Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^Hahahaha, that's great. And his trailer home looks like Ren & Stimpy's. ; ) Bruce Campbell is the best. Oh, and that was the fakest orgasm I've ever seen. Even I couldn't pull that one off. So, thanks for this! Must. Watch. All. Three. Seasons. Will. Watch. For. Nothing. 'Ash vs. The Evil Dead'. I'm on it.

Especially love the kill where the band Death's song 'Freaking out is playing in the background. YESSSSSS.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't know, sometimes you can never go home again Jeto. After all this time, Ash is a little too hard to separate from Sam Axe.

3. jetophile

Or Sam Goody.

4. jetophile

'Horrors of the Black Museum'. I love Michael Gough so much. He's the English version of Vincent Price, schlock master supreme. This movie freaked me out when I was a kid. The binoculars scene, you know what I'm talking about. I've told this story before, but my Daddy used put his binoculars around his neck and put two Pabst Blue Ribbons in the binoculars case and make me sneak them into Shea (and later in The Old Dump). This started in 1970 and lasted until 1994 when he was too sick to continue attending games. We never got caught. So yeah, the binoculars scene, I was probably 7 when I saw that movie and after Daddy make me sneak in his booty yet again, he asked me if I wanted to use the binoculars to check out the Jets sideline. No thanks, lol.

5. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Just watched Nightmare City for the first time yesterday. Someone said it was a decent 80’s Italian Zombie flick. It was a very bad (in a charming way) “radiation mutants” film. My wife walked in towards the end and actually said “why the hell do you watch this GARBAGE!” 5 minutes later she was laughing her ass off so I think She May finally “get” my love of crappy horror!

Followed it up with Night of the Demons just for the lipstick scene. 80’s horror is still my favorite....

Going to try and catch Suspiria tonight after I watch the Jets loose to the bears this afternoon....

6. jetophile

'Night of the Demons', hahaha, good one. I mean, bad one. I was gonna post that the other day. : )

[​IMG]

Definitely checking out the 'Suspiria' re-make (talked about Argento quite a bit some pages back).. Mixed reviews but generally good. Of all of the reviews I've read, the common denominator is don't expect a 're-make', because it essentially isn't except for the bare bones of the story.

seanofthedead likes this.
  7. jetophile

'The House That Dripped Blood'. I love that movie. There used to be a great gif out there of Sir Christopher Lee shaking that doll and giving it a talking to, it was the best. It no longer exists.

[​IMG]

But . . . I still have my old avatar! I have so many great ones, but I can't use most of them because they're in the old rectangular format and none of them fit. So, I'm more or less limited to whatever square ones I still have.

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix.

Started out slow but picked up by episode 2. Up to episode 5 and am enjoying it.

More psychological thriller than horror but there is some very scary creepy stuff.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. jetophile

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I finally watched Hereditary tonight. Doubt I will be sleeping. I was hoping you had posted about it and you did. I thought you would like it. It was a tough watch for me. Uneasy feeling the whole time and then the not-so-happy ending. It was really well made though and Toni Collette really gave a great performance. The little girl was great too. Hopefully I can fall asleep by February as that film may have messed me up. :)

11. jetophile

I'm glad you liked it. People are divided between whether it's great or if it's stupid and sucks. I attribute that to things not blowing up and shit.

Seeing your Mom saw her head off with a piano wire and as a viewer hear her head plunk on the floor, it kinda takes the cake.

EDIT: The not so happy ending, haha.

#211 jetophile, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  12. jetophile

'I Sell the Dead', really funny dark humor/horror comedy. It's a gem. It's a mix of the grave-robbing epidemic in England in the 1850s and zombies.

An excerpt:

Faux machine likes this.
  13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Has this one come up yet?

14. jetophile

A couple of posts in.

EDIT: I take it back. It's in the very first post of the thread.

#214 jetophile, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Watched the last half of The Re-Animator this weekend.

It’s like they just didn’t give a fuck and threw every possible gory thing into the film.

Lolworthy would recommend to gore-fest fans.

16. jetophile

I saw the re-make of 'It' a few nights ago. First of all, the TV series was eh, OK (with the exception of Tim Curry), but when it turned out it was a giant spider, I wasted my time on this?! So the movie, I laughed through a bunch of it. Unintentionally campy, didn't scare me or creep me out at all, and I thought it was a huge pile of shit. The clown, I would've just left hooked him. It was so stupid. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched it because I was really tired, but yeah, I laughed. I laughed a lot.

They tried to turn into a sort of 'Stand By Me' kind of thing, but it just wasn't working. Maybe I'll watch it again at some point and see if I laugh less. Or feel more empathetic or something.

17. The Dark Knight

Just finished it this week. Honestly one of the best shows I have ever watched. Definitely one of the best within the last few years. The detail in it is amazing. It has more heart than horror, yet some moments truly horrified me. It gets it's shocks and scares in more ways than you would think. The cast was absolutely fantastic too. Someone asked me to explain what it was about, and I said I really can't. You need to experience it for yourself.

18. The Dark Knight

After watching The Haunting of Hill House (which again is the best show I have seen in recent years) I looked up director Mike Flanagan's other works and have been watching them. He really is an amazing horror director. I am surprised he is not mentioned in this thread. Can't wait for his sequel to The Shining: Doctor Sleep and of course the follow up to Hill House: The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Oculus:

It was a pretty good movie. One of Karen Gillan's (Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy) first major roles. She did a good job.

Hush:

Hush was a really good thriller. It goes by really fast.

Before I Wake:

I really liked this movie. It has a few plot mistakes that I found odd, but it is really close to being a great film. It was the scariest of the Mike Flanagan films I watched. I love the ending.

Ouija: Origin of Evil:

Much better than the horrible original film. I was surprised how good it was.

Gerald's Game:

Probably my least favorite of the five. It was written by Stephen King. It is still pretty good though and entertaining. Similar to Hush, it mostly takes place in one spot and features a small amount of characters.

19. jetophile

@The Dark Knight Knight I didn't catch the Netflix series because I don't have Netflix but I'll find a way. It's got some great reviews. As far as I can tell it departs from the original in that it's more about family and family dyamics when it comes to the hauntings and spectres instead of a few people who barely know each other that are thrown together. Also, apparently in the Netflix version the ghosts are shown in great detail directly, which I can roll with if it works. Anyway, 'The Haunting (of Hill House)' with Julie Harris (1963) is multiple pages back. It's excellent and close to the novel with the exception of the suggestion that Eleanor may be a lesbian. It isn't a huge element of the story, but still integral IMO because it was a way to emphasize Eleanor's loneliness and isolation.

Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

I can't recommend the book enough. Shirley Jackson is great. It's more about what you DON'T see than what you DO see (same thing with the movie). By the way, 'The Lottery', wow, what an uproar that short story caused when it was published and it still packs a wallop. So, back to the book and the film adaption, Eleanor's attraction to Theodora wasn't only watered down it was eliminated because of censorship/Hollywood. Yep, had to be written out when meanwhile back at the ranch, Hollywood directors and producers were diddling anything with two legs. Hypocrites.

Whatever you do, don't ever waste even one second of your time on the remake of the 1963 version with Liam Neeson, Lili Taylor, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Owen Wilson (1999). It is a huge piece of Chitty McChit. It sucks that bad.

20. The Dark Knight

Great post, thanks @jetophile. Yeah, I think you will like the show when you watch it. I was planning on reading the book and the original film, so that is good to hear they are worth it. I will definitely skip the 99 version. :D Yeah, the show is basically it's own thing with it's own characters, so reading the book or watching the 1963 film should be a completely different experience.