Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Still with the Yankees ability to spend money it's not that difficult to build a great team year after year. You don't need an analytics department to figure out a lot of their signings are great. They're coming off of teams where they WERE great. Where analytics helps them is to build depth in other places. This year they were ravaged by injuries and haven't skipped a beat. Yankees have done extremely well...though I do think even if they ignored analytics they'd still be pretty damn good

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. forevercursed

Well they don't have Brady

How did Belicheat do as a HC without Brady. Maybe not horrible...but he's nowhere near what he is now is he

3. forevercursed

Texans wanted him last year. The Eagles denied the interview request.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Confirmation bias nerd has confirmation bias.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sorry Ralebird.

I thought you were saying that "some may not care" about the Jets lameness & unprofessionalism.

I now see that you were saying that "some may not care" about your opinion.

So really...who made it about you?

Mr mittens likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Mr mittens and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My point is just because you are part of a SB winning staff does not mean you can go to another team as a GM or any other position and replicate the same success.

Idzik was part of a SB winning staff and was run out of town. Rex was part of a winning team but could not sustain it as Jets HC, Bowles was the next best thing since sliced bread, he failed.

I just don’t want to be disappointed again by the next can’t miss, everyone says great things about him in the inner circles guy, who goes on to fall flat on his face because the job is not easy and only a hand full of guys can master it.

My hope is to have a GM that will focus on the oline because he realizes how important it is for the QB to have protection and a unit that can open holes for Bell.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Belicheat just went 3-1 while Br*dy was serving his cheating suspension.
    He also went 11-5 with Cassel, was the last HC to win a playoff game in hapless Cleveland, and has multiple rings as a DC.
    Br*dy would be nothing if it weren't for Belichick.

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Macc was a "bad" GM in the sense that he never had a plan or blueprint, and it showed. He acquired some good talent and that won't be taken away from him, but he didn't acquire enough of it by a long shot. And then when we hear how he really didn't communicate with his coaches (and probably the owners), it's clear that he will never be a team builder. He should've been fired - along with Bowles - and not extended the year before, and had Chris really been paying attention he might've been. But he's gone finally and we can move on with a decent chance of becoming a winning team.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As one of the former gloom&doomers, I fully endorse this message.

LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to really follow the news the past couple of weeks but love the hire. As others have stated, I don't care how much the GM gets paid, as long as he does his job, and does it well. It would have been nice if we could have signed Douglas prior to Free agency and the draft but it is what it is. With Douglas being a former Offensive Tackle, he should be able to scout and improve the O line and get Darnold protection. Worst case he can slide inside and play center this season...:D

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Patriots.
    They are the only team in the league that doesn't subscribe to one of the 2 scouting combines every other team uses (BLETSO and National). Kind of like Rivals and scout are used by NCAA teams.
    They continue to scout players from their board throughout their careers and also use that data to track their scouts performance. Scout A may Excel at scouting RBs but be terrible at scouting DBs, so they adjust their assignments accordingly.

BamaDoc likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Me too!

LAJet likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Excellent post! Well said!

15. NCJetsfan

Well said!

16. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I haven't read every post in the 11 pages but here is something I think is key. The six year contract when it comes to hiring support staff. People may have loved Douglas and wanted to work for him but if they are in a decent situation they may not have wanted to move for 3-4 years (with our record of instability). Six years allows him to offer stability to scouts, support staff, asst gm etc. If it is someone he really wants maybe they get more years than is typical of a contract as well as dollars. The six years allows him to sell his vision to others. He clearly will have time to turn it around and build it his way. In six years, maybe a dozen players will still be with the team.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I have Hope for, Douglas. [Not Much]

I have zero faith in, Gase.

So, I'm definitely on the SOJ side of things.

Jets81 likes this.
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

What makes you say that?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

He did have a blueprint. It was go out and get a FQB. He overlooked Mahomes, whiffed badly on Hackenberg and missed maybe to the Jets long-term benefit in Cousins. But in the end I think he got the right guy in Darnold. We'll see.

As for all the stories post his firing, dont you think that was leaks by the organization to validate the firing? We havent heard from Mac, and I hope we dont. Just move on and be happy that Mac was able to get the FQB and build the team enough to attract guys like Douglas and Gase.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Macc didn’t have a blueprint. Looking back a lot of his press conference were empty talk. His team building process was terrible.

I couldn’t look at a player in the draft and say “That’s a Macc guy” he never really established an identity or direction for us.