The future of Jets and NE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenHornet, Dec 6, 2007.

1. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

I'm sure he could get some advertising dollars. But he can also get alot of dollars with a contract. I'm sure his agent is going to let him know that. I doubt any agent would let him sign a contract that isn't going to be near the ballpark of his value at the end of the season. He's having one of the best receiving years ever in the history of the NFL. Signing a sub-contract set precedence for his position and his peers and usually only happens when a player decides to be their own agent.

When Tom Brady re-signed a couple years ago, people thought he took a smaller contract to stay with the team. The truth, the first four years of the contract made him the highest paid quarterback. Higher than Peyton Manning. The overall value was less, but Tom Brady didn't accept less pay to play with the patriots.

2. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

My point was that you could say the same about ANY dynasty.....

In today's NFL, tho, manageing the salary cap and talent evaluation are more important than individual players.

And, for the record, Brady was going to become the starter anyway....BB never liked Bledsoe as a QB, but he liked Brady enuff to keep him as a 4th QB on the roster his first year, and he was bumped to second QB the next.

Mo Lewis just inadvertantly accelerated the plan. Brady would have been sarting at some point the following year......kind of like what Romo did to him....so Mo Lewis is resonsible for SB36, but that's about it.

3. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

The decline will start this season WHEN Brady gets injured while Bellicheat attempts to run up the score on the Steelers.

4. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

No way. The running up the score is going to be saved for next week.:wink:

5. WestKyJetsFan

WestKyJetsFan New Member

my prediction

My prediction... New England loses in the Playoffs, makes all the NE fans and people who talk about undefeated looked silly. Remember that great Viking offense with a certain Randy Moss that went 15-1 or so? Remember how they didn't even get to sniff the SuperBowl?

Upset city,
    I can see Indy, Pittsburgh, and San Diego all Possibly beating NE. 2 of those 3 will most likely play them in the playoffs.

As for the future, how long till Randy Moss wants out? How long till a big money team with nothing to lose comes offering some serious, serious cash for a couple players? If Miami goes 1-15 or 0-16 you can bet they're going to offer some serious cash for some players from New England. Some of those guys have a few SB rings and would like the matching diamond encrested wallets to match.

6. WestKyJetsFan

WestKyJetsFan New Member

I hope they're dumbe enough to try to run up the score and leave Brady in. Let's forget about defending the pass at that point and rush the house with everyone. Pile up on number 12. Let's see how they do without golden-boy for the playoffs.

7. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

Same thing happened with the Colts and the Donkeys, as I recall. It is very possible.

As for Miami, they are far too phuked up to make any sort of coherent plan. If they want to bring in more high priced players while the base talent still sucks, good luck with that.

8. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Great thread.

9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

LMAO Nugent slips on the turf

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The main reason they are great and will continue to be great is that they build great lines through the draft on both sides of the line. They have plenty of depth on both sides of the line as well. In addition they have the best coach and qb in the NFL. You win in the NFL by having the best coach, QB, and lines. Right now the Jets have a coach who one day should be great, they have a qb that we can't judge yet since the sample size is so small. And I don't think I have to say anything about lines.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Excellently said.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I'm excited for this team. I really don't care what our record is right now. I would much rather win 5 games this year and have Kellen play then win 8 and have Chad play.

The offense has 3 solid lineman who will be here for the next 5 to 7 years in Brick, Mangold and Moore. Everyone underrates Moore, he's probably our best run blocker. Obviously the RT and LG has to be addressed sooner then later. We have a qb who has the potential to be very good. He can make every throw, he's athletic, tough and seems to bring his game up in big 4th quarter spots. We have plenty of solid skill players in TJ, Leon, Cotch, Coles, Baker, Brad Smith. None of those guys is going to be confused with Randy Moss but they are a solid group who should only improve with a better offensive line and increased experience from Clemens.

I really like Brad Smith and Wallace Wright. I know neither is going to be a solid every down wr but they are both great special teams player who can contribute when given the chance from scrimmage. My hope is that they are developing Bender to take over one of the line spots. And I'd like them to sign Stacy Andrews. That would give us plenty of size and 5 relatively young guys to play together for years to come.

On defense we've seen since the bye week that we actually have some nice talent. The defensive line has become an interesting unit. Mosley and Robertson are very tough for any lineman one on one. Both of those guys on passing downs can create havoc. I still don't feel either one has a role in a base 3-4. Robertson shows flashes but he's not a long term answer at nose tackle and he makes to much money to be a situational pass rusher. I really like Pouha as a backup NT. Given 15-20 snaps a game he's a very difficult player to move. Ellis has become a very solid LE in the 3-4. He knows his role and he does a nice job. The other ends are more rotational players then anything else. Coleman is a nice player, even though we had to overpay to get him. He'll be part of the defensive line rotation for years to come. I'm hopeful that Devito can keep developing but none of us have seen enough to really judge him. I'm hoping that this offseason they can find a 350 pound DT to stick in the middle. Everyone else on the defensive will improve drastically by making this one move.

The defensive line sets the tone for the defense but in a 3-4 the linebackers are the key. Right now we really don't have the dynamic OLB that is necessary to pressure the qb in the 3-4. We really have 3 ILB's starting in Harris, Hobson and Barton. David Harris is an absolute beast and should be going to Hawaii on a regular basis sooner then later. Hobson and Barton are both solid in the middle, but neither has any business playing outside in a 3-4. Bryan Thomas is not nearly as bad as everyone thinks. He had a great strip sack last week beating a tight end. Basically the linebackers unit is missing one key player just like the line. Given one dynamic player at weakside linebacker the opposition would have a much tougher time moving the ball. The rest of the defense would have more space to operate as teams double teamed this player. Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis would be able to cause a lot more trouble if offensive lines actually had to worry about the opposite linebacker.

The secondary was killed early in the season because we couldn't rush the passer. It's very difficult to judge Revis when the other team has 5 seconds to throw the ball. No one, not even Champ Bailey is covering for that long. Revis, like Harris is another top level talent. I really haven't seen any reason to think he won't be as good as any cornerback in the league right now once he gets a pass rush in front of him and he gets 25-30 games under his belt. Revis has the rare blend of size, speed, tackling ability and intangibles for a cornerback. Hank Poteat is a very solid system cornerback. He won't give up the big play, he makes all the tackles and he doesn't make assignment mistakes. He's not going to shut down anyone but he's the kind of player you want on your team. The rest of the corners are garbage, Barrett and Dyson both suck. Hopefully Miller comes back from the injury and doesn't lose any speed. The fact that Drew Coleman is still on the roster has to make me think the coaching staff thinks he can play. I like the safeties, Rhodes is a great ballhawk and pass rusher. He needs to tackle better but he's become a top tier safety. Elam has brought an intensity to that defense with his speed and tackling ability. Smith is a solid special teams player and has done a nice job on passing situations. Again the secondary with a real pass rush has the potential to be very good.

In conclusion the team is really four players away from being very good. We will have to be patient with KC but we all knew it would take time for a qb to learn to play in the NFL. If we can sign Ethan Kelly and Stacy Andrews that would fill two of the holes. I don't know if Kelly has the talent but he certainly has the size. If we can stick Bender at LG and draft someone like Quentin Groves we would be able to fill all four positions in one off season.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Me thinks U ought to stop drinking the green koolaid & retire those green shaded sun glasses for a few years

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Why's that? We finally have a front office and coaching staff that is dedicated to building a long term winner.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Being dedicated is only part of the equation, they need to be good too and they look pretty sad this year.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They screwed up by not addressing the offensive line. They should have overpaid for Runyan last year and found a real LG. Even if we had those players we don't have the talent to play with New England now. They had to transition to Kellen at some point. Be happy for the building blocks of the future Mangold, Clemens, Brick, Leon, Brad Smith, Cotchery, Harris, Revis and Rhodes.

17. Br4d

You listed 9 players. Be intellectually honest abut it and put X's through 3 of them. Those are the guys who will get hurt sometime in the next 3 years and never be the same again. Now take 3 of the remaining 6 and gently shade them in a light shade of gray. Those are the 50% of the remainder who will never be more than a decent starter.

For the Jets to have a future that is bright they need to have 9 MORE guys like the 9 you listed. That's why the talent bankruptcy of the last 6 years is so distressing. You don't just cherry pick a few guys and get anywhere in the NFL. You overhaul the whole roster and create talented depth at all levels.

Right now the Jets are looking like they are going to be a last place team for the next three seasons. Of course the Dolphins will mask that for us but it's still a really grim short term future.

18. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

DAMN BR............that's a NEGATIVE take dude.............I say we're on the way UP!

19. Br4d

Ever been to the Dolphins boards?

I watched them for a bit at the end of last season when the Saban hysteria was at it's peak. About a third of the guys posting there were like "doesn't matter if Saban leaves, we're still going to the Super Bowl next season!"

I've long been past the point of seeing the teams I root for as anything but what they are. What's the point of false glorification followed by failure? It really is not a redeeming factor in a sports fan although many will tell you differently.

Then again, I don't believe anything I can't see in front of me. I've managed to keep a lot of money in my pocket that way while others watched theirs float away on the breeze.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I understand your negative view but the good teams in the nfl took a long time to get there and they all made plenty of mistakes to get there. The goal is to build a team over the course of 4 or 5 years through the draft and signing veterans and role players. Ideally once you hit year four you have a chance to compete for a superbowl every year. You will have down years with tons of injuries but you'll have a coach/qb and plenty of depth on the lines and you build on it every offseason. I know it's difficult as a jets fan to be optimistic but I really don't think you gain anything by complaining about everything and expecting the sky to fall.