Would you trade a 4th round pick for Josh Gordon?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jul 6, 2014.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Now you are just ignoring multiple other factors. Yes he was only .01 over the limit but he did that at a time when he was already due to be suspended for the year for a second failed drug test, after being suspended the 2 games last year for a failed drug test, after being suspended indefinitely in college and then failing another drug test.
    Big whoop? Yes, this is a big big big whoop and anyone that thinks otherwise is just obtuse.
    He does have a chance to turn his life around but to act as if he has one minor indiscretion on his record and that he will quickly get past it is just ignoring the facts of the matter.

Chad9 likes this.
  2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Good points

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Damn it goes back to college? Wasnt aware of that. Thats crazy.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade a pick for him but if they release him I would consider taking a one year flyer on him.

5. Chad9

Chad9 Member

Is it me or do most of the supplemental draft picks flame out in one way or another? Maybe I'm wrong.

Would Idzik be involved in trying to get this guy after the Goodson fiasco? Not frickin' likely.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There aren't a lot of supplemental picks so the sample size is small enough for random chance to be a big factor in assessing the overall success rate of those picks. Then you have the fact that many of the supplemental guys are in the draft at that point due to some strangeness in their college situation. Basically it's a small group of players who wound up in a process designed to handle NFL entry for people who couldn't use the normal process in a timely fashion.

Having a few of them work out while most flame out seems to be a pretty normal result for that kind of NFL entry.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He is a 22 yr old kid with problems. The question is can a 22 yr old kid about to lose everything mature fast enough to save it. I would 100% gamble a 4th rounder for the possibility of that with the Jets. The reward far outweighs the risk in that situation.

Problem is it's pure fantasy, Browns are not giving him up for a 4th rd pick and the Jets are not getting him.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rehab for what? A Coors Light and a blunt? Really? REHAB? He seems like 90% of every college/frat kid I've ever met. The problem isn't with him (or Tone or Ellis or anyone else) smoking reefer it's with the NCAA and NFL testing for it in the first place while you hypocrites sit at your keyboards acting all shocked.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It's not about that at all. We all have to follow stupid rules or we pay a consequence. Only a moron would rather smoke a blunt than have millions of dollars and be one of the greatest WR of his generation.

10. Footballgod214

Agree 100%....but it's a shame we embrace a 'system' that would ban electrifying athletes who also happen to be morons.

If Gordon was our 'moron' we'd probably think differently.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Pretty damn simple, you have a corporation willing to pay you millions but you have to follow their rules. A few of those rules involve not using drugs nor drinking and driving.
    I for one am sitting at my keyboard shocked, shocked that this moron is letting millions get away from him so that he can have a Coors Light and a blunt. He is not like 90% college/frat kid because they do not have millions and a career in the NFL at stake.
    It is posts like these that expose true ignorance, the problem, is absolutely, 100% with Gordon. If he wants the millions he plays by the rules that the NFLPA agreed to. Rules put in place to protect the players as well as the teams. Letting the players run rampant using any drugs they want, driving drunk and a multitude of other illegal activities is helpful to absolutely no one and a danger to the player and the public.

74, Chad9 and abyzmul like this.
  12. Chad9

Chad9 Member

And it's not like he can't drink. Either drink at home or hail a cab. The stupidity is mind-boggling. That blunt and now 3rd-4th Coors light (who drinks that crap anyway?) that he had to have and then drive on his own may have cost him in excess of 20-30 million dollars. And that's a very conservative figure. He's looking at a huge extension if he simply stays out of trouble for two more seasons.
    And it's not like the NFL hasn't been littered with idiots and their tragic tales that have all been conveyed at rookie symposiums. The info is out there. Guys like Gordon choose to ignore this data. But it's not like we've never seen this sad story play out. It usually comes down to family structure and mentors surrounding young athletes that determine success.

These young idiots just don't realize what a gold-mine opportunity they have in front of them.

13. Chad9

Chad9 Member

Why and how would we "think" differently? He's a moron despite what jersey he wears - how is that relevant? Didn't we see this same act with Goodson? He threw away his career. Tell me how that kid is going to earn millions a year outside of football. No one's changing their opinion of the matter based on what team he's on. In fact, we'd be more angry at him if Gordon were a Jet. That it's the Cleveland Clowns makes this a bit laughable actually since the circus has arrived there. And don't think Cleveland is happy. They were counting on his presence for their new franchise QB...who might bring the next circus act to Cleveland.
    Manziel thumbed his nose at the NCAA and walked away. Good luck in the NFL, Johnny-boy. There's already strong circumstantial evidence you were doing blow in Vegas. He's giving the NFL the finger right now but don't expect Goodell to let him get away with those antics for long. Knock-knock Johnny, here's that random urine sample you didn't expect!

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don't mind FBG, he's very secure in his dipshitality.

15. Footballgod214

As long as you're fine watching footballs clank off the hands of Anthony Becht for 60 minutes then stay true to your upper middle class white man's world.

JUST SAY NO!!!

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You're partly right. If he was our moron, I would still think him a moron.

But I'd also be royally pissed at him for being such a dipshit and jeopardizing my team's chances for success.

I have no such anger towards him now because I care not for the Browns.

_

17. Chad9

Chad9 Member

Mi no comprende

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Would I trade a Jets' 4th rounder for Josh Gordon? Yes.

That is like asking, would I trade Bilal Powell for Josh Gordon? (Yes.)

Gordon is only 23. Even if he doesn't play another down in the NFL, I don't see any major downside risk aside from the contractual obligations. But if he's suspended again or even banned for life, I would think you could recoup some of that money, or at the very least, stop paying the guy (e.g. Aaron Hernandez).

If he can somehow get his life back together, you are getting the best young receiving talent in the game heading into his prime years.

Anyhow, it's a moot point. This thread is a time-wasting exercise. After getting burned by Goodson, Idzik is not gonna go down that road again. He wants high character guys with a clean rap sheet. This isn't the Cincinnati Bengals he's trying to recreate here.

abyzmul likes this.