17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

Oh, forget my previous post then. It's a non factor then lol, I am use to these New York Malls which are open 7 days a week.

2. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

yes i feel up until the super bowl is our time to shake and bake and use tactics against the organization to manuever ourselves in the best seating possible and at our price.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Exactly.....the economics have changed bigtime in 3+ years.

In early-2008, HBO ran a show on "Real Sports" showing how the internet -- eBay, Craigslist, Stubhub, etc -- had led to an explosion in ticket pricing alongside club suites, boxes, etc.

At the time, the economy was BOOMING, especially the housing and financial markets. Firms like Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers were good for a few million in club seats or suites from ALL the major clubs, including the Jets/Giants. My friend at Lehman Brothers said the firm in 2007 was committed to a suite, and bunch of club seats, plus dozens of high-ranking guys who wanted their own seats renewed or 1st-timers at the new stadium.

Well, what happened ? That 'price discovery' that "Real Sports" talked about -- how tickets with a face value (FV) of $100 were being sold for $300 or $500 on the internet and how the clubs wanted to 'capture' that value -- turned out to be 100% leveraged to the economy, especially housing (40% of all jobs created in the last 10 years) and financial services (big in NYC and most other metropolitan areas).

The show mentioned that a guy with 4 field level seasons tickets to Yankee Stadium (a few rows back from the dugout) -- there since 1976 (when the refurbished stadium opened) -- was paying $80,000 a year for his tickets (about $250 per seat per game). In the New Yankee Stadium his bill was going to $800,000 -- a 10-fold increase. Neither him nor any of his 32-year Field Level neighbors were going to the new stadium (that's why you see so many empty seats at Yankee Stadium)...they couldn't afford it. Or if they could, couldn't justify it.

So what happened? The economy tanked and not only has demand been found to have been extremely elastic to the economy (with stock prices, housing, and jobs all down) but so have other revenue sources like stadium naming rights (Jets/Giants, Cowboys).

Throw in the competition from 65" HDTV's -- much keener competition than 30 years ago when you were at most going against a 25" color CRT or a few years later when you had pixel-screendoor effect rear projection TV's -- and suddenly a 100-500% increase in ticket prices and a PSL fee of $1,000 - $20,000 is no longer such a hot deal.

Plenty of tickets for most games, except the occasional 'hot' one like against a division rival. Meaning you can't justify paying the prices that 227 talked about and selling off your surplus tickets and recouping most of your expense. Even selling off the 'hot games' wont' give you enough to make it economically worthwhile. Same situation as with the Mets and other teams: too many people bought too many tickets thinking they could sell most of them online and recoup most of their $$$ investment.

Tulipmania, anyone ???? LOL

Congrats to the NFL for once again showing that the laws of Supply & Demand still exist in the sports world !! lol

4. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

good post.......

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Thanks...besides my economics and financial knowledge, I learned from personal experience...NY Mets fan with plenty of tickets.

Umm......you wanna buy any games ? Give ya a good price...come on !! You know you want it !!! LOL.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Ebay is doing a pretty good job of showing Supply and Demand too. Here are two ads at below cost with ZERO bids (looks like the same seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NY-JETS-PSL-C...?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item27ba89dde9

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-NY-JETS-PSL-L...?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item27ba89de47

All the PSL ads on this page have ZERO bids. This is a disaster. Poor guy just wants off the hook.

7. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

I think its still to early to judge the secondary PSL market. Not too many people out there are willing to spend 10 grand plus on a PSL when there might not even be football this year. Plus with the fact that we are only one year into this whole Jets PSL market. Anybody that was willing to buy a PSL probably already did so through the Jets last season. If somebody didn't want to spend 2,500- 20,000 on a PSL last year when the Jets came calling chances are they don't want one to buy one a year later from some guy off of Ebay. I think it's only fair to wait about 2-3 years to really judge the resale of Jets PSL's.

8. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

http://www.northjersey.com/news/bus..._to_unveil_sports_complex_revitalization.html

Confirming last week's NYT report of expansion plans.

9. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

"The new developers of the project once known as Xanadu, now American Dream at the Meadowlands, knew if their project was going to be successful, a change to its existing orange, blue and teal facade was in order.
    Renderings unveiled this morning by Triple Five now show a shimmery, backlit structure that will be done in glass, mesh and other materials.

"I can tell you it will look nothing like it does today," said Paul Ghermezian, senior vice president of Triple Five.
    "The concept is sleek lines with a modern energy. At night, it's going to be amazing. It's going to glow," he said during a tour of the project's partially completed interior.

The American Dream redefined: pigging out at an ugly mall in a New Jersey swamp

The developers taking over the troubled Xanadu retail and entertainment complex in the New Jersey Meadowlands reportedly plan to rename the complex "American Dream @ Meadowlands." Ledger Live host Brian Donohue examines the origin of the term "American Dream" to explain why the new name makes an absolute mockery of what was once a beautiful ideal.

The proposed 2.9 million-square-foot project is set to open in fall 2013 and will offer a 16-story indoor ski hill, a water park and an indoor ice rink. Other elements include nearly 1.7 million square feet of retail space and 150,000 square feet of fine dining and restaurants, according to a news release."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/new_owners_of_american_dream_f.html

[​IMG]

Sweet opening in the fall of 2013, just amazing stuff.

(sarcasm)

10. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

looks sick!! they are doing it for the super bowl too!! good for them. Well see if it will get done.

11. sg3

sg3 Banned

whatever the final result getting rid of that POS Ross and his Miami Dolphin color scheme for the previous version is an improvement

12. Section 227. Row 5

13. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

Wow seeing just how low PSL's are selling for on EBay makes me feel good for those that decided to wait. Like 227 said, there are great deals to be had! One guy is auctioning off 2 $10,000 a seat PSL's for a starting bid of $12,500 and 2 $6,000 a seat PSL's for a starting bid of $7,500. I hope nobody is buying PSL's through the Jets when you can get an amazing deal on the secondary market. Cheers to those that waited, it's now a PSL buyers market. But I really hope that this is in direct result of the looming lockout, I guess time will tell.

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

And I love how people have resorted to trying to scam buyers on ebay, just look at this guy:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-New-York-Jets-PSLs-FRONT-ROW-LOWERS-Must-See-PSL-/130513111718#ht_4748wt_1139

I almost pulled the trigger until I took out my microscope and saw that the price was for only 10% of the PSL. What an asshole

15. Gator

Gator Active Member

16. GordonGecko

I'm reporting each listings I can find like that, it's a "dick move transaction" (circumvention of ebay fees).

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactCS
    -> Selling
    -> Report an Item or Listing
    -> "Report an Item" button
    -> Pop in the item number, Report
    -> Listing Policy Violation
    -> Circumvention of eBay Fees
    -> Additional purchase offered or Required

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

You sound like you are a appointed policeman for Ebay

18. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Look at some of the fine lines. I have been looking too but everyone is requesting the full payment that price is just a bonus. Some people are selling for less than face I have seen that but they are people who are in 100% need to get money back due to an issue. If someone does not need the money for the psl and just sells the season tickets then they will wait till the price goes up. Its the first year the price will go up in 2-5 years if the jets keep playing the same and if they win a Super Bowl and are the New York team then they will be worth alot.

We all shall wait and see.

19. GordonGecko

True, for all those ebay listings only one was a completed sale. The guy said he was moving out of town and he sold his 2 lower end zone PSLs for $4,995 (which has a retail of $5,000)

20. Section 227. Row 5

Yes, possibly so. But those are some pretty stiff "ifs" though. IF we keep playing the same and IF we win a Superbowl... well yeah, then perhaps, just maybe, some of the the PSL section prices will see some inflation.

But it's a pretty tough headwind because, as we can see right now, the Secondary Marketplace is telling everyone these things were overpriced to begin with. The market is not supporting the original offering prices for the most part, and that's following a season in which we were 30 minutes away from a SuperBowl appearance.

Now IF we can continue with this and IF we get to the SuperBowl, then yes, maybe some of the prices hit break-even or slightly north of that.

But IF something somehow goes wrong... and maybe a couple of times... and there are a couple of key injuries... and the ball bounces one way or the other and the W becomes a close L several times... and we don't get the right calls and all of a sudden we find ourselves at 5-8 and there's lockerroom problems and Sanchez goes down with an ACL and etc. etc., and we wind up 7-9 losing to the Pats and we're out of the playoffs... then what happens then?

All I'm saying is, the initial offering prices of the original PSLs had perfection built into the cake already... priced to perfection. SuperBowl talk and we'll kick your ass and Sanchez is the next Joe Willie and Golly, look at these "cheap" PSLs! I gotta have one!

Well, picture all that optimism in reverse.... the flip side. I've seen those years, plenaty of them, believe me... enough to know what happens to ticket prices in the rain on a Sunday night when we're 4-10. It gets pretty ugly.