Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Clausen only had 10 starts and was benched for poor play. Not to mention Moore was the starter and Clausen played only because Moore was hurt and later ineffective. Lastly, Geno has shown improvement?

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Bridgewater may end up being nothing, but his play in college was so much better than Geno's that HE would have been someone to build around.

_

3. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

My biggest gripe as a jet fan, is the last sentence. HOW CAN A FRANCHISE MISS SO MANY GOD DAMN TIMES ON A QB???? With draft picks, and veterans they bring in here.

4. legler82

The NFL as a whole has not had a good history with 2nd round QBs, 1st round QB success rates aren't that good either. Drafting a QB in the 2nd round is not peanuts. Every once in while you strike gold like a Brees and in some extent Kaep and Dalton, but they have earn it though.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The #s between Geno and Clausen are somewhat similar (especially TD to INT ratio). According to the Jets staff, Geno showed enough "improvement" to start another year. That's not according to me.

Bridgewater was worth building around absolutely 100% I agree. There's no doubt in my mind Bridgewater was always the better QB prospect. Only reason he fell is because of his size , nothing to do with his football IQ. We really screwed up.

6. legler82

I know I'm in the minority but I don't believe they missed on the Sanchez pick, they just poorly managed that investment.

7. Chadchrebet

I completely disagree with you, but I respect you for at least having the balls to say it.

8. JStokes

His football IQ was his biggest selling point for me. Loved watching him at Louisville.

I heard a quote, can't remember who said it, that there is no other young QB in the league who is better the 5 seconds before the snap and 3 seconds after the snap then Teddy.

Knows where everyone is, should be and will be--on offense and defense.

There was a dude killing Teddy in the Draft Forum (along with every other QB coming out last year). Turns out he's just a closet Geno fan.

_

9. JStokes

Testify.

_

10. legler82

Their #'s may be similar but the way they were treated by their respective organizations is not the same.

According to many on this board Geno had shown improvement too; I never saw it.

Geno Smith missed team meeting before benching
    Post by: legler82, Yesterday at 10:35 AM in forum: New York Jets

11. JStokes

The improvement he showed was not "improvement", it was the lack of turnovers. He threw for under 200 yards a game those last 4 games, he just didn't turn the ball over at the rate he had done previously.

Yet there were dudes here proclaiming "he had the second highest quarterback rating after Peyton Manning over the last 4 games!!!!" without looking at any of the context.

_

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well the difference is the Panthers knew what they had in Jimmy after those 11 starts. They knew they had to upgrade that position. The Jets I guess didn't know what they had in Geno after the season ended, they were willing to find out even if it meant passing on a QB the next yr. I thought it was the same situation in regards to play. One franchise made a smart decision (and an obvious one).

You don't see many QBs with that football IQ coming out of college, add in the accuracy / ball placement skills you got yourself some great skill-sets coming out of college to build on. The off-the field story with his mother really showed me that the kid can handle adversity.

People fall in love with the physical traits too much in my opinion.

13. legler82

What I saw toward the end of last season from Geno was a young QB who would not allow his ego to get in the way of the team's success. He is still displaying that this year. It's a very commendable trait. You know he'd much rather be spraying the ball all over the field than running the read option. It's not easy suppress that gunslinger mentality when that's all you've done up until that point. Sanchez, for goodness sake, needed a color coded wristband. But let's not confuse that with improvement. The glaring weaknesses in his game (i.e., poor anticipation, putrid footwork and lack of awareness) still exist.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I saw all those games. MM had him throwing short passes, and his ypa actually went down from his season total. He also faced Oakland, an imploding Miami team, and a Cleveland team that had already scheduled their golf outings. Many were impressed by his runs, but this new wrinkle had the potential to be something opponents had not seen before and had not prepared for - and in fact his ypc has been going down ever since. But yes, he did not turn the ball over, and the Jets won 3 of those games.

This year the Oakland opener was misleading due to the poor quality of hte opponent. Since then Smith has been literally getting worse game by game.

Context is important.

15. legler82

See I don't even agree with the bold. I just see the exact same player.

I don't fault Geno; he is what he is. It's the those in the FO and/or coaching staff that think they see more I fault.

16. Big Blocker

Here's a pretty convincing case made that he has actually been regrressing:

By Smackdad on Oct 7 2014, 9:56a 252
    Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
    Is Geno Smith actually regressing?

Heading into the 2014 football season many Jets fans had high hopes that Geno Smith had turned the corner at the end of last season and would be a greatly improved quarterback in 2014. Word out of training camp was all about how much more comfortable and in command Geno was, how he had improved in reading defenses, in his footwork, in his command of the offense, in his presence in the huddle, etc. I think it's safe to say that despite all the glowing preseason reviews Geno Smith has been a disappointment this season. But has he actually regressed? Let's take a look.

Let's start with the basic measuring stick of quarterbacks, passer rating. In 2013 Geno had a passer rating of 66.5; in 2014 it's 69.3. Looks like progress, albeit minimal progress, right? Well, maybe not. One has to consider that the first month of the season, when the weather is nice, favors passing statistics. So one should expect better passing numbers early in the season than later on. The league average for all of 2013 was a 84.1 passer rating, meaning Geno performed at 79.1% of league average for the 2013 season. In 2014 so far, with the nice weather of early season football, the league average is 89.3. Geno's current mark of 69.3 means he is performing at 77.6% of league average in 2014, worse than his 79.1% for all of 2013. So what on the surface looks like incremental progress is actually incremental regression.

In 2013 Geno Smith had a better passer rating than the opponent's defense's season average in 4 games, against Atlanta, Buffalo, Miami and Cleveland, and came within 4 points of the opponent's defensive average against Tennessee. In five games in 2014 Geno has yet to exceed the opponent's defensive average in passer rating, and has yet to even come within 7 points of the opponent's defensive average in passer rating.

In 2013 Geno Smith never dipped below an 8 passer rating even in his historically bad three game stretch. Geno had a 7.6 passer rating last Sunday in San Diego.

In 2013 Geno Smith never went more than 5 games without a turnover free game. In 2014 Geno has started the season with 5 straight games with at least one turnover.

In 2013 Geno Smith had 8 fumbles and lost 4. In 2014 Geno has already had 4 fumbles and lost 2, and is on pace to have 13 fumbles and lose 6.

In 2013 Geno Smith rushed for a 5.1 ypc average and rushed for 6 TDs. In 2014 Geno has a 3.6 ypc average and is on pace to rush for 3 TDs.

In 2013 Geno Smith never went more than 4 games without at least 1 game in which he completed more than 63% of his passes. In 2014 he is now in a 4 game stretch in which he has never completed more than 61% of his passes.

In 2013 Geno Smith never went more than 4 games without leading the Jets offense to 26 or more points.

In 2014 Geno and the Jets have already gone 5 straight games without scoring more than 24 points.

The 2014 Geno Smith is pretty bad. That much is obvious. What may have not been quite as obvious is that he may be even worse in 2014 than he was in 2013. At the very least there is almost no statistical evidence that suggests he has improved in any meaningful way. No matter how much he may have impressed the coaches in the offseason, no matter how hard he may work, the bottom line is Geno Smith is not only not improving, he may actually be regressing. 21 games into his career that is a very alarming notion. Yes, young quarterbacks generally struggle. Yes, it takes time to develop. Yes, some take longer than others. But when you show no improvement at all, and may actually be headed in the opposite direction, the narrative that the Jets just have to be patient and let him develop wears thin. In order to develop, a quarterback actually has to show signs of improving. Thus far, those signs for Geno are largely relegated to things that can't be seen or quantified in any meaningful way in his statistical performance. If that doesn't change pretty soon, those signs will likely be shown to have just been wishful thinking all along.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/10/7/6934689/ny-jets-inept-geno

17. Big Blocker

So while I would concede the difference this year is incremental, it is technically worse. And beyond that after the start against one of the worst NFL teams, his performances have gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on.

18. raiderrocker18

raiderrocker18 New Member

i don't see Geno being a long term solution. does anybody here actually believe that he will be the Jets starting QB in the 2020 season opener, for instance?

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Hill... Ducasse... Hobson... ALEX VAN DYKE and Mike Nugent say hello

20. Chadchrebet

I remember these all too well. The stupidity that the Jets draft with is amazing. I still talk about Vlad.

Jets Draft/War room:

Tannebaum: I got a guy with real upside that nobody knows about, he played football for only a few years, he's Haitian and has a huge upside. Went to school at UMASS a 1-AA. Nobody will think to pick him, he played RT in college but we can develop him into a guard.

Sensible fan: Why not just draft any slap dick guard from the SEC, Big 12, Big 10 or Pac-12 in the later rounds, atleast we know what we've got with him

Tannebaum: No this kid has a lot of upside. Let's grab him before the other 31 teams find out about him.

3 years later hat in hand, Jets cut him. What a disaster.