Why Jets can reach Super Bowl within next 3 years

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You nailed it! The first thing the Jets - or any team - need to do is define what their system is, their blueprint. Then they need to find the players that fit that system, not just take BPA and force them into it without regard to whether they fit it. I think this is where the Jets continually fail because they often hire first time HCs who haven't yet figured out what their system is. I doubt BB had his system in Cleveland, but by the time he got to Foxboro he figured it out. Drafting Brady wasn't just luck or a random act, BB CHOSE him because he saw qualities that fit his system. If Brady went anywhere else he might well have washed out of the league before proving himself.

I think Mac and Bowles don't have any idea of a blueprint for this team. Maybe if they were kept long enough they would figure one out, but are the Jets fans really going to accept that multi-year learning curve? Especially when they've already wasted three years? Not likely. While I hope they Jets vastly improve their roster via FA and the draft, I'm also hoping that they get rid of Macc & Bowles and replace them with PROVEN guys who DO have a plan. That said, unless they flame out - which is very possible - Woody/Chris are going to stick with them under the mistaken belief that eventually they'll learn. Meanwhile, fans like me who have been patient for decades will be asked to remain patient. I'm like the buzzard in the cartoon, sitting on the edge of a cliff overlooking an empty desert, who says to his buddy: "Patience may. Let's go kill something".

Metstrife and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

Bowles absolutely deserves blame! Who has he - and HIS CS coached up? In fact they've actually coached DOWN. True, Macc hasn't done a great job in acquiring talent, and he needs to go away, but Bowles has not only NOT developed players, he's screwed up games because of his own coaching ability.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

All true, but who took the decision to put those two in their respective decisions?

4. ColoradoContrails

If you mean Woody, I absolutely agree that he's the main problem, but unless he sells the team (I wish!), we'e stuck with him.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. ThatQueensGuy13

ThatQueensGuy13 New Member

Guide For Sb contention in 2018

Sign Kirk
    Draft Barkley With 6th Pick
    Make Big Spalsh in FA By signing Malcom Butler , Laundry/Alllen Robison/Sammy Watkins
    Re Up Moe Claiborne
    Sign Srich Back
    Make a couple nice sleeper Picks in the draft at the Lb and Oline position
    make a couple sneaky under the radar Fa signings toward the end camp

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great post. We do not have a coach/GM that can get players to play in this system. A system with no discipline and a GM who only drafts defensive players. So I have no faith in them ever getting it right or even close.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. boozer32

LOL

Peebag likes this.
  8. boozer32

The people at the top are not game planning every Sunday. They can't make in game adjustments or even make on field decisions. Woody problem was chossing Bowles instead of waiting for Quinn. Bowles problem is he's incompetent and not an NFL quality head coach. He should not have even been on the market for a head coaching job.

9. boozer32

That's asking alot EF from a coaching staff and scouting department that is one of the worst in history. The Jets are in no mans land. They know their coach and GM are on thin ice. So bringing in all these free agents and draft picks to a staff that won't be around. So we are hanging a huge anchor on the next regime coming in. They will first have to access this mess and then clean up this mess before they will get their scheme and vision on the Jets. Hopefully they are creative and can get there faster than the idiots we got now.

#49 boozer32, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Without the Jets having a draft that is an absolute home run like the saints did last year

boozer32 likes this.
  11. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry everyone but I just cannot buy the idea that Woody Johnson is to blame for all of the problems. Woody Johnson is an excellent owner that stays out of the CS's business. He leaves professionals to run the organization and he just signs checks. that's the ultimate tell tale sign of a good owner.

The ONLY thing Woody is guilty of is poor hiring. He has not been able to get a good GM that can consistently acquire talent. Now, I agree this is HUGE and really the reason why this team sucks, but what more could he have done in the last hiring round? He hired two very experienced NFL professionals to do his bidding for him. That's about as pragmatic and logical an approach as I've ever seen. Now whether you think Casserly and Wolfe are decent guys to lean on in the hiring process is up for debate, but based on how long an NFL career those two have managed to have it's hard to argue they haven't had some decent success at hiring the right kind of executives to put on their staff.

Unfortunately, for as logical an approach as Woody used, the end product is barely treading water. However, I just don't believe that is Woody's fault. He did the very best he could and maybe the right guys just weren't available when he was making hiring moves?

12. ColoradoContrails

Mainejet - which brother are you, Woody or Chris? If neither, are they holding one of your loved ones hostage? Because you can't really be serious in trying to absolve the Johnsons of blame! Imagine if they were the CEOs of a company and went to the shareholders meeting to announce that once again, like decades before, their product was failing, but they told the shareholders "Look! It's not our fault. It's the people we hired to run things and make decisions. We're just the CEOs." How do you think that would go over MJ?

When there is a long term, systemic problem, you need to go to the top to see what decisions have been made, and the guy making those decisions IS to blame. Remember what Harry Truman had on his desk? "The buck stops here". If the problem remains unfixed, it's up to the guy at the top to keep trying things until it is. The one thing they haven't tried - even under Hess - is to hire a true football guy to be in charge. Until they do that, it's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

But keep making excuses for them MJ...or Woody...or Chris....or whoever you are.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How does a team stay competitive throughout the season if they aren't buying what the coach is selling? How does one think they are not game-planning? Especially since the majority of the loses were due to blown 4th QTR leads. I mentioned its hard for a young team to win. If your opinion WAS true, they wouldn't be as competitive. Jets need more talent simple as that, the inhouse talent needs to mature.

Still talking about Quinn, yet still no SB title either, and his defense didn't play that well at all, including regressions from their top players. Quinn was never coming here.

Just another Jet fan conspiracy theory like these:

1. Bowles doesn't play young players
    2. Bowles fault they drafted 2 safeties
    3. Bowles fault Trump is the president of the USA.

Any others I am missing?

FJF likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

After firing Tanny, Woody forced any new GM candidate in 2013 to keep Rex, which made the good candidates avoid even interviewing for the position. Instead, we got John Idzik and the rest is history.

15. ColoradoContrails

It does seem like the team played hard for Bowles, and "bought what he was selling"...the only problem was he was selling something other than a successful strategy. And certainly, all teams do game planning, even losing ones. The problem is that Bowles hasn't figured out to create a consistent WINNING game plan, and more importantly, how to make adjustments when his game plan doesn't work. You seem to be absolving the HC from any blame in a pattern of blown 4th qtr. collapses, why?

Of course the Jets need more talent, but Bowles hasn't done enough with the talent he has.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. boozer32

How do you know he wasn't coming? You got sources. Real nice bashing a guy who at least got to the show. Hey 101 when was the last Jets team SB appearance. Still a Bowles homer after all this time. Must be a relative. I agree the jets need huge influx of talent. It will improve the team immensely. Just waiting on that happening. Aren't you? I'm not into conspiracies. I'll leave that for the homers like you. But #3 has some merit.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I didn't know Bowles was responsible for bringing in talent. Thats why I always say Mac and Bowles need to work together much better. Mac needs to not strike out on a QB.

:D @ the bold tho

boozer32 likes this.
  18. Mainejet

The only thing I'm getting back from you is argument and insults. Woody does not do anything any different than any other owner. The problem is many of those other owners have made some decent hires. But that does not diminish the fact that Woody is another very good owner that just doesn't know how to hire talent. Now go ahead and run your mouth some more.

19. Mainejet

Rex, at that time, was a good HC with some accomplishments on his resume. He got an extension because he deserved it. Get over it.

And honestly do you really think you're any better off now? Yeah. I didn't think so.

20. ColoradoContrails

If you don't want blowback then don't make outlandish statements. Woody is the owner, and the buck stops with him. Saying that it's fault of the guys below him - who he hired! - is crazy.