Worse in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Exactly. The argument works both ways. Sure we got lucky against Miami with the FG, but guess what? We were unlucky against NE and TEN. Two games we should have won if Hill catches a pass and our o-line doesn't kick the ball on the bad snap.

You are what your record says you are. We were 6-10 last year. For advanced stat nuts out there our Pythagorean Theory (points scored vs points allowed) equated to a 6 win team. So one could argue we neither over or under achieved last season.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Exactly. In my opinion, our defense hinges on retaining the safeties. People will complain about losing most likely 3 of our LBs, but guess what? they sucked. As I side before, losing Bart Scott and replacing him with Davis is an addition by subtraction. Even if Davis is average at best next yr, he's a sure fire upgrade over Scott who was ranked as a bottom 5 ILB by profootball focus.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yeah, for sure that 1st NE game was looking good for us. We outplayed them all the way... a real heartbreaker. But yes, you take those losses but then you take the ones that come your way too.

But it's no good to dwell on any of them, because that's football and the way it goes. Look at Seattle coming back in Atlanta and then losing in the last seconds. So Atlanta goes on and then loses in much the same way at the very end to SF.

I will say that we do seem guilty of keeping games closer than they have to be. A lot of it was playcalling... Schotty and then Sparano... and a combination of Sanchez coughing up the ball at inopportune times.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You'll never get Bart Scott to admit that. He's the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor if you ask him.

5. allencjets

allencjets New Member

I agree that its too early to speculate how many wins based on who we lose. To say that we will have nobody to replace them is nonsense since the draft and free agency hasn't started yet. sure we may not get a superstar free agent this offseason but at this point that doesn't matter.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I can't possibly see us getting worse with Revis and Holmes back in the lineup. Yeah, we're going to have to cut people for salary but they were mostly washed up regardless and they will be replaced with younger cheaper players with more promise. I'll take a 1st or 2nd round rookie OLB over Calvin Pace any day of the week. The Jets might temporarily get worse on D, but it will well worth it for the purpose of building offense. The defense is fine, but they are being wasted because the offense has been terrible recently. The way our offense played last season, it really can't be that hard to beat. I just hope we can find a way to sign Landry amongst the chaos. It would be real shame to see him go. I would have liked to see Revis-Cromartie-Bell-Landry as our secondary unit. That reeks of awesomeness. I really hope we trade down for more picks this year and just stock up on OLBs, and offensive linesman.

#46 Barcs, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Maybe I'm being overly optomistic, but Sanchez will be in sink or swim mode, with an OC that focuses on getting the ball out of the QBs hands in 'easy' read progressions with check-downs. There IS the chance that he steps up in a system catered to his strengths.

Just for fun - rethink your responses with the assumption that Sanchez plays like an average QB instead of one of the worst. It's tough to have the discussion before training camp/the draft, but how many W's do you add on for decent QB play vs. the assumed train wreck that we all assume Sanchez will be next year?

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

We should draft one RB, maybe one safety, and then split the rest between OLB and OL.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I have us in the Superbowl next year, or I could be like most misarable Jet fans and predict a losingh season

10. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Not good for Rex...

He won't survive another 6 win stinker.

Also if this is Sanchez's do or die season, he will have even more pressure than in 2012...

So much pressure on these two in an obvious rebuilding year based on a long term vision of the new GM...

#50 deathstar, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  11. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

What is Mark Sanchez future?

[gazes into my crystal ball]

Gasp!

What is? What do you see?

I'm not sure what it means because the spirits reveal the future in strange ways. In a north Jersey tattoo parlor I see a coach getting 6 laser removed.

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I agree with you about LBs but not the safeties. Idzik is coming from a team that wasn't afraid to plug in 2 young safeties in the starting line-up of their high ranked defense. 2 years ago Thomas started as a rookie and Chancellor played a ton before taking over the starting role the next year. I think with the CBs we have and the safety depth of this draft we can probably afford to follow this model.

If Jones falls to us 9, we can be looking at a starting line-up that looks like this.

LDE Muhammad Wilkerson
    LDT Sione Po'uha
    RDT Kenrick Ellis
    RDE Quinton Coples
    SLB Jarvis Jones
    MLB David Harris
    WLB Demario Davis
    LCB Darelle Revis
    RCB Antonio Cromartie
    SS Antonio Allen or Rookie (i.e., Matt Elam, Shawn Williams, Robert Lester...etc.)
    FS Josh Bush or Rookie (i.e.,Kenny Vaccaro, Phillip Thomas, Baccari Rambo...etc.)

Note I'm using a 4 man front assumption to take advantage of the strength of the personnel. We get all our best defensive linemen on field at the same time. We utilize Jones as a 4-3 OLB on early downs and let him loose on passing downs in the same manner the Broncos use Von Miller. With Rex running the show and hopefully an improved offense, that's easily a top 5 defense. The best part is that we go from one of the oldest and slowest starting line-ups to one of the youngest and fastest.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You probably want Davis Sam and Jones Will. Sam has coverage responsibility more often and Will gets to pass rush more often and from the blindside.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yeah that was my thought process too but I was following the Broncos depth chart. They have Miller at strong. It really doesn't matter since in practice they line him up everywhere.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, Von Miller gets moved to the weak point in the opponent's protection scheme a lot.

16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

The Browns ain't bad my friend - you should make the 3 really good teams and another potentially very good team.

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

while Hill does deserve some blame for dropping "the pass" I have pointed out in another thread, I'll have to dig for it later, how the game could have been won any number of different ways. Hills just stands out more.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I think the window iso 9-10.

This is a Mangenious year.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You're pretty much right, and once again, we finish..l.justnwell enough to not get a blue chip player, and will not trade down out of the spot,to gain extra maintainable talent.

20. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Whats the first thing a Jets fan does after his team wins the superbowl?

Turns off his playstation. :beer: