Out With the Wonderlic, In With the S2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Since the NFL stopped publishing Wonderlic scores (to protect the dense) we have lost the ability to follow the mental capacity of recruits, now there is a different score being used that seems to tell more about possible success in the NFL but don't expect to see much of this one either. Only players who have scored well would be interested in having their results published. I don't expect to see a ZW score anytime soon.

Was Brock Purdy’s emergence predictable? S2 Cognition test has pointed to NFL success - The Athletic

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This seems like it could be really cool and useful. You have to account for the possibility that since the company isn't being open with the results, they could be lying about how predictive they are. But I would hope they aren't.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't mean a thing if you can't sling that rock...

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It makes sense. Some people thought that Wayne Gretzky was psychic based on his passing ability. I bet he would have scored at the top.

Ralebird likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Throwing them in front of a speeding car without knowing it was gonna happen and seeing if they can dodge it or get hit might be more appropriate than any written test in terms of analyzing processing power.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Ralebird

The big question is "to where?"

8. Ralebird

Guy looks great on the driving range.

dmw, abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

More concerned with "to who"...

10. Ralebird

I couldn't decide if the bigger question was who or where; figured the "where" was all-encompassing.

11. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

It really does make sense that how quickly you can process sensory information and take action based on it, would be perhaps the most important component to success as an NFL QB. This is likely the IT factor that causes guys to be amazing despite having "Meh" measurables. I would hope the front office is taking Zach's score into account when deciding whether to continue to invest in him, or not. If he scored elite it might mean his troubles are only temporary. If he scored relatively poorly it probably means he will never be a top QB.

12. Ralebird

I don't agree the company is not being open with the information - they don't own the information, it belongs to the players. Privacy concerns would allow only the players to release the information. How could the company be more open with the results?

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not saying whether they could or couldn't be more open, but I am saying that given they're not disclosing all the results, they could be lying about how predictive their test is, and there's no way for us to know one way or the other.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Processing Speed is a Sub Test within an overall IQ Test..so this new Test definitely sounds interesting

The more they give it to new players , over and over, that increases reliability of results

In terms of Validity they should try to correlate this exam with processing speed subtest WAIS IQ exam eg digits forward digits backwards (Digit Span) and also Coding (sign symbol notation speed)

#14 NYJetsO12, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The best part about the wonderlic was not so much it's predictability but that prospects could prepare for it. The scores didn't exactly tell you who was smart and dumb but it did tell you who took the time to study for it and who didn't.

Since 90% of NFL football is studying and preparing and only 10% is gameday, it was an important barometer.

---

Not publishing the scores anymore is BS. Especially since they publish everything about the player's physically without issue