The Real Best Time to Replace the General Manager?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ralebird, May 17, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS HAS BEEN INTENTIONALLY POSTED IN THE NFL FORUM FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION RATHER THAN IN THE JETS FORUM.

The intent is that any comments made here abstain from reference to any particular persons but rather to the timing of making such a move. We don't need to rehash that which has already been beaten to death in numerous other threads.

www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-offseason-schedule-2019-nfl-draft-combine-free-agency/1qwwvm3zuk37d1457u93dqe2pn

While I see the merit in other opinions expressed elsewhere, I have not seen any that share my opinion that the actual best time to make such a replacement is at the start of the regular season continuing for a month or two when the actual workload for a GM is reduced largely to finding injury replacements.

The attached Sporting News article timeline shows how much work the General Manager has on his plate between now and September 5. Is it really what you want to dump on the new guy? This coincides with the critical preseason for coaches and makes me wonder how any guy who wears both the HC and GM hats can do justice to either. Does waiting until the playoffs are under way or over, as most teams seem to do, give him enough time to prep for free agency and the draft?

During the regular season, particularly its first half, the scouting departments will be working at peak but the GM himself will not be particularly taxed. The second half of the season is when it becomes most clear where the weak spots are in a team and that coincides with beginning preparation for the following spring's free agency and draft. That's why I believe September and October would be prime time.

Having said that, does anyone remember a team changing horses in what appears to be midstream (but likely is not in the front office) even if it seems to make sense?

Patriot likes this.
  2. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Usually, the GM is fired at the end of the season as is a coach. Since the GM was not fired at the end of the season with the coach leads me to believe this is more about personalities than philosophy.

It has been suggested the GM and the coach were not on the same page, but is it possible relations with the owner and GM went immediately sour?

Perhaps Christopher Johnson should be asked whether there was any personal animosity between him and Maccagan?

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Perhaps you didn't read the post to which you replied.