Why does Geno Smith receive so much hate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 5, 2015.

1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think players should be able to say something back to the asshole fans.

2. lagogo

lagogo New Member

Love well, whip well.

3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Geno is a arrogant puck who lacks the skill and knowledge to be an NFL QB. Sanchez was dead last in QB rating for two season and 90% of you wanted him gone. Geno is dead last of all NFL QBs for two tears and half of you still kiss his ass. I really would have like us to try and get Austin Davis as soon as they picked Mannion. Davis completed 180 of 284 for 63.4% and 12 TDs for with only 9 INTs. With less reps and starts than Geno, this kids proved he can actually play. What does he get in return a #3 QB spot and Geno who was horrible gets the starting nod handed to him. There are numerous better QBs than Geno sitting #2 or #3 on teams, yet the Jets keep him around.

jetsons and FlaJet like this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Seems everyone now expects kids right after college to come to the NFL and light it up.
    This is a pivitol year for Geno, the system will be tailored more towards what he did in college and he's got better weapons to play with. Let's see what he does in Gailey's system .

DMSMaven likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree with you - Fitz is hurt, so Geno will have all of the momentum, it will take a hell of a TC for Fitz to gain ground. I just have this feeling, that the Jets are again giving Geno Smith every opportunity to win the job.

Skips team meeting, gets benched after the first half against the Chargers. Let's not forget weeks before, he had that awful Buffalo game where he was benched. How many times do you have to get benched to learn your lesson? He's been benched at least 4 times.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, from what I remember, WFH got booed often while he was here. There were a few others that got on the bad side of fans (Sanchez among others) so I'm thinking its more of a visibility thing.

Your QB's are outfront and when they f'up, everyone sees it. Your OLine guys are the same when you see it start raining yellow flags regularly. Guys like Winters or Allen have the luxury of not being out front. Perhaps Allen more than Winters in this case.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

that is true but understand it's really not malicious though sometimes it may look that way.

No it isn't. Fitz is a quality backup, nothing more. he's never been the starting QB for more than 6 wins in a season, any game close to being considered a big game he has folded.

Geno has been mostly bad but is still a bit of an unknown. we know Fitz and he's not good, we think Geno is not good but that can change.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Geno Smith had the bad luck of having to take over for a turnover prone QB and a coach who couldn't develop offense. So when the offense has struggled and Geno Smith has turned the ball over it has been a culmination of many years of futility... that's a little unfair for Geno Smith.. but that's why he receives so much hate.

Having said that, he hasn't helped matters himself with his play and with his stupidity...

I'm not ready to give up on him though yet. I want to see how he does in a new system, with a new regime and a fresh start. IF* he can turn it around, its much better for this organization for him to make strides behind center and run with it than going with a placeholder like Fitzpatrick or making the mistake of working in yet another QB too early in Petty.

FJF likes this.
  9. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I am OK with a clean slate for all these guys.

Maybe in year 3 the game has slowed down for Geno and with Gailey's system and much better weapons he can be a successful.

But do I like him? Do I think he is a long term solution at QB? Absolutely not. I think he is not a leader. He is fragile mentally. From cursing at fans, being late to team meetings, the draft antics, his need to buttress his mental state and deny reality by stating that he is the number one guy despite his on-field performance... These all suggest a mentally weak guy that may win some games because of an improved system and team around him but there will be some point in the season where the pressure will build and they will need him to be tough but he will fold like a cheap suit. I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

With Fitz, I think he can be a good game manager, and he has enough of arm to make all the throws and challenge guys deep. Being reunited with Gailey and being a more mature guy may bring out the best in Fitz. Time will tell. He is still young, and could potentially progress to be a guy that gets the Jets into a playoff run. He has a higher floor than Geno but potentially a lower ceiling, though that is debatable.

From what I have seen of Petty, it appears he has the athleticism of Geno, but seems to be a natural leader and a great locker room guy. If he progresses and learns the pro-style system he could be the guy, but I'm hoping Geno or Fitz could win enough games and/or stay healthy so we dont need to insert Petty in 2015.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Whom are U speaking for? Geno has proven he sucks he is at the crossroad of proving he doesn't suck. My personal opinion is he will fail and in the end will be gone. As a die hard Jet fan I certainly hope he proves me and the very many wrong.

11. BrowningNagle

Fitzpatrick doesn't have enough of an arm to make all the throws and challenge guys deep by any means. Thats not true what-so-ever.

Geno Smith may not be a great leader but he doesn't have to be. Some guys just aren't cut out for that. And a team's leadership doesn't have to come from the QB position. They have plenty of veterans on that offense that should grab the reins and provide leadership: Mangold, Ferguson, Decker, Ivory...

Geno Smith's no.1 priority far and away needs to be cutting down on turnovers. If he can do that, he is at the very least on the level of Fitzpatrick (even Fitzpatrick has struggled with interceptions however).. and Geno Smith CAN make all the throws, something Fitzpatrick cannot. I disagree that Smith is fragile mentally. At least in a football sense. He's not up and down like Sanchez was. He's the same guy whether they are having success or not, the problem has just been that that "same guy" has had the tendency to make poor decisions or not read defenses properly. He's not giving up he's just been failing

I do agree with you on Petty though

12. PulseJet

Sorry Browning. I think your wrong on the first count. Just watch the first 15 seconds of this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tzpatrick-throws-six-tds-in-blowout-of-titans
    Fitz doesnt have an elite arm, and not as good as Geno, granted. But its good enough as that first pass shows.

And sorry, a QB cant be a mopey baby like Geno has been. If Geno was just quiet and went about his business on the field I would tend to agree with you. There are guys like Flacco who have won Super Bowls without being very vocal leaders. But Geno hasnt been like that. When he has been challenged by fans, he has lost his cool and cursed at them. When he wasn't drafted 1st rd, he attempts to leave the draft instead of toughing it out and just enjoying the moment. He doesnt seem to me to be a guy that you would want to fight for and with.

But again I'd be happy to be proven wrong and maybe with some maturity and success Geno becomes a leader or at least not a baby.

13. nyjunc

He's still very young in this league and despite his poor play he has won 8 games in a season as a starter- Fitz has never won more than 6. Geno still has a higher ceiling than Fitz.

14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I think you've missed a bit here: As "bad" as Ravens fans feel Flacco has been at points, they stick behind him. You would never see them get on Flacco like Jets fans get on whomever is under center. It's just not done. In Jets land, the fan base is so bitter and disillusioned that their fuse is very short. And, let's face it, Jets fans, by and large, are haters.

If the Jets lose, there's a million posts about how this guy fucked up or how the team hasn't won in 40 + years. When they win....crickets.

So, it's not just Geno, he's just the current whipping boy.

15. nyjunc

Before that SB run in 2012 Ravens fans were fed up w/ Flacco. They didn't treat him as poorly as we treat our players but they wanted him gone.

jetsons likes this.
  16. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

As someone who lives near Baltimore, I can say that they were disappointed, but that level of discourse never remotely entered the realm of "bitter Jets fan".

Lets face it, Jets fans expect to lose and to take their pound of flesh for losing. In contrast, Ravens fans expect to win and get disappointed but never disillusioned: When Flacco wasn't doing very well, they still expected to win somehow some way. And I never saw much chatter from fans who wore jerseys that they wanted him gone.

17. PulseJet

A couple of Super Bowl victories tempers a fanbase. And I agree Jets fans are very harsh on their QB's. I thought they were too harsh on Sanchez as well.

18. GangGreenNYJ

GangGreenNYJ Member

I like Geno and think he is misunderstood. He shows promise, and flashes of stardom. I think the old regime underdeveloped him as a young QB. The new regime with Chan Gailey, who supposedly gets the most out of his QB, should do wonders for Geno. He also worked with QB guru Tom House in San Diego this offseason. I think this is the year that he finally shuts everyone up with his gameplay.

19. nyjunc

Not close to Geno but Flacco had success where Geno did not.

and they had a real big time D.

20. BrowningNagle

I lived in Baltimore and still go there a lot for work. The fans down there gave & still give Flacco plenty of shit. He's gotten booed a lot. Its to the point where I tell my baltimore friends that as a Jets fan I would kill for a guy like Flacco!