Sites and Sound from OTA's (May) What stands out to you?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseWinsChampionships

What are you talking about? Unlike Maye, Lawson DID end up showing up for OTAs in order to be with his teammates and new coaches.

[​IMG]

Nope. No outrage.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In regards to Revis contract one has to look at the history of it. It is complicated and there are 3 seperate parts to it.

1. Part 1
    The Jets drafted Revis and played hardball asking for a 5 year contract when the standard for someone drafted in his spot was 4 years. The Jets were being unreasonable and Revis said no. Eventually The jets did a face saving and signed him to a 6 year contract which in reality according to the beat writers was a 4 year contract with 2 additional years that the Jets would never pick up as the salary was too high. Revis expected to be a FA after 4 years or sign an extension after three years. The problem was Revis was so good the remaining two years of his contract became a bargain for the Jets.
    Part II
    2. Holdout 2010 - Tannenbaum gave in to Revis gave Revis a lot of money on a 4 year deal and publicly said this was a band aid and that he would redo the contract in a year or two.
    3. 2012 Part 3 Revis expected hios contract to be redone and it was not. There was a lot of talk but no holdout. Revis got injured against Miami which eventually led to his trade the next off-season.

There are lot of people at fault here. Revis and Sean Gilbert deserve some blame but Tannebaum and the Jets FO deserves a lot of blame as well. Tannenbaum started the whole thing off wrong by playing hardball in 2007 and asking for unreasonable contract concessions. Revis never forgot that. The fact that a perceived 4 year contract turned into a 6 year deal made things worse. It is possible if Tanny had been reasonable in 2007 that the sides might have had mroe trust but it is also possible the influence of Gilbert would have swayed Revis to play hardball too. Either way it is a shame.

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Thats right, he did show up for a few towards the end. I missed that.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Thank you for sharing this. I thought Revis was the only one playing hardball and wanted a raise every other year. Turns out the FO played a role in the player holding out.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

The most underrated Jets offseason addition is by far Justin Hardee.

[​IMG]

6'1/200 lbs (27 years of age).

He's listed as a CB, but that's not why he's here.

Dude is one of (if not) the best special teams gunner in the game today.

Just how awesome is he as a gunner?

Let's just say that New Orleans allowed less than 50 punt return yards last year. Yes. Less than 50 PR yards allowed (an All-Time NFL record); 46 yards to be exact!

Our Jets? Horrible.

446 punt return yards allowed (only Chargers finished worse).

We just got ourselves a special teams DOG!!

(Joe Douglas has captured my NY heart already).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/11/jets-worked-out-obi-melifonwu/

Jets worked out Obi Melifonwu
    Posted by Charean Williams on June 11, 2021, 4:23 PM EDT

The Jets worked out defensive back Obi Melifonwu this week, Aaron Wilson of Sports Talk 790 reports.

Melifonwu has remained a free agent since the 49ers cut him April 30.

The Raiders made Melifonwu a second-round choice out of Connecticut in 2017. His only five appearances with the team came his rookie season.

He played two games with the Patriots in 2018, his last game action. Melifonwu spent the 2019 season on the Patriots’ practice squad.

Melifonwu, 27, has 10 tackles in his career.

Based on this and a couple of OTA reports, I look for the Jets to add a veteran CB before TC if the secondary doesn't look a lot better in next week's mandatory mini-camp.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I wish we would just splash and sign both Veteran starting CBs in Steven Nelson and Richard Sherman.

CB 1: Steven Nelson.
    CB 2: Richard Sherman.
    Nickel: Bryce Hall.
    Dime: Bless Austin.

Behind this front 7? That's an absolutely awesome CB unit.

Which would create for a serious battle @ CB between the likes of Jason Pinnock/Michael Carter II/Lamar Jackson/Isaiah Dunn for our 5th CB spot (when going Quarters Formation).

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't. That would perhaps be a good move if we were a veteran team that was considered a SB contender. For a mostly young, rebuilding team, I think that would be a big mistake and a counter-productive move. We need to develop our young players so that they will help us get to the point where we are SB contenders, or determine which players aren't going to be able to help us so we can move on from them.

I wouldn't have a problem signing one of them if Austin doesn't appear up to the challenge, but Hall will be just fine. Signing both would be a BIG mistake. It would also keep Carter II/Guidry off the field, which would again be a big mistake. That's very short-sighted and a panic-type move that makes zero sense imo.

Also, it would be better to use some of that money signing Moses and/or a backup QB or using it to re-sign Keelen Cole and/or Jarrad Davis next year if they play well this year.

#268 NCJetsfan, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    patleahy, CotcheryFan, joelip and 3 others like this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Richard Sherman wants to sign with a team ‘competing for a championship’.

“I want to get to a team that’s competing for a championship, so that’s what I’m focused on and waiting for a right opportunity,” Sherman said. “When it comes, that’s where I’ll be.”

That'll likely take the Jets out of the running for Richard Sherman and ends any possibility of a reunion with his former coach, Robert Saleh.

Oh well.

I can picture him signing with the Buffalo Bills (opposite of Tre'Davious White).

#269 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or go back to San Francisco

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well he's looking for a true SB contender and unfortunately for San Francisco they only went 6-10 last year (because of their, Offense).

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Mandatory mini-camp starts (I believe) today.

Awesome to see Jamison Crowder's contract getting restructured and Marcus Maye attending (both were frustrating me during OTAs).

Hopefully every Jets player attends mandatory mini-camp before heading into Training Camp with momentum under coach Saleh.

cval likes this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Maye attending camp but guess who isn't lol.

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Shocker

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is anybody shocked, surprised he isn't wanting out of there already tbh

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

One of JD most brilliant moves. Can we please earmark the players we got in the draft from Seattle and see how they no shit help this teams get better. We will not miss that headache one bit.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

So far JD has flipped him for Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) + 2022's future 1st round pick (hoping for CB/4-3 DE pass rusher/OT or TE).

I guess I was wrong about Jamal Adams. To me he's a great football player and at this pace a future HOF SS however, I was wrong about his character and personality. I always believed it was Adam Gase who drove him crazy (I couldn't blame him). But to not be able to get along and play for Pete Carroll without becoming a locker room distraction? Not cool Jamal, not cool man.

LAJet likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You'll love this thread

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/welcome-to-the-jets-justin-hardee.95410/page-2#post-4058254

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Bearish on Mims and Herndon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.