Full 2021 Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He had an unspectacular pass rushing game. But he had the game clinching 94 yard interception return for a TD in overtime. Which is bizarre in CFB given the format.

He's an incredible athlete. And it's tough to really judge him as an edge rusher because they drop him a lot into coverage from the edge and he plays a big of ILB.

Watching Rondale Moore tonight and the kid needs to stop high stepping. Encouraged by his athleticism not encouraged by the strength of his hands. Just had the chance to secure a big TD before half and he bobbled it. He's also fumbled twice already. I went in with an open mind and he really is just Tavon Austin. David Bell their other receiver is the real prize.

#141 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The fact that he's not complete and still needs to develop his game makes me think he'll be there at the Jets 2nd pick with a little luck. Yes, ideally it would be great if the Jets could draft a finished, "can't miss" pass rusher, but those guys are usually gone by the 3rd or 4th pick, and if the Jets used their first pick on a pass rusher over Lawrence or Fields that would finish me right there. I'm ok with them taking a guy with a great motor and athleticism who has given some proof of being able to be successful, which Zaven Collins has done. Of course there's a lot of time between now and the draft and other possibilities may appear.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't read the 8 pages but do we take a serious look at this Running back in Alabama? Najee Harris.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We should. We need a starting RB. The best 5 candidates for that are Travis Etienne, Najee Harris, Javonte Williams, Kenneth Gainwell, and Chuba Hubbard.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Can't agree with you more. Gase was an awful hire. Huge mistake but we got Douglas out of it. Huge positive. Like you said hopefully they hand the keys to Douglas and don't look back. It's one draft but through 10 games it looks good. Hopefully with some money this offseason another draft and his own coach hire we can turn this around and finally have the right guy.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So what makes u think JD is the the next coming? :mad:

Ralebird likes this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Never said the next coming. Definitely has made mistakes. Robby comes to mind but look at the positives:

1. Adams trade: two first round picks for a safety. We don't have to pay $20 million for him.
    2. Becton, Mims, and Davis through ten games look like contributors for awhile. Those three make it the best draft in 15-20 years. Probably starters. Add in Mann. Four very good draft picks.
    3. Hall looks like he can contribute. We'll see. Time will tell on Zuniga and Clark. Not a fan of the Morgan pick we'll see. So in 2020 draft picks 50% look like contributors for awhile. A positive.
    4. Free agency: Didn't do great this year. Lets see what happens this offseason with some money.

Definitely time will tell but so far the returns look good. He's definitely made mistakes but I see more positives. I see a guy who knows how to build and after a year and a half he's done more good for the organization than the last two gms. Time will tell but at least I feel we have a component gm with promise. We're 0-10 we have to find some positive signs.

I'm not saying I'm right but what have you seen to say he's not the guy?

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

When I see him I start coming so I’m thinking he’ll probably be the next coming as well

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@MaximusD163 tough not to root for Ossai whether I want him on my squad or not. The kids effort is ridiculous and his motor is super high. For that reason I believe he has to have a high floor.

10. MaximusD163

I tend to think with Joe Douglas on board the Jets are unlikely to make a major scheme change defensively, after his time in Baltimore. For that reason I think Ossai is the perfect fit for the OLB/Edge role on the Weakside.
    I also wonder at this point if he goes too high for the Jets second 1st round pick... His traits and effort will be coveted by other teams, but I would love to pick him up late in the first.

While I was against the Jets spending too big in FA, a closer inspection shows that they will need to spend some this year to be at the 90% minimum come 2022, so they could spend on a FA Edge and pair him with Ossai. They may like Judon with the Baltimore connection, but Dupree has more upside.

Aside from that, Thuney is my other high priced FA target.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I didn't read all 8 pages but I will say that was a great rundown on the current numbers Max. Well done.

There is one big issue and I think its a mistake many are making here. If we draft TL we damn well better do him and us a solid and use the other #1 on a linemen - preferable the best center we can get. The next pick should also be a lineman (guard ideally). That is how we help a young QB and if we are going to take the golden goose we better buy the insurance policy as well.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

I think a major upgrade at guard is the way to go, and Thuney seems accessible. You would reset the guard market, but not by a lot and the Jets are in a position where they don’t have a ton of homegrown guys to extend. I think you can go into 2021 with Becton, Thuney, McGovern, and Fant as starters, and then draft another lineman in the 3rd or 4rth round. Have the rookie, Clark, and Van Roten compete for the RG spot.

You really don’t need to go 1st round to get high quality guards, and I’d wait 1 more offseason to look at Center.

While I understand the lack of investment at OL in the pre-Douglas era, you don’t need to spend two 1sts and a 2nd on OL in the space of two years, it’s overcompensating.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Spot on. It's sad that some Jets fans don't learn from history and don't understand the cap. We had too many former 1st round OL on our OL in 2009-2010. It was a great OL, but it took up so much cap space, we couldn't afford topnotch skill position players. The only reason we were able to do as well as we did was because we had a rookie QB. If we used all the high draft picks on OL that Ouchy would want us to use, in 4-5 years, we'd have to let some of them walk or players at other positions. Becton is going to need to be paid in 4 years, as will Mims, if we get Lawrence, he will need to be paid in 5. By that time, we could have some other very good players who needed to get paid as well as any FAs we may have signed.

Lawrence will need playmakers as much as he will need a solid OL, and if we have an offense similar to what NE used for Brady and the ball comes out quickly on passing plays, the OL will be less important.

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Dupree has been mentioned a lot as a FA.......torn ACL last night :(

15. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I saw that. That will probably cost him a lot of money in FA, and he may just wind up re-signing with the Steelers.

16. MaximusD163

The timing for him is not great, it could be worse though. He’ll have 3 full months of rehab by the time Free Agency kicks off, but it still may scare teams off from a big time investment.

If the Jets don’t want to take that risk, there is still Matt Judon, Yannick Ngakoue, Shaq Barrett, Ryan Kerrigan, or Leonard Floyd as somewhat proven guys who have played hybrid edge roles. Unfortunately, I really liked Dupree more than any of these guys as the most complete edge player.

Melvin Ingram, Aldon Smith, and Justin Houston have all done it before but have been base ends for a while now, and all are on the wrong side of 30. You could look to one of these guys for a more reasonable contract and some veteran leadership (Ingram or Houston in this case). Ingram is a guy I’m interested in for veteran savvy and locker room leadership. Still a good player if not elite at this point in his career.

It is possible that Dupree still becomes a Jet, considering 2021 is still going to be a building year. If the Jets take a calculated risk with the hope that he is 100% recovered by 2022, it may be a worthwhile investment.

17. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Just a thought:
    I like what the Packers did two years ago and signed the Smith tag team as pass rushers. Feasibly we have the ability to do just that. I love Kerrigan, guy always gives it his all, and Judon/Barrett would be perfect

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

it would be. Now all we need is to bring him in during FA and for JD to bake him some cupcakes It worked the last time. Oh - wait a minute.......lol.

19. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Never sign steeler free agents, there is a reason why they are such a good team

chandler likes this.
  20. york61

york61 Well-Known Member