If we don't get TL, there's always this guy

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Cman68, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I actually laughed out loud. Thank you for that.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He did nothing to impress me in the Coastal Carolina game. Not sure what data you are using beyond a highlight film reel to justify your opinion.

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I like Wilson but I wouldn't take him that high. If we end up at 2, don't like Fields and trade down into the back half of the top 10, I'd feel comfortable pulling the trigger on him there. Especially because if we trade down from 2, we're looking at a pretty sizeable haul. One that could expedite the rebuild and hopefully cover for some of Wilson's flaws as he develops for the first few years.

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

And Plan C for us involves throwing up for days or weeks if we blow Lawrence.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Watch this compilation of the BYU vs. CC game. If you can't see where he was hitting receivers on target, and nearly won the game at the end with a pinpoint pass to a completely covered receiver, IDK what to tell you. It was not a "great" game, but he showed great mobility, and passing - both short, long, and sideline throws. He's more accurate than Lawrence - though it's not like it's night and day - and a better runner. And when you watch him run, he's running with purpose, not just trying to escape pressure - he reads and uses blocks like a RB.

Again, I still go with Lawrence because he's got all the attributes you want, plus he's played against top competition for 3 years, but if we can't him, I'd take Wilson.

6. JetsKickAss

Over Fields ?

It's tough to judge some of these QB's....the ones without any weapons also play lousy opponents....the ones who have the weapons and the OL play great teams.....then to adjust from college to the NFL can be tricky.

Nobody saw Herbert this good after 1 year. Ditto Lamar (though cooling). Sam should be much better. Josh Rosen (bad circumstances) a total wash-out. Allen better than expected.

7. ColoradoContrails

Here's the thing with making a statement like "I wouldn't take him at #2, but I'd take him at #10" - would you risk losing him altogether because you were willing to trade back that far, only to see another team jump on him? Just how much difference is there between a #2 and a #10, and more importantly, how do you accurately measure it, and more importantly, is that difference worth losing the player over it? Keep in mind that Mahomes went at #10, but clearly - at least in hindsight - he was the #1, meaning that these perceived differences are subjective and not really accurate.

Bottom line: if you have a guy rated in the top 10 and he fits a big need, you're being "penny-wise and pound foolish" by splitting hairs over where his "value" is. The truth is that his "value" is what he means to you and your team, and that will be different for every team. If they can't get Lawrence, they shouldn't get cute with thinking they can afford to trade back very many spots if they want Wilson.

8. ColoradoContrails

I choose Wilson over Fields because from what I've seen so far, Wilson reminds me of Mahomes and maybe even R. Wilson in his feel for the game and his moxie. And also, I don't even remember an OSU QB ever succeeding in the pros. I wouldn't be surprised if Fields is the first, because he does look very good, and also he's a transfer, not a "pure" OSU recruit. But I'm impressed with Wilson's accuracy and running ability. I could be wrong - I liked Rosen in 2018 and look how that ended up - but my gut tells me Wilson is going to be good, maybe even better than Lawrence when all is said and done, but Lawrence is definitely the safer pick.

Cman68 and JetsKickAss like this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Dude I actually watched the whole game from beginning to end as a CC fan--you can pick out highlights but he didn't scare anyone that day. You believe what you want--I was there.

And Vilma was watching it with me and we were dialoguing during it. He'll tell you the same thing.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d take him with the 2nd pick of the 2nd rd. He’s the kind of prospect that goes in the 2nd rd to a team hoping to uncover a gem not high in the first rd to a team that’s gonna hand the keys over, like Kellen Clemens.

JetsKickAss and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

JetsKickAss likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Facts here. Wilson could end up being a big time NFL prospect but in his only test this year he was rather average (not bad but certainly not great).

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How does his coach limit him? He is 11 games over .500 with one losing season and 4 bowl games in 5 years. He has one losing season at BYU.

BYU has three NFL offensive lineman and Dax Milne is an NFL receiver. His runningbacks are running for over 6 yards a carry. They're loaded with talent relative to who they play.

This isn't a Josh Allen situation where he played with a backup NFL runningback and tightend and that's it.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He looked worse than Bo Nix looks on an average day imo. I'd be way more afraid of Nix on the BYU team than Wilson although that's the only BYU game I've seen and I've seen Nix a lot.

I'd be more afraid of Hooker from Vtech too. That's just from my limited 1-game sample.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Because Bridgewater is viewed as a short term answer. His contract has an out for 2022, so a drafted QB could take over by then.

ouchy likes this.
  17. JetsKickAss

Would Dallas HAVE THE BALLS to take QB in the Top 5 or thereabouts......as leverage to get Dak to give a bit on his contract demands (assuming the ACL doesn't do that already).....because if Jerry Jones is convinced that Dak won't give 1 bleeping inch and that he can't pay him the Franchise Tag of $50 MM in 2022....then he needs a QB now ?

OTOH....if he takes the QB and Dak signs this year or next for a reasonable amount.....and if the QB (Wilson ?) is decent....then you can trade him (like JJ did with Steve Walsh 30 years ago) and recoup some or all of the value.

Too nutso ? :D

18. JetsKickAss

Any of these non-Trevor, non-Justin QB's: you have to look at how and why Josh Allen and Justin Herbert have done so well with all the doubts about them coming from Mountain and West Coast areas.

ColoradoContrails and IDFjet like this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying and it's a good point.
    Regarding Herbert, his own coach didn't even know what he had until he was forced to play him with Tyrod injured--and even then he poo-pooed him for a couple games. Some guys just turn magical in the NFL. JJ Watt comes to mind--he was great but no-one predicted his awesomeness.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How big a haul would pick 2 bring us?