Hero Ball!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 2, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes, he went deep, if he just goes to Conklin, it’s probably an easy first down.

I said the same thing, hero ball.

2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Hopefully Zach is in a groove now and was great in the last possession. I hoping he connects the short passes better vs the Dolphins.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

def should have been a screen-type play there

tomdeb likes this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach played well enough to win. The only concerning issue was in fact the lack accuracy on the quick screens. He needs to figure that out.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

its funny, because I see why he made the throw.

But at that point, just a bad choice. In FG range you don’t do that at the end of the half.

It was also a good play, I believe the safety peeled off his guy and saw the ball go underneath, so he jumped the route, and it was man to man. I kinda wonder if someone ran the wrong route there, poor spacing between the WR’s there.

Noam likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Ask the Ravens how, as you say, "trying to get a TD" worked for them today on their final possession when they had the easy FG right in front of them.

I still say it was a stupid call, especially throwing the ball anywhere near Jeff Smith. The point is IT BACKFIRED and totally turned the momentum back toward the steelers. I would have run the clock down, kicked the FG, and gone into half with the momentum leading 13-3 AND receiving the 2nd half kickoff. That foolish play call near cost us the game if Zach hadn't led a great comeback. Glad you liked the call--I didn't. :D

7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. Gotta have game awareness here. Run something safe. Get the 3 points AND the ball coming out of the break

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yep... with the game progressing as it was until that point... you go up 2 scores and go into halftime and adjust.

We basically gave them 6 points when we didn't need to... it wasn't gonna be a high scoring game at any point.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Completely different. The Ravens didn't score a point in the second half of that game and the Bills out gained them 200:130 in the second half. Harbaugh had zero faith in his defense getting a stop. He went for the throat to force the Bills to get 7, nothing wrong with it. It's been his MO for over a year already and FWIW the analytics also said to go for it.
    [​IMG]

Noam likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

damn the analytics, That was absolutely a dumb decision.

cval, tomdeb and stinkyB like this.
  11. dawinner127

What are you talking about? It was an 83% chance to win the game if they got it.

12. bicketybam

I edited my post. I focused on the first column that had only a 2% increaseed chance.

How do you interpret that? I saw it as saying "if you decide to go for it you will win 65% of the time. If you decide to kick a FG you will win 63% of the time. That's the winning percentage based on each decision, regardless of whether it's sucesdfull of not. But I'm really not sure.

Also, the success rate of going for it and scoring seems high to me.

tomdeb and dawinner127 like this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They need to figure out the OL fast. Hard to have backup plans for your backup plans but they can’t rely on Zach to run around like that all season.

They get a league average OL in front of him and he could become scary good..

Cman68 and Noam like this.
  14. dawinner127

The red number is the WP before the ball is snapped. So just lining up like you are going for it already increases your WP by 2%. The 2nd column is the % of each thing happening. The third column is if that decision fails that becomes your WP and then the final column is if you are successful.

Going for 2 from the 2 yard line is almost a 50/50 play so it's probably right on the money with the success rate to go for it.

15. bicketybam

So his decision to go for it gave them a 2% better chance of winning. I guess I didn't need to edit my original post