The Case For Anthony Richardson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Feb 15, 2023.

1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s one thing that fans subscribe to this theory, but you see this kind of nonsense spewed by draft “experts” and GM’s making dumb rash decisions based on the combine workout. It’s exactly how we ended up with Zach Wilson. If you watched actual film of Richardson then nothing at the combine should have surprised anyone. It’s obvious what he’s capable of and the combine literally has no effect on his draft position. However if you watch film and see all that awesomeness that he displayed on film, you also see the mountain of things he needs to work on. He’s not a top 5 prospect. He’s not even top 10. That said, draft this kid to learn behind a real pro like Rodgers for 2 years and you’ll have something special in 2025.

stinkyB and westiedog1 like this.
  2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Finally, something to talk about.

This kid isn't a day 1 pick!!! Or rather, shouldn't be. It drives me full blown bat crazy every time some kid shows up at the combine, blows the socks off everyone, gets drafted and then plays EXACTLY like they did in college. And everyone is BLOWN away as to why he didn't pan out!! :rolleyes:

Have we learned "nothing" from the Brock Purdy's of the world?

In college, this guy was a .500 player. He couldn't generate consistency in college what makes anyone think he can do that in the pro's? This "smacks of" a player needing to go back and play another full year of college ball before he comes out. Of course "the Benjamin's" always win and some team will be stupid enough to pay it. Zach Wilson IS this kid! Only difference is Zach kicked around lesser competition up at BYU to show a few more wins. Had Zach been in the SEC, Big10 et. al. he would have looked just like Richardson.

It's a HARD pass for me. Personally, I want Carr. He's in his prime with at LEAST a 5 year window. With our young talent and an upgraded o-line there's no reason we can't compete for the SB. 2nd choice, the long shot, trade for Lamar. Neither of those 2 then you bring White back maybe pick up a Tannehill and they compete for the starting job.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Richardson is a top 10 pick if not the first pick overall. QBs with that kind of athleticism and upside don’t last in NFL drafts

Plus he’s smart with a great work ethic. Hope he goes to a team willing to develop him.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

I was watching Richardson last night throwing beautiful long balls and thinking about ZW. Maybe they should change that Combine event to where their are 2 receivers going down the field - one on the left, one on the right, one is covered, the other is not. The QB has to make a quick read and throw to the open receiver. If Zac had to do that, he may not have been drafted and not be on our team. His field vision to me is most glaring deficiency. But that is just me.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I hear you on the flaws but I think it’s unfair to pin their record on him. They’ve been in a double rebuild since he’s been there and haven’t had a lot of talent there.

The fact that he just put together the best QB combine of all time should intrigue people but it’s still all about fixing the accuracy.

I hope for the sake of him developing into a great player, a team has the foresight to toss him on the bench in year one and stick with that strategy.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

From now on, when people want me to make a case for Richardson, I'll just show them this highlight package from the Combine.

What an impressive performance from him this weekend. Most likely cemented himself as a top 10 pick.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The kid's got all the physical potential in the world.... but I found myself saying "WTF was THAT?!?!" too many times watching him the past year for the JETS to take him in the 1st rd (unless they land AR and he gets to sit a season or two)

8. mezzavo

Did you just say stick him on the bench for a year? In what world is a top 10 pick going to "ride the pine" for a WHOLE year?

I'm sorry but accuracy is "everything" in the NFL. Hence why I briefly mentioned Purdy in my original post. You don't teach accuracy. You can improve upon it but it's not a teachable skill...not in any kind of timeline that most teams have. If this kid wants to have a long career in the NFL I think it better not take him too long to figure out he's a TE walking. And, short of KNOWING if this kid is a Kelce, you don't draft it in the top 10...or, as I said, 1st round. I'd be willing to bet, as a QB, he doesn't make it through his rookie contract. I do hope I'm wrong because he does seem like a good kid. It's simply happened too many times. Personally, I think he Vernon Gholston'ed it.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Richardson is the kind of guy you take if you have a QB savant in the building, an Andy Reid or somebody like that.

His play in college absolutely does not suggest that he will be a plus NFL QB. His one full season in college was mediocre as a passer and things get tougher at the NFL level not easier.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm really rooting for the kid. It sucks I wish we had Sean Payton running things here then it would be a great selection at 13 to groom him. I do think with the right development he could be special

nathaniel hackett would turn him into EJ Manuel

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maybe the NFL is starting to learn about projecting their most intimate of intimates on unproven young lads barely out of high school?

Naaaahhhhh! There will always be teams mentally masturbating themselves into over-selecting at QB.

12. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

The QB position is about quick information processing and decision making. All of the athleticism in the world won't help someone if they don't have that ability.

mezzavo, Ralebird and stinkyB like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree but unfortunately there isn’t a good way to measure that.

mezzavo and westiedog1 like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Work out warrior. His decisions with the football are sub par. He is not pro ready and would need at least 2 years to develop behind a similar type of player like Lamar or Fields.

abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  16. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I'd take Hendon Hooker on day 2/3 before I'd sniff either Richardson or Levis in the 1st round.

17. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

PASS ALL THE WAY ON RICHARDSON

teamgreen likes this.
  18. mezzavo

I disagree...there IS a way and that's to play!

Say what you want about the XFL or leagues like it. They give these guys a place to PLAY so that they can get experience, hone their skills and learn. Learn without the pressure of multi-million dollar contracts, whole swaths of rabid fans or the stigma of a high draft pick. It really says something that next year's draft, the top 3 QB's, if they came out today would be HIGHER than all of the existing QB's in this draft. That tells me the entire 2023 draft class of QB's could use more playing time. Yeah, the risk of injury is out there but that's what insurance is for. At least you have kids going to a league to find out if they CAN play with higher competition. I shake my head at ANY team talking about drafting this kid (Richardson), having played only one mediocre year, because he can run and jump high in shorts. It blows my mind. Clearly the lessons drafting the Ryan Leaf's, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell and the list goes on and on...hasn't taught many nothing.

I'm a huge supporter of some type of "minor league" for football. I think it would actually SAVE LIVES! How many times have we heard some kid gets drafted, in many cases too high, comes to a city with all the promise in the world along with all the weight that brings. 3...5...10 years later we read how their confidence was shot, out of the league with their bodies' physically destroyed and they turned to crime, domestic violence or suicide. How many of those stories could be cut off at the knees had the player(s) never been put in a position where they were mentally/physically harmed by being put in a situation that they weren't ready for or, worse yet, should have never been in the first place!

If the NFL were truly interested in putting the best product on the field then they would get on board with the full weight of their "machine." Anthony Richardson, Levi, so many in this draft could use more playing time. In Richardson's case, if you can't convince him to stay in school another year or two then you tell him, and others like him, here's this XFL (whatever league), we want you to go play a year or two here and IF you are or can become who we thought you were then here's the big money and we'll "bring you up" to the big league. Just an idea.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

The shelf like of a typical NFL player is just too short for any minor league system to be effective. I agree in wishing there was a way to do it and I honestly think the best answer is to expand practice squad rosters and incorporate them as much as possible into the teams activities.

The only position a minor league system would truly benefit is the quarterback spot. And still - is the minor leagues even that much more of a developmental tool than playing in college?

ColoradoContrails and mezzavo like this.
  20. mezzavo

Actually, you essentially nailed it. Maybe the NFL passes a rule where a kid MUST play 3 years, minimum, in college. Look at Brock Purdy. This Levis kid, at least he's played a while. Maybe that's the answer...who knows. What I do know is too many of these kids come out and they are nowhere NEAR ready. Especially the 1st round QB's.

ColoradoContrails likes this.