Would The Jets Pass on The Best QB?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2018.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Serious question.

If the consensus evaluation of QB attributes clearly elevates one QB above the rest in this years draft, why would the Jets not select him?

Are NFL organisations so dumb that they would allow such a lapse in judgment? Are the Jets?

I believe that this Mayfield hype has been a smokescreen the entire time. Or at least that is my hope. He could do fine I'm sure I don't want to throw shade on the guy. But why overthink this?

Rosen is the best QB right now. We haven't gotten this pick right since 1965 I don't care how charismatic or fiery and passionate you are, I want.. we deserve to have the best QB available and if we pass on that we deserve to fail.

Tell you what, I can win over a room and be fiery and have people pumped up... YOU SURE AS SHIT DON"T WANT ME BEHIND CENTER!

FJF likes this.
  2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I also have that feeling for tonight too tbh the Jets might pass on josh rosen,It makes me throwup to think that.

3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

And don't mistake me, I'm no Rosen truther or fanboy. In fact, I believe by years end Teddy will be the best QB on the roster but I'm also a realist to the fact that we must draft QB here. With that being the case how do you even consider "upside" or any side other than the best talent? Wasn't Hack suppose to have high upside?...

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s been obvious for months that there is no consensus best QB, the best QB won’t be proven for years.

HomeoftheJets and MoWilkBeast like this.
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

All I'll say if you believe Mayfield to be so inferior to Rosen AND if Mayfield ends up being the pick: have an open mind about it. Don't go into full meltdown. There is enough evidence available out there that he is at or even above the level of Rosen overall that this shouldn't be a meltdown on delivery pick. Enjoy it, regardless of the pick. We'll be living with the pick for quite some time.

6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

While I do agree in part with your optimism point of view, I would have to disagree about the QB evaluation. I have yet to hear a single "expert" say Rosen isn't the best talent currently. Even the experts that bury him on their boards and elevate other QBs above him do so based on others intangibles.

Personally I'd rather draft someone for what I know they can do, not what they could potentially do.

FJF likes this.
  7. xxedge72x

He is the best talent in one, important, regard: traditional NFL passer mechanics. We aren't watching traditional NFL schemes anymore. The skill set still matters but there is more to it. The evaluation has to go beyond the one factor.

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Right, and footwork, throwing motion, and release have been the killer of MANY highly touted "prospects". How many superb athletes, with big arms, and good instincts, fizzle out because they can't overcome just one of those mechanical flaws? We see it all the time.

Rosen also has another leg up on the rest of the class, which is his understanding of the game, ability to learn, and pattern recognition. See Mark Sanchez, great talent with an arm that can make all the throws but barely a functioning retard when it came to seeing the whole field and how things were developing.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t know how true this is. I don’t know how you could even really make the claim that someone has the ability or inability to learn unless you’re the one teaching them. Rosen has a better understanding of the game than Mayfield because he played at UCLA? I dunno. Not buying it.

I’m fine with either. As long as one of their names is called tonight I can go to sleep a ridiculously happy man.

xxedge72x likes this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but you also have to bear in mind what they can become. Rosen might be the best now, but will he be in 2/3 year's time? As far as I'm concerned that's more important than what they are now.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wow somebody else that forgot to add IMO at the start of their post.

Imo Rosen Is the best qb will the jets pass on him, man it is my big worry, they won't take that smart mouthed pumped up qb will they.

Now I will dribble a bit and claim things but not back them up as per usual for this kind of post.

I will decry my love for the guy I want drafted to head off any smart ass who may want to argue about it.

Job done.

ABM

Anyone bar Mayfield.

:rolleyes:

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

All 4 of these QB's have their strengths and weaknesses so its anyone's guess who will be the best. If the best QB in this draft ends up in the AFCE then I just hope he is wearing green and not blue.

13. xxedge72x

Footwork, throwing motion, and release are all strengths of Mayfield. Mayfield is sometimes correctly criticized for having frenetic feet, but that is balanced by his ability to retain his full arm strength and accuracy when throwing off balance, something Rosen has never really shown with any consistency.

Also, regarding the intelligence factor, that is a weak hill to die on. You can reasonably assess that Rosen is the most intelligent of these guys, but only with a low degree of confidence. Neither you nor I nor anyone outside of the NFL or the press covering it has sat 1:1 and worked through whiteboarding and schematics with any of these guys. You and I, we just don't know. There are a lot of reports that say Rosen is as bright as advertised, the same way that there are a lot of reports that Mayfield is absolutely blowing teams away on the whiteboard. We don't have facts as to what is true and what is smoke. You can fairly suspect where they rank, but you don't truly know. If you want to look at something concerning game knowledge that we do know, it is games started, and Mayfield stands above the class in this factor alone. Being a senior with 4 years starting experience is something that mattered to Bill Parcells (and I would assume Bowles having come from that tree, though I don't know that either). This is definitely not something Mark Sanchez could claim.

So I see you making analogies for Mayfield to compare him to Sanchez and whomever, while building up Rosen, but you really ought to check the facts behind your evaluation. There are tons of good reasons to love Rosen, but he is not as clear cut above the rest as many here believe he is.

14. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Just to be clear I'm not speaking in certainties. I like anyone else has to take perception and evaluation accounts and extrapolate that into some kind of context.

My overlying point remains the same. You can poke far less holes in the case for Rosen than you can any other QB based off of film exclusively.