Why is ever down on Brian Leonard?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

I was just thinking about the Jets draft (again) and why fans seem so anti-Brian Leonard early on.

Seriously, Leonard is one of those fullbacks who has shown the ability to be a very stout runner, blocker, and reciever, but is somehow falling because blocking isn't his main thing.

Yes, he could be bigger, and losing weight to be seen as an H-back was a borderline retarded career move. But is there any reason to think that a FB with his skills would be completely useless in our offense? He has a ton of room to fill out, and while that could take a while um...he'll be training at the NFL level with a coaching staff (and a mindset) that wants their players to be the best they can be. A FB like him would be amazing in this offense. It may take him a couple years of development to truly become a good blocking and running FB at the NFL level simply because he has to get bigger, but the talent in him is legit.

I'm starting to wonder that after people starting saying going to Rutgers made him highly overrated that its quickly made him underrated. He's got legit talent, that can't be questioned.

That said of course...I don't like him before the third at the earliest.

2. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

My problem with drafting Leonard is he's being projected as a first-day pick. If the Jets could get him on the second day (since they don't have a fourth rounder, he'd have to drop to the fifth) I'd be ecstatic. But just like predicting Carriker will fall to the second round, you have to be a little realistic.

A couple of months ago, Schiano said that once Leonard goes through the Combine and people see his athletic gifts, he should sneak into the first round--I'm not saying this will happen, but if he's as athletic as Schiano says, and seeing as how he's a guy who has excelled as a feature runner and as a fullback, he'd probably be taken well before the point where most of us would be comfortable.

The Leonard Leap, however ridiculous it sounds, shows he's quite an elite athlete with a feel for the game. On the college level against lesser competition, he showed he can block; but can he block the bigger, faster guys he would be facing in the pros, or even in a Big East that didn't lose Miami, VaTech, and BC? He was replaced as the feature back, so it's far-fetched to think he'll be a number one in the pros. He's less than 230 lbs, so he's small for a fullback. And H-back, however in vogue these days, is not a position worth drafting very high.

All that is just to answer your question--truth is, I think Leonard can be an asset in the pro's, but it will fall on the team that picks him up to figure out how. For the Jets, he's the versatile kind of guy you'd think Schotty could use creatively. But then again, is he that much different than BJ Askew? And how much did Askew add to the offense this year?

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Leonard wasn't replaced as a running back, he just happened to be the best one on the team until a kid that challenged for the Heisman as a sophmore came in.
    Better hands, harder runner, better blocker.

To say that he is Askew before he's even drafted seems a little bit off doesn't it? He's obvious an elite athlete for his position, and one who works his ass off and is a team first guy.

BTW: You make it seem like guys stop growing after the NFL. You come into the NFL, you're getting NFL trainers, gyms, diets, and so on.

How many guys off the top of your head, especially fullbacks, come in as elite lead blockers? It takes work, and alot of working out to add the beef/strength needed for that.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

I forgot...it's "everyone."

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He's neither a true RB or FB. He isn't fast or quick enough to be a full-time RB and he's not a great blocker.

Basically, he's BJ Askew.

6. Theo Lambros

Theo Lambros New Member

BJ Askew isn't in the same galaxy as Leonard in terms of athleticism. Let's not compare apples and oranges here.

7. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Leonard can be a solid player somewhere, but the Jets just don't have the luxury to draft him, too many holes on D. We already have Brad Smith who plays best catching out of the backfield(much like Leonard) and Pociask may just be our FB next year. Leonard is gutsy and athletic but too small for my liking to be considered at FB.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Leonard was a damn good blocker this year.

I think people are associating size/weight way too much with Leonard. They see similar measurables to Askew, and a similar build and say "he's Askew." It's the same thing going on with Jordan/Turner. Any current/former Jet that failed(ish) is compared to a legitimately talented guy that is "getting talked about too much."

Leonard is a jack of all trades at fullback, and because of that people want to say he's not very good at any one thing. It's horrible logic, and wrong when you watch him play...but it's getting done alot now. It's kind of the point of the original post.

9. Theo Lambros

Theo Lambros New Member

I wouldn't count on a 6th round pick who missed his entire rookie season due to injury to step in start. The problem is people try to pigeon-hole Leonard at a certain position instead of realizing that he is a weapon and the fact that he is able to play multiple positions is a positive, not a negative.

10. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

more like why is everyone up on brian leonard. any rutgers fan has us taking him with our 2nd round pick.

11. JetFanInPA

All I'm saying, is they have similar skill sets. I'm not saying they are the exact same player as each other. They're both neither a RB or true FB. I read somewhere that Brian Leonard had lost weight and was trying to establish himself as a RB during Senior Bowl week.

12. All Star

All Star Active Member

Leonard is said to run a 4.55 40, Cedric Houston ran a 4.62.....

Those thinking Leonard is not fast enough need to think again.......

13. Theo Lambros

Theo Lambros New Member

4.52 is what he ran on campus but he's been timed a bunch of times in the 4.4s

14. All Star

All Star Active Member

I rounded it off, you never know how exact the unofficial ones are......

15. JetsLookingforDWare

Jesus, no wonder he wants to try himself as a RB.

He really would be one of the most versatile offensive weapons in the league.

16. JetFanInPA

17. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

But he's not fast enough to be a HB in the NFL, and would basically be forced to run inside the tackles (you think he can Leonard-leap people in the NFL to get outside?). He's a fantastic pass catcher, a decent blocker, and a decent runner. Houston can run as well as Leonard, Askew is only a tad worse at blocking then Leonard, and his only real asset to this team would be his pass catching ability. If we're going to use a first day pick on a pass catcher, give me a WR or TE first, thank you.

Pass on Leonard, and get more of a pure FB in FA or in the late rouns of the draft.

18. Theo Lambros

Theo Lambros New Member

Not fast enough...because he's white? He ran a 4.52 on campus and has also run in the 4.45+ range while at Rutgers. Now that he lost weight one can bet he's in the 4.4s...

19. JetsLookingforDWare

His timed speed is very fast, and he runs as hard you'd hope for.

That said, I don't seriously think he's a good running back prospect. He IS a legit all around talent that can block, run, and catch passes at the FB position. Think of how much Pennington loved going to Sowells. Leonard has three times the talent Sowell has, and his upside at the NFL level is potentiall phenomenal.

20. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Don't bring up race.. your just asking for trouble.. nobody said anything about that above