Becton and Mims made of glass?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Douglas has doubts about Becton's ability to stay in games he's going to draft Sewell without thinking really hard about it.

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

you guys need to stop defining players after their rookie season.

Especially Mims who is playing in an offense that runs everything through the slot and with a QB who can’t read the field.

How many fans on this board were ready to dump Quinnen after his rookie year?

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Raise your hand if you are willing to tell M Becton he is "made of glass" to his face ...ahahaha

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Exactly what I've been thinking. I wonder how much of Becton's weight is fat and/or water weight. Just a concern as I do see him headed to the sidelines a bit too often. Mims shouldn't have even been on the field yesterday. The game only had meaning for two people: Adam Gase and Sam Darnold. Interestingly enough, looked like the D mailed it in going towards the end of the game. Gase's second half offense was a pretty typical no-show.

5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

No one is saying to dump Mims or anything and no one is also defining them this year. I only brought up the fact that his top end speed for someone who runs a 4.3/4.4 should of at least had a few plays ala Perriman where he got behind the defense and i can’t remember a single play this year where that was the case. He looks like a Plaxico Buress type so far.

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

HAHA This better be sarcasm?
    A ROOKIE WR drafted in the 2nd round with the ability and drive that Mims has...On a Rookie Deal...On a Team lacking an Outside receivers....Won't be wearing green much longer?

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

They both look fat to me

sorry I had too lol

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A 3rd pick.... (who missed training camp) which makes that more ridiculous. Dude looks like a player to me

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Both had no camp, no pre-season and battled injuries all year. Hopefully year 2 will be better and similar to Q's development. Q got hurt early his rookie year and played all year basically on one leg.

Hopefully 2021 will be better for everyone.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Yes, he will be a good one. WR is a tough position to learn in the NFL, the art of rout running as one poster mentioned, is the challenge for him. Add to that Mims played in an Air Raid system makes the transition harder. Then the double Hammy's and etc

He was a round #2 selection though (no biggie)
    NFL Draft 2020: Jets pick Baylor WR Denzel Mims in Round 2 | Can he help Sam Darnold immediately? Adam Gase better hope so - nj.com

stinkyB likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

OK. my mistake. Thought he was drafted in the 3rd. Either way, I think he looks good when you factor in the big picture

RochesterJet likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agreed regarding Becton. I'd also add that lots of guys Becton's size are inherently more prone to injury because it's rare to find a well proportioned and balanced guy who is that tall and big.

13. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Practically our whole rookie class was either banged up coming in or banged up during the regular season. I agree with that it is a worry but not a major concern yet.

COVID protocols could still be in play next season but at least they will have ample time to formulate better offseason plans/programs.

Jets79 and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I honest to God think Gase had some sort of curse on him with injuries; his Miami teams were just as banged up as we have been the last two years.

Quinnenthebeast and REVISion like this.
  15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I said early in the draft process that I was concerned about a player the size of Becton not holding up physically, and that will always be a concern. However, I see that as a more likely issue in 3-4 years, and I would chalk up most of what has happened so far to the offseason and s***-happens side of things. His injuries have not been back/hip/knee issues which is really what scares me.

I will always be concerned about a dude that big going down hard, but you live with those fears at this point.

Mims, don't stress it. Darnold really couldn't utilize him properly. He is a great sideline receiver, and for some reason Darnold never really got on the same page as Mims, and never really gave him very good ball placement. Flacco did a much better job with that connection.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wasn't Marcus Maye made of glass when he got dinged up in his second season? People need to get a fucking grip.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Gospel truth. As if only Jet players get injured. I’m surprised Mims did as well, with Gases down the middle game plan and Sam’s timing.

18. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

I'm didn't say he wasn't talented. I think he's just injury prone.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Stop. Someone like Blake Cashman is injury prone. I’m not gonna call Becton and Mims quite that yet.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Becton needs to lose the baby fat like Quinnen did last offseason. He’s a totally different player now.