Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I am not saying he is a bust yet, just that the reputation has taken a major hit and he has to rebuild it. I hope he can, but now there is a real question mark that wasn't really there at least for me last year.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wirfs looks good right now, but to get Penei we would have to give up Zach, which is a non starter for me.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He was absolutely not getting eaten alive. He was beaten bad on one speed rush. He played pretty well other wise. Fant on the other hand was down right awful.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

No

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I totally disagree, Becton was beaten like a drum in roughly 40mins of play. He was ineffective in the run game, Got beat by BOTH the Bull and Speed rush (one for a sack and 4 other pressures) and also a false start.

If that's playing "pretty well" I'm not sure what to tell you bubs

It's not like this is new news either. He's been really struggling

Mekhi Becton was 'confused' about Mike LaFleur's comments on his play (jetsxfactor.com)

6. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

As much as I loved the Jets drafting Becton, I am nervous about his size and conditioning. He's a big boy and those knees are taking a beating holding up that weight under pressure. I hope he's not injury-prone to a point where it will stunt his career. Now out 4-6 weeks is huge. Let's see what Saleh does...ALL GAS NO BRAKE

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Show me on the tape

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Did you watch the game? It was pretty clear he was not playing well. Neither was the rest of the OL but that doesn't absolve Becton since expectations are higher for him than anyone else given where he was drafted.

Do you think it's a coincidence our pass protection looked markedly better right after Becton got hurt?

blackssmagic, Borat and RochesterJet like this.
  9. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Admittedly, I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to the Jets...definitely to a fault. 95% of the time I assume (i.e. rationalize how) the decisions they make will work out until proven that they won't...I liked drafting Geno Smith in the 2nd round...I liked trading up for Sanchez...I liked Blair Thomas, Kyle Brady and even taking a chance on Hackenburg...I liked hiring Rex, Bowles, Mac etc...Oddly, Gase/Idzik fell into the 5%, thought both would be a disaster, but I'm wrong way more than I'm right. Leading me to this uncomfortable point as an admittedly panicked fan, I have a feeling Big Ticket is not going to be our lock down LT for a number of reasons already discussed...His overall size, non-yesterday injuries, yesterday's injury, weight fluctuation, bad pre-season in yr 2 (you can argue that he missed OTAs but then that falls into the injury category) etc...

I'm not going to pretend I follow all of these guys leading up to the draft other than what I can absorb quickly on espn/NFL network etc...Life gets in the way...so I didn't know a ton about Becton other than the basics...But I believe that I remember Wills was our number 1 target, and he went one pick ahead of us and that JD believed Wirfs was a RT not an LT and we wanted a lock down a LT stud w/ our 1st round pick. So we swung for the fences on a guy with huge size/ability over a high floor/lesser important position in a RT, albeit it on a guy w/ questions or else he'd have been a top 3 pick. So I think what we're seeing is the "gamble" failing in front of us and honestly if we had to do it all over again, we'd have taken the lockdown RT/Wirfs and made a play for a LT some other way vs. the opposite plan. Not blaming anyone but am saying I think that's where we're at and probably back in the LT market 1yr from now as much as it pains me to say it.

10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

You can watch again on NFL network or ask Bucky Brooks or Baldy for a breakdown.
    Becton was Hot trash Yesterday before he was put out of his misery in the 3rd qty.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Overall, I thought Mekhi looked the best in pass pro out of all of our OL yesterday and after I watched the game again today. I think AVT and McGovern looked the worst, followed closely by Fant then GVR.

To be clear none of them looked great, so idk how much of an endorsement that is of him.

FJF likes this.
  12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Cartilage damage that only needs 4-6 weeks sounds better than ACL tear. I think there is less strain or stress on the kneecap than ligaments around the knee. Maybe having him sit out 6 weeks and seeing Fant playing admirably at RT will be a wakeup call to Becton as well as the CS that if he doesn't play better he may be moved to the right side.

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I hope he doesn’t spend six weeks rehabilitating in Dunkin Donuts

Acad23 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but it is my understanding that ligament damage is worse short term (for 1-2 years), but cartilage issue could cause his career to be shortened.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Every pass play was posted in the film thread. In fairness I did not watch every run play but he was ok in pass pro.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I watched him on every pass play. Fant was hot trash on both sides. Just watch.

:16 First sack - 53 comes in untouched.- Was that the RB responsibility as he ran rt by or the oline or Zach not sliding the protection?
    :43-Fant just gets straight up beat by 53 again and MC does nothing to help as he runs by the free rusher.
    :58- Becton Great job AVT gets bulldozed by two guys. Why is he blocking two guys?
    1:07- not sure what Becton was doing. He let his guy go to AVT who got burned as Becton watched. :(
    1:21-53 runs by Fant again but Zach makes a great play. Becton Solid
    1:45 - Great job 1:59 Bad play call 2:16 Line did great, Wilson not so much
    2:33 - 43 comes in untouched. Is this on Zach or coaching or line calls? . - This is not getting beat or anything to do with talent.
    2:46 Becton straight up beat as 43 goes untouched. 2:56 AVT get bulldozed straight back into ZW 3;20 Fant Whiffs on 43 Again
    3:46 Again, Blocking assignments man comes in untouched (I think 43 again) 3:59 and 4:12 well done by o-line
    4:23 well done on o-line Zach held the ball to long Becton could of held his block longer
    4:33- Again another Blitz and another blitzer that goes untouched
    4:43- Another blitz but Fant gets beat again before the blitz can get there
    5:03 - Not bad 5:23- Decent job Becton got beat late Zach just missed the throw
    5:34 Van Roten gets destroyed 6:00 - Great job 6:11 Great job 6:16 decent but Van Roten got pushed back
    6:41 Decent Job TD! 7:20- Line gets beat on a stunt 7:34- Great job Zach should have stepped up
    7:48- Another Stunt another untouched rusher.7:54- Good Job 8:06- Blitz picked up nicely
    8:15- Nice Job Zach doesn't see a wide open Kroft up the Seam. 8:20 - Fant could have done better bad throw by Zach
    8:32- AVT gets beat late but Zach makes a bad throw off of his back foot. (Plenty of time)
    8:50- Delayed Blitz Both AVT and MC miss the blitzer Zach makes a great throw.
    9:00- AVT gets Beat Mcgovern saves him Zach is able to step-up and makes a great throw -(Play of the game)
    9:10- Another stunt not sure what Van-Roten,McGovern and AVT were doing but almost gets Zach killed.
    9:21 Decent Job but Van-Roten is getting pushed back.
    9:39- Fant gets beat MC runs right by again (RB have to do better in protection) - Zach makes a great paly TD!

Conclusion the O-line individually on pass pro were not as bad as they looked. Becton was actually decent but Fant was really bad. There were way to many free rushers which is a coaching and communication issue. The o-line had no idea how to pick up a stunt again not a talent issue but a communication issue. The RB's where awful on pass pro we need to find a RB that is willing to block.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I did a breakdown here

https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...-will-get-zach-hurt.96194/page-3#post-4117864

Becton was half responsible for 1 sack with zach being the other half (becton held his block for 3.5-4 seconds and zech never felt the pressure so giving each of them half credit for it.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I did a breakdown here too if you want to compare
    https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...-will-get-zach-hurt.96194/page-3#post-4117864

cval likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The hate on this forum for Becton is astonishing and it’s literally in part to freaking PRACTICE…oh and he’s supposedly “overweight” when he’s actually finished last year at 380, and the staff really has had no issues or leaks about his weight.

So either you fans were upset because he was big anyways and hid your hate for him because he played well…or you hated the pick.

it’s also weird acting like he wants to be big. I mean he hired a chef, he works at his craft really hard. Not sure why he’s getting bashed because he’s struggling right now adapting to a new blocking scheme. It’s sad really that people want to trade him when he really has no bad tape on game day.