Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You said you didn't want to know so therefore I shall tell you! Evil doppelgangers with some good scares, good acting, fright galore, and a lot of black humor. Let me know when you see it and we'll compare notes! Even though I just ruined it for you! ; )

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just got back from Us. Really interesting film. Definitely not what I expected!

3. jetophile

Gonna go see it Sunday.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Freaks me out--can't even watch the commercials.

5. jetophile

Saw 'Us' Sunday (matinee). It delivered and then some. A+. The only mildly irksome thing is that Elisabeth Moss is in it.
    She's an excellent actress but I can't help thinking that she's an idiot Scientologist every time I see her in anything. I can't believe how blind she is to the real life parallel of 'The Handmaid's Tale' that she stars in for instance. Anyway, it's no fault of the movie, and it doesn't detract whatsoever. I just heard myself muttering "Idiot!" a couple of times is all.

Anyway, I highly recommend 'Us'. It's very thought provoking, and like 'Get Out', it's not a one-layered horror flick. Jordan Peele has arrived. Can't wait to see what he does next.

EDIT: 'The Twilight Zone' (series). I momentarily forgot about that. Debuting April 1st on CBS. Not an April Fool's joke.

#245 jetophile, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. jetophile

Oops, double post. Sorry.

#246 jetophile, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  7. jetophile

'Habit',' written, directed, and starring Larry Fessenden. Great little low-budget horror gem. I'm a big Fessenden fan partly because he's a native son (NYC), marches to the beat of his own drummer, has had an independent film studio since 1985 (Glass Eye Pix), and makes quirky movies. Fck Hollywood.

'Habit' was filmed in the East Village. It's dark, depressing, colorful, isolating, purposeful, lonely, and has some scares. Well, maybe scares is the wrong word, more of a creepy pall. Highly recommend, but just forewarning you that it's not fast moving or "commercial" in any way.

#247 jetophile, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  8. jetophile

#248 jetophile, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  9. The Dark Knight

Glad you liked Us! I really enjoyed it besides a few logic issues that bugged me. Lupita Nyongo was amazing. It is the kind of movie that gets better the more you think about it too. I wasn't scared or jumped out of my seat at all, but that one moment with Elisabeth Moss was creepy. Most of the movie I was thinking "What is going on? What is happening? Is the entire audience confused or just me? Did I miss something?" :D

10. jetophile

'The Dead Don't Die', horror comedy/Jim Jarmusch/Bill Murray being released sometime in June 2019. No surprise that Iggy Pop is in it considering 'Gmme Danger'. I don't think it has any relation whatsoever to Robert Bloch's story (I love Robert Bloch) and the laughable TV movie (1975) that he laughed about.

All star cast.

11. jetophile

OK, so my two choices for this weekend was a toss up between the sure to be flowery Elton John bio-pic of EJs meteoric rise (but probably not his creative and artistic fall after Bernie Taupin stopped banging him in the ass) and the horror flick 'Ma'. 'Ma' it is. Oh, and I like Octavia Spencer on top of it, so not a tough choice at all. I also love the fact that the 'token black person' - who ALWAYS formulaicly and maddeningly gets killed early in horror movies is actually the STAR AND DOES ALL THE KILLING. What a concept. We horror flick aficionados know our tropes! It's about freakin' time, and count me in. I'm expecting some great inside jokes and a lot black humor. Double entendre pun intended.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

With the added bonus of no special effects required for him lol

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

YES

14. jetophile

That's for sure. I have no idea what 'Gmme Danger' means. Gibberish for 'Gimme' - I think. Damn typos. I highly recommend 'Gimme Danger', by the way. I loved it but I admit it's colored by my affection/nostalgia for the subject matter.

Back to the thread topic, flicking around in boredom the other night my friend, Gianni and I landed on 'Psycho Granny'. I didn't realize at first it was Lifetime and one of their schlockfests because we just went with the title. It was terrible, but not bad enough to be good. We shrieked through it, anyway.

All of Lifetime's idiot movies are about stalking husbands, unhinged girlfriends, stupid murderers who you guess is the killer 10 minutes in. The writing is pathetic and the acting is worse. I have to take my hat off to Perry King, though. Old 'horror' movies, but fckn hilarious: 'A Cry in the Night': an artist (King) has an unhealthy attachment to his dead mother and runs around screaming, "Mommy!" in a little red riding hood get up - only it's green - and murders people. 'The Killing Hour': a serial killer rampages through Manhattan and a skeezy talk show host (King) takes advantage of an artist who is clairvoyant and can predict the murders, which he uses to boost ratings. Hambone slasher flick that basically sucks, but see it for King. He's awful. 'The Perfect Wife'. She's not perfect, she's a murdering psycho. Considered horror, but it's campy as fck. It has to be seen to be believed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're welcome.

K'OB likes this.
  15. jetophile

'Crawl'. A little formulaic, but good gory fun. Anything that has Sam Raimi's stamp on it somewhere I'm game.

I wanted to see 'Luz', a German horror flick, but it's not playing in the cultural armpit of the United States: here. I'll probably have to go to NYC to see it. I'm there all the time, anyway.

K'OB likes this.
  16. jetophile

'Ready or Not' - here I come!

'Twas oh so much fun!

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Going to see IT2 at the weekend of release, don't think it is anywhere near the TV double parter but it needs to be viewed :)

18. The Dark Knight

People keep telling me about this. I'll go see it. Really good word of mouth.

19. jetophile

Tonight on ScyFy . . .

For anyone who grew up in the twisted 70s . . . I'm in my glory! It's on at 9:00 p.m. Yes, you heard and read it right, The Banana Splits HORROR movie. Hahaha.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  20. jetophile

A24 strikes again. I AM ALL OVER THIS!!!!!!!!!