The state of the Franchise, and my fandom...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rohirrim665, Sep 11, 2019.

1. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This may be too long too read and self indulgent, but maybe someone can appreciate or relate to it. Every once in a while I need to make a post like this. This past Sunday really fucked me up. It fucked me up big time, and maybe in a good way, because when the Jets are good and rolling I am a total nutcase bordering on manic. I become obsessive and all my spare time is spent researching the Jets and every thing they do. That what the last 6 weeks was for me, absolutely obsessing over this team. I have been totally amped all summer long and ready for football, for many reasons. Some of it is nostalgia, football season is a ritual and kicks off my favorite time of the year (September and October) and just has a ton of sentimental value, as I’m sure it does for most of us. Rituals are important in my life and football is one of those rituals.

With that being said, I was extremely optimistic over the Gase hiring. I’ve already put all my chips in on Darnold being THE guy (and I still do). l too was frustrated by the timing of the Mac firing, but relieved they made the right move albeit 5 months too late, and loved the Douglas hiring. I knew we had holes coming into the season but I was hoping against hope that those holes were not as big as perceived, and that for once we might be that surprise franchise and have a couple miracles go our way. I went into this season expecting 10-6 with a playoff run and I let all my friends know about it.

I idealize myself to be a very balanced person, I work hard at my career, I meditate everyday, and generally tend to think I am not your "typical football fan." In fact, I am arrogant enough to think I am definitely smarter than the average football fan (and usually when I go to football games I am proven right). Yet somehow, someway, I get sucked into the mania. I become obsessed and put all my emotional chips in on this team. Time and time again they remind me how ridiculous that is and they bitch slap me, like they did the other day. Not only did this team lose, but they found a historically new way to CHOKE away an easily winnable game. SOJ. So there I am, after an off season of hope and optimism, sitting in the parking lot of Metlife stadium watching Bills fans run around like they just won the super bowl. I feel utterly dumb, and feel as if the season is already over.

Thank you for that lesson, for the umpteenth time. I am reminded to focus on my personal life and career (wow what a concept) and that football should be a fun thing on the side for entertainment, not a central obsession. Thank you for that (painfully obvious) lesson, because the Jets give it to me time and time again and how quickly do I forget. I am reminded I need to find a new way of watching football, that is healthier for me, so I am not giving myself a fucking heart attack every time I sit down to watch a game. It’s just a game…..

I find it hard to even watch other football when the Jets suffer crushing defeats. This Sunday I told myself, man up and watch football the rest of the day. It’s what I planned on doing, so turning off football for the rest of the day would have been cowardly. I am reminded to enjoy the game for what it is, not just for the reward of seeing my team win. So then I got to watch the Pats just completely dismantle the Steelers, and it feels like yet another season destined for Brady and Co. while the Jets wallow in mediocrity (at best).

Instead of looking for ways to jump back into the mania, I need to retain some of what I have learned here. So when the Jets finally do become a competitive team, I can still maintain some balance and remind myself never to get too sucked in, even when we are good. When that happens you end up like Eagles fans eating horse shit because your team finally won. When we win I want to feel good about it, not like I just got released from prison or like some rabid dog.

Bowles/Mac and company really drained the joy out of my football life the last 4 years. That was an AWFUL stretch and I think that is what got me so amped for this season, just the mere fact that they are gone. I am so sick of being a joke team. But then this sunday raised so many doubts for me, do we have the right QB? Do we have the right HC? Do we have the right DC? Part of me now could see us going 1-15 this year.

The answer is : I don’t know, but now is not the time to panic. I believed in this team all offseason, maybe I have to adjust my expectations a bit, but week 2 is no time to throw in the towel. So now with my renewed sense of balance and stability in my approach to watching football , I am looking forward to week 2 MNF against the Browns, but with less of the fury and madness and more of the curious, pure, and slightly detached (in a good way) passion that a true lover of the game would have. I took off of work so I could tailgate because I was so excited about this game, and I won’t let that change because of Week 1, this will be an excellent football game.

Ultimately it is a good thing, the Jets are teaching me how to appreciate football from a balanced perspective. It may seem like a joke but they have taught me life lessons that can only come from heartbreak and defeat. As a season ticket holder, spending time with my Father at the games is the most important part, but goddamn it we wouldn’t mind winning or god forbid hosting a home playoff game, which we have never had in our 13th year as season ticket holders. We have family down in Philadelphia so we are going to see that game this year at the Linc (wish me luck) and we are making a tradition to go to Fedex Field every time the Jets play in D.C. so we are doing that this year for the first time since 2011. I hope the Jets can at least be competitive this year and not make me feel stupid for buying these tickets, but I will be without expectations, just like meditation teaches , and will simply enjoy every moment for what it is. I have been searching for the zen of football my whole life and maybe now I have finally found it.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This spring I made a garden on my two back terraces.
    Italian tile walk, Japanese Maple trees.
    Cost me some coin, but it came up beautifully.

Now my dogs have a nice place to shit... :confused:

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Perspective (not that I'm not equally guilty).

[​IMG]

rohirrim665 and Brook! like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

good fucking lord this board is officially unbearable.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Go away. What is wrong with you?

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Awesome post. And I understand you 100%. Enjoy the games with your father

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I didn't quite get through this entire post but I will say one thing, other than the overreaction to one loss on this board is fuckin insane:

We will never be a team competing for a Championship unless we start drafting stars. I was a defender of Mac but it is readily apparent that his draft picks have been pretty awful outside of a handful of top picks.

Hiring Joe Douglas might be the best thing this franchise did in a long long time. If he can start hitting on draft picks, I can guarantee you we will be a 10+ win team with Sam Darnold and Le'veon Bell. Add a true #1 WR and pro bowl offensive lineman and this team can be dangerous.

Until then, we will continue wavering between winning and losing and believe me, there will be more heartaches this season, that's a guarantee.

I like the Gase hire and I think his offensive mind can bode extremely well for Darnold and this offense. We just need to add those pieces in the draft.

NYJetsO12 and rohirrim665 like this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since you posted this pathetic cry for help...

Most manic/depressives view the manic stage as normal. The high is so enjoyable we don't view it as a problem, we seek it. Sadly it's tied at the hip to that feeling sitting in the parking lot of Metlife stadium.

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference."

Granted after a 5th of vodka it's complete BS but when you're sitting in the parking lot at Met Life in full depression, searching for a roach clip under the seat to take the edge off, while placing a call to your bookie to get the spread on the late game, I encourage you to consider those words, it might help?

MaximusD163 likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

For the most part I have, and it’s because he’s right. You continue to let the over reactionary whiny types run the flow of traffic and call out those who point out how moronic their latest takes are when they act like whiny children.

There is little civilized discussion around here any more. It’s simply over reactions and hit takes on every topic, from a post game press conference to trading a sixth rounder two years out for a warm body.

He’s not wrong. I stoped by today to see how much had changed since the spring madness .. and it’s very little

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You want some zen perspective.... a team that was in last place last season just lost to a team that was in next to last place

egelband and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Good post. If you're as balanced as you say you are, then you know that it's ok to act extreme for something as artificial as rooting for a team. I'm there with you.

That said, take solace in
    1) having a GM who came in and identified Macagnan's sins and acted to address problems Macagnan wasn't even aware of. (OL and CB)
    2) having a young franchise QB
    3) the Bills strength played to our weakness (their defense against our front 5)
    4) we would have won if Macagnan and Idzik hadn't screwed up the past 8 drafts. Think about that and let that settle in.
    5) we would have won if Avery Williamson wasn't injured. Mosely's departure cost us the game. Had Avery been out there, we win.

My only fear is Douglas is Gase's guy, and he wouldn't fire Gase, if Gase turns out to be the real issue.

All that said, I've gone from thinking the Patriots are our competition for the division, to thinking that Miami is our competition for the #1 pick.

While it's just a game, we have good foundational pieces. And a good GM. Best we've been in almost a decade.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

what's this thread about?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I’ve been a Jet fan for 55 years. I know where you’re coming from. When I was younger I lived and metaphorically died with this team. I still feel pangs when I think of the Denver championship game. Every preseason was filled with optimism and by the third game it usually was gone. I watched my friends, Dallas and Giant and Oakland fans, celebrate their teams and championships. As I got older, I finally accepted that the NFL organization I root for is inept and probably always will be. I’m sure they won’t win another championship in my lifetime. But I still watch the games, still root for they, still hope against hope. That’s what being a fan is. But in the end, they’re just a diversion from the everyday grind. Many things in life work out; some things don’t. The Jets are one of those things in life that are just never going to work out. Luckily, they’re minor in the overall scheme of things.

Here’s a story that may give you some hope: about 15 years ago I became interested in English soccer. Having to pick a team I chose Manchester City. I picked them because actually they were similar to the Jets: second team in their city, hadn’t won a championship in forever, broke their fans hearts over and over (I guess I’m a fucking masochist). About 8 years ago, new ownership came in, and completely changed the culture of the organization. I’ve now gotten to celebrate 4 Premier League championships. So there’s hope.

Hang in. Enjoy the good stuff, rail at the bad stuff. And just remember: it’s the Jets!

P.S. ignore the assholes bad mouthing you. The current fantasy football playing 5 year “fans” have no idea what it is to be emotionally invested in a team over a period of time. Pay them no heed.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

tampons

jonnyd, Jets81, Ralebird and 6 others like this.
  15. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Holyshit Dierking! Thank you for the laugh!

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The fact that Douglas got a 6 year contract tells me that he probably has more job security than Gase.

NYJetsO12 and rohirrim665 like this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I need to show my wife this board when she thinks I'm overreacting by taking to the television during painful jet moments.

18. Im not here to say football should be a central figure of joy..surely there are more important things & priorities..

But it damn well is a source of life for front running Patriot fans for all these years..always there to rub it in our faces & add insult to injury.

Jet fans are as dedicated as they come w a unique set of circumstances that make rooting for our team a unique flavor all its own.By my estimation weve been dealt a grave injustice by incompetent ownership for far too long. Braylon edwards said it best..johnsons have one of the strongest fan bases in sports & they are clueless to reward them w wins.

Its become pure misery & a never ending nightmare watching this team & this league offer the same “worst case scenario” year after year.

This sport is embedded in our culture,should we really be minimizing our escape from everyday life? Thats not rhetorical.. honestly wondering. Jet fans deserve better.Better than this thats for sure.What that means or doesnt i dont know anymore.

19. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

It is miserable to see the same shit year in and year out. To either see a team that we thought was a playoff contender sputter out midseason and miss the playoffs, or even make to the AFC Championship, lose, and not be able to repeat or improve the next year.

But look at the Patriots. They were an absolute joke for most of their existence. They got into the Super Bowl almost by accident in the mid-80s, but other than that, they were forgettable. Hell, in the early 90s, they almost moved to St. Louis! Before Parcells, they were one of the NFL's graveyards.

Also, look at the Packers. They were irrelevant ever since Lombardi left. It wasn't until they picked up Favre that their glory days returned.

egelband and rohirrim665 like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Over reactions, under reactions, doom and gloom dark siders, over hyped sunny siders, high hopes, crushed expectations, etc. Its all just part of a fan community. Sometimes we want everyone to think (and feel) like we do. Or least relate to some frustration. We are diverse and come in all types. But we are all for the same team - same outcomes.

To the topic, our ownership is a constant source of hopelessness for me. Our ownership doesn't honestly care about winning. Owning the Jets is their own recreational toy, and little else. It was amazing we had as much talent as we did in 2010 under them. I doubt we ever see days that bright again under the Johnson family...but I have hope.

JeTsInTexas, Wahoo and rohirrim665 like this.