years

16. jonnyd

article this morning said Pettitte may want two years....umm And, are you kidding me right now?

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

:rofl:

That's the funniest shit I've read this week! :up::beer:

Did it say how much he wanted? If it's $6-7M/year for two years, I'd give it to him. Even if he fails, that's small enough to eat. More than that though, and it gets really hard to justify.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Hughes doing well in the Fall League.

In other news, Bobby Meacham won't be back next year. Girardi claimed he thinks some changes need to be made around the club. Rich Monteleone is gone as well. Long is the only guy with a contract through next year, but Pena and Eiland are both expected to return.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I would take Peavy in a second.

Alio, you don't factor in the learning curve for AL batters. When a good pitcher changes leagues the batters struggle and a good pitcher can get away with being off so long as he can keep them guessing.

20. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

The talent differential in batters between the AL East and the NL West is ridiculous, though... not to mention the adjustment for parks. I love Peavy, but Petco Park is the best park to pitch in. In the same division, Dodger Stadium is the second best park for pitchers in the game. The AL East has three of the twelve best parks for hitters in baseball (Fenway, Camden, and Yankee Stadium... Toronto and Tampa come in 18th and 19th).

Link to park factor page

Again, I love Peavy... but I wouldn't go too crazy trying to get him because of the adjustment you'd see. (The adjustment would be to his stats, not to his approach.)