Rex Ryan: I would take Daniel Jones over Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Sep 23, 2019.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/09/23/rex-ryan-i-would-take-daniel-jones-over-sam-darnold/

The former Jets coach called Jones “the best quarterback in New York” the morning after Jones turned in an impressive starting debut and led the Giants to a 32-31 comeback win over the Buccaneers, meaning he would take him over Sam Darnold.

“The reason I’m saying it is because I think his fundamentals are much better,” Ryan said Monday on ESPN’s “Get Up.” “I love Sam Darnold, don’t get me wrong. I still think he’s going to be a tremendous player. But I think this guy right here [Jones] has got competitive greatness in him. I think he’s going to be a superstar.”

2. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Did he say the same thing about Sanchize?

Vida, FlaJet, Leicester Jet and 10 others like this.
  3. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I think Sam comes off as fairly competitive...

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Silly fat C*nt

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'll take it as a compliment. He's one of the worst QB talent evaluators around.

Mark Lattimer, Vida, FlaJet and 4 others like this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But is he tattoo worthy?

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Kissing NY Giants behind now I see. He could have his eye on the job if he thinks Shurmer is on the hot seat.

Fraud.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of confidence in Rex as a talent evaluater, but Jones had a great first game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is a damning indictment of Jones. I love Rex. I think he's a great coach and knows a ton about football. But the one thing he is terrible at is evaluating quarterbacks.

FlaJet, kevda5n9ne and rohirrim665 like this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Rex is right about Sam’s fundamentals but he’s making too big a deal about it. Sanchez had great fundamentals; so in the end what does that really mean? I do think Sam’s fundamentals will hold him back from being the best player he can be if he doesn’t clean them up.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You know who else had their "fundamentals" criticized? Patrick Mahomes. 'Nuff said.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. legler82

Hmm...Pat has RARE arm talent that makes his fundamentals almost moot. Sam ain’t working with that. That off the back foot shit for no reason ain’t going to fly.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about the fact he said I love Sam and he's going to be tremendous. I'd be more encouraged if he thought he was going to be shite.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. All I'm saying is that fundamentals can be overrated. Elway didn't have great fundamentals either. Granted, another rare arm talent, but still. In Sam's case, yes, fundamentals are more important, but he still makes things happen anyway. I guess what I'm saying is that give me a guy who knows how to use his body to succeed, even if it isn't "by the book".

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I love Rex, but this is just a typical media proclamation to generate buzz.
    There is no substance to it.

Jones has played one game.
    And if the Kicker makes his PATs or chip shot FG, the headline would be more like "Jones gets finished off by Gay"!

FJF and Since1969 like this.
  16. Its all about him throwing w a good base underneath him. Doesnt have to be perfect but at least w both feet in sync. When hes granted a clean pocket for at least 1.5 seconds hes much more consistent w his mechanics bc hes able to release from center w proper base & carry it through the release of the ball both from pocket & off schedule.

It is essential for him to have an OL that at least can anchor against initial surges on the interior to allow him to get his feet right.That isnt happening from the OL right now. Sam will not have success w.o this.

papapump likes this.
  17. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

What ever this loud mouth poor excuse of a HC has to say, doesn't interest me at all. The only success he had with the jets was thanks to the previous regime roster. After his second year the team he helped build were lousy. I remember him saying that after seeing Sanchez in a private workout, he told Tanny to go and draft this kid.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

And we all know what a QB guru old twinkle toes Rex is... almost as good as Gase is turning out to be, actually.

19. legler82

I’m not going to blame the o-line for Sam’s bad mechanics. He had it at SC and still now. He’s a gifted thrower off platform; he just needs to understand that’s it’s a skill to use only when needed.

Mr mittens and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rex is bad at evaluating QBs, so I don't care what he thinks. But it's possible Jones is the better QB. He's more athletic than he appeared in college, and he has better technique than Darnold. On the other hand, Darnold has a special level of coordination that only a rare few have, but we'll see if he can actually take advantage of it.