Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

But he can't make reads and makes poor choices when rushed, that was not entirely on the previous staff. The previous staff taylored the offense for him and he still screwed the pooch. That is like blaming your parents for choices you are making when you are 40

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. rammagen

BS sorry but need to disagree Geno is Sanchez 2.0 people ran Sanchez out of town for be what he is but Geno gets chance after chance...
    Geno makes poor choices but lets blame that on the staff
    Geno can't read a defense let's blame that on the staff
    Geno went to camp to work on his mechanics but not his decision making. You can get every receiver in the world but if the QB can't read a defense and make the correct choice it won't make a difference

all three of the above are incorrect we added two receivers Decker and Harvin, and the one read offense was adjusted to Geno

#142 rammagen, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Big Blocker and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I disagree that the offense was tailored for him. Marty's west coast offense emphasizes getting the ball out of the quarterback's hand quickly, and Geno is at his best when he can survey downfield, evade the rush, break the pocket and take shots.

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't mind Geno starting again. Yes I think he is not that smart and mentally weak. But if this is how our coaches feel, I am OK with that.

My problem is another thing. Did Gailey talk to Bowles before making this announcement? Why is it Gailey who is making this anouncement?

5. rammagen

sorry I just read the quote I would expect the coaches to say this before training camp esp against a rookie and one legged man I think after Fitz gets healthy and Geno plays like Geno things may change esp.if the preseason passes he shows no improvement or the offense fails from week to week

"Right now, Geno is the starter," Chan Gailey said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "And the way we expect it to be."

6. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate for us? ...really, why don't you think it's a good move?

7. wGENOvFANu

wGENOvFANu Active Member

Wow...there are a lot of people (on this board and in the media) who need to learn what the words "probably" and "expect" actually mean.

Neither one mean anything close to a guarantee.

8. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

My theory on that .... I think Bowles and Gailey have been on the same page for a long time about Geno starting, and this was a nice gesture by Bowles, giving some authority publicly to Gailey as the head of the offense. In other words, this is Bowles showing some respect to Gailey as the OC, letting him make a major announcement about his side of the ball. Plus, we all know Bowles is a defensive guy, so maybe it's also a sign that he is deferring to Chan and letting him run the offense basically himself.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I respect this board's inputs but this strikes me of massive overreaction. Here is my take on this:

1- We really don't even know exactly what Gailey said and under what context, except for Cimini tidbit of info.
    2- No big surprise anyhow. Aside from the fan's deepest desires, Geno was always penciled in as number one going into training camp and pre-season. Someone has to get the largest share of the reps and he is the incumbent
    3- We don't even know Fitz heath status for the season yet.
    4- To assume that a guy like Gailey made the decision based on 2 days of OTA is absurd. That is his starting premise, nothing more. Once he determines Geno is not the guy its over, not the one game charade of the previous regime, so he owes him at least the chance to prove himself on this system.
    5- I trust his assessment far better than our desires

I think what the OC is implying is that they are geared to go with Geno on game one all being equal. That is the plan. Chan was given the mandate to see if Geno is the long term solution or not (independent of fans opinion). If Geno fails on that plan all bets are off. It will not be a one game benching but once he is replaced he is replaced for good. But for now, he is the guy they want to see under center, and for at least this year he is the guy with the largest upside for this type of offense. I don't think they have anointed him as the future, but as the incumbent at this point. Nothing more,nothing less.

10. silentkillah123

silentkillah123 New Member

if this stands true i will wish him the best of luck (though on record let it be known that i'm not in agreement with this decision). now should he stink up the joint lets hope todd and mac see eye to eye and do the right thing by benching him sooner rather than later when all hopes for making the playoffs mathematically is out of reach. for instance, if we go 0-3 to start the season i'd bench him and i'd start fitz in gm 4 and see how it goes. we could win enough of the remaining 13 games to make it in. this is all hypothetical of course as he could win the first 3 and this all would be moot but stringing multiple loses together would be cause for alarm.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

"Right now, Geno is the starter"

Right now, Fitzpatrick is injured.
    Right now, Petty is a 4th round rookie.
    Right now, Matt Simms sucks.

I'll worry about this if he's starting week 1, and its clear he isnt the best option.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. Sanchez had 4 years and didn't had a much easier ride. He also received a ridiculous contract that he didn't earn. Chance after chance? Who else are we going to play? It's easy to complain about him starting but no one behind him is any better.

13. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I saw Cimini talking about this earlier and he said that Gailey stated without being asked about it that Geno is the (probably) starter barring injury and that they had not even entertained the idea of having a competition at QB. Yea it was Cimini so take it with a grain of salt but I don't think he would purposefully misquote Gailey

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There isnt much to entertain right now. Fitzpatrick is hurt. If Fitzpatrick gets healthy and he is clearly the better option, and the team still opts for Geno I'll be mad.

For now, its May 20th, I dont care too much about this.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

1. Geno's game tape, pick after pick mostly run back for TDs.
    2. Four other QBs to choose from including an experienced veteran and a draft pick.
    3. No one putting a gun to their head, why rush such an important decision
    4. Poor way to motivate four out of five QBs who didn't get pronounced starter
    5. Poor way to motivate Geno by handing him the job once again, make him work for it
    6. Is Geno really the best choice? Really?

Big Blocker and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Geno is going to need a lot more snaps than Fitz to get Gailey's system down. Fitz will basically know it. Fitz will be better suited replacing Geno early on in a game than Geno would be replacing Fitz if either of the starters went down due to injury--- or just plain sucked. Geno with 50 % of the snaps would not be ready to go Day One.

17. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Let's revisit this after the 3rd preseason game.

Imagesrdecieving and FlaJet like this.
  18. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

What young guy? The new one or the one who continually fails??

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Nothing is guaranteed and as Jet fans we know it all too well. When it comes to Geno probable is enough to turn your stomach. We know where U stand by your sig. (nothing wrong with it) so just come out and say by your reckoning he should be the starter.
    I don't know how long U been a Jet nor do I care but please don't try and insult us (those of us that are turned off by Gaily's statement) by saying we don't know the meaning.