Why is ever down on Brian Leonard?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 12, 2007.

1. All Star

All Star Active Member

I actually think BJ Askew is a very very, under utitlized player in our offense........

2. JetsLookingforDWare

Link doesn't work.

Plus, Askew ran a 4.68, way slower than Leonard should run. He hasn't shown any of the power or athletic ability Leonard has shown, even at the college level. Leonard should test better than Askew all around.

Plus, Askew was and is not known to have a good work ethic, and its hurt him significantly at the NFL level. Thats never been a knock on Leonard.

The only real thing to be argued that should involve Askew is pretty talented, and when he did get carries and such he did fine. That said, many people also want someone who can block at the FB position, and Leonard destroys him there.

Funny thing is, alot of draft sites are saying Leonard is a legit prospect as a RB. Heres a snippet from NFL Draft Scout:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=9412

Sorry, can't copy and paste from the site.

#42 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  3. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

Sorry--here's the link: http://nfldraft.ionichost.com/BJAskew.html They list an unofficial 40-time of 4.58. Unofficial.

Everything you said is right, except you're comparing what we know of Askew to what is being projected of Leonard. Askew did not have a reputation of being a guy with a work ethic problem, and I haven't really heard that before you just wrote it.

I like Askew but he has had problems finding a niche in the offense--the turmoil in the offensive coaches the last few years has no doubt hurt him. He seemed to get more involved in the passing game as last season went on so let's see if Schott is getting more comfortable with him. That said, Askew's presence is not prohibitive to drafting Leonard, at the right spot.

4. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

I want to add that I like Leonard better than I like Michael Bush. I like the pro potential of Tyrone Moss and I'm intrigued by what I hear of Dwayne Wright-- I think both of them would fit in well with the Jets offense and could be had later than Leonard.

5. All Star

All Star Active Member

Where did BJ Askew with a bad work ethic come from?

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'll say this... If we HAD to take a RB and it came down to Michael Bush or Brian Leonard, I'd take Leonard.

7. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Sportscenter is gonna have a segment on Brian Leonard today

8. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i personally like brian lenard but in the same light i find that he is a very dangerous runner for the fact that i watched footage of him in games and he always seems to always wanna take flight and jump over somebodys head. now some might say that was awesome and he's great but then on the other hand that shit aint gonna fly in the nfl *no pun* intended. plus he is trying to slim down in hopes of being a halfback in the nfl so if you drafted him would we have a case of the ron dayne syndrome. Meaning a guy knows he is suppose to power run for you and block etc.. but he just wants all the glorification.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

It's not exactly like dropping his weight to 225-235 is light for a RB.

10. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Ron Dayne is a fat finesse back. Dayne shys away from contact and plays with absolutely no power. Comparing Brian Leonard to him is ridiculous.

11. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i think the comparison is that dayne was a big back who should of played like a power back and roll people over. and brian leonard is a fullback who makes contact and wants to be a half back so the comparison is they are both wanna be's now tell me theres no comparison...........

12. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

your right thats not light for a halfback but kinda light for a fullback which is the intended position we would want him to play. mainly for the blocking and opening up holes purpose.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

It would be light for a FB. He went to the SB around 225-235 to be seen as a HB.

If he's being seen as a FB, or asked to become a FB at the NFL level...logically wouldn't he put on some FB weight?

14. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

nope, because that would make too much sense and a lot of members on this board think "logic" is for morons, lmao.

15. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Here is Scott Wright's opinion of Brian Leonard via a question from a Jets fan...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/asknfldc/021607.html

First I'd like to say I visit your website everyday from Novemeber until two months after the draft and I love it. Great Job.

Onto my questions. I am a huge Jets fan and I know that we have our down side and our needs. I know we have weaknesses at SS and OLB, and we have fairly large needs at RB, CB, and NT but the position I am interested in is FB. With the style of offense that the Jets run would Brian Leonard be a great fit for us. I want to know what you think the chances of him dropping to us with our second pick in the 2nd round are, or of us trading up to get him. The second thing I want to ask is what role do you think Dewayne Robertson will play next year. Everyone says he's a poor NT, but can he move to another spot or improve?

Dan Maher, New York, New York
    Thanks for those kind words, they are appreciated!

I totally agree with you and Brian Leonard would be an excellent fit for the Jets. Not only would he give them a great pass catcher out of the backfield and a power runner to compliment Leon Washington but he is also the type of high-character, team orientated guy that Eric Mangini is looking for. I'd say it's 50/50 that he will be there for the Jets own pick in late round two but as you mentioned they also have the Redskins selection at #37 overall and he might be a possibility for them there.

As far as Dewayne Robertson goes, he is a very good player but just not an ideal fit as a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme, despite his best efforts. Some feel he might be able to move outside and play end in the 3-4 but I'm not sold on that personally. The Jets are likely still in the market for that true nose tackle that all good 3-4 teams need and whether or not they are able to land one will likely dictate Robertson's future.

16. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Notice how every scout is high on Brian Leonard? I havent seen any scout or analysis trash Brian Leonard. Its only ignorant footballs fans who havent seen him play who say "you dont draft a FB, period" or "he cant be any good if he lost his starting job"(this one cracks me up the most and shows me the person knows nothing about Leonard). I compare Brian Leonard to Brian Westbrook. What he brings to the table is ridiculous. Wouldnt you give up a 2nd rounder for a Brian Westbrook(minus the injury proneness) who can block?

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Exactly PR. EVERY scout says this guy is a legit player, and a legit offensive weapons.

Fans around here think he's overrated because he:

1. Built up his legend in a program that is JUST getting good when he's leaving.

2. Is a FB.

Brian Leonard is far more than that though. He's a terrific athlete (how can that be, he's white), he's fast, he's strong, he's a "do it all" FB who can play almost anywhere else on the offense.

Hm...versatile...high character...sounds like a Mangini type no?